Requesting Help w/Feeding

Old February 8th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Requesting Help w/Feeding

In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn and 4
at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that stayed
down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy seems to
have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides worrying about
weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or two), I have boy cats
for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much dry causing crystals
in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of all that I'm trying to
wean them off of the dry food altogether.

My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer is
11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my vet to
get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on this
group.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old February 8th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
struvite crystals in the boys!!!!

So..... any advice that I can actually implement?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 8th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like your vet received her education in nutrition from a Hill's sales
rep.

This is the feeding plan I would follow: 16 kcals/lb/day

"Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds" -- 120 kcals/day

"Archer is 11 pound" -- 176 kcals/day

"Ozzy is 12 pounds" - - 130 kcals/day

"Sammy is 20 pounds" - - 320 kcals/day. (You might want to think about a
weight loss program for him).

Fancy Feast diets average about 75 - 85 kcals a 3 oz can depending on the
line (Grilled, Flaked, Gourmet, etc). You can get the caloric content of
the diets you're feeding by calling Fancy Feast directly. While you have
them on the line, ask them to send you the typical analyses for the diets.

Phil

Old February 8th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

[...]

I have 4 indoor only cats (3 female and 1 bully male) and I keep 2
kinds of dry available at all times plus they get 2 cans Fancy Feast
in AM and PM and have had no problems with excessive weight or
crystals in the urine and blockage and they go yearly for checkups.
Also I give them a small can of people tuna once a month as a treat
and they get a bit of milk in the evening because the 17 year old
likes it but does not drink a lot of it. The rest do not care for it.
Before someone tells me it is bad for them read on as to what the vet
says below.

3 of them including the male are about 5 years and 1 is about 17
years. The three youngest all weight about 10 to 15 pounds and the 17
year female tortie who has always been small weighs 6.5 pounds. She
weighed 6 at 4 years. She had all the tests recommended for a cat her
age and everything came back within normal range. The vet says they
are all healthly and well cats so I will continue feeding as I am.

I feed Friskies feline favorites dry always and give then one other
dry which varies for something different. The FF canned I give them a
can of flaked and one of grilled AM and PM.

One question: If you do not think the vet knows what they are talking
about why go to them??

Old February 8th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I got them to send me a nutritional chart a few years ago
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/fancy_feast_values/), but it's a good idea to
ask again.

I'm assuming the ratios you gave above are for maintaining current weight,
how much less should I give Sammy for a gradual weight loss? Also, any
suggestions on how I can get her to eat separately from the rest and quit
browsing from all bowls like they currently do? I have a "problem child" in
Demi who is extremely shy and won't eat at all until everyone else if
finished, so I need to figure out how to get only one cat out of five to
lose weight - SIGH!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 8th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"kraut" wrote in message

[...]

From what I've heard, for males, the crystals can develop suddenly and 5yo
is still rather young. Since a cat's natural prey is ~70% water I think
it's best to give them food that is also 70% water (as opposed to 10% water
as is even the best dry food).

year female tortie who has always been small weighs 6.5 pounds. She
weighed 6 at 4 years. She had all the tests recommended for a cat her
age and everything came back within normal range. The vet says they
are all healthly and well cats so I will continue feeding as I am.

Some cats are just naturally prone to overweight even eating the same diet.
Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats, but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
Maine Coon since she has all of their other characteristics. Maine Coons,
because they were bred for a severely cold climate, tend to carry more body
weight than other cats. Of course, since we live in Houston and since she
never goes outside anyway, this is not needed and she really should lose a
bit of weight.

I feed Friskies feline favorites dry always and give then one other
dry which varies for something different. The FF canned I give them a
can of flaked and one of grilled AM and PM.

One question: If you do not think the vet knows what they are talking
about why go to them??

In every other matter he has been very knowledgeable, and I didn't talk to
him I talked to the vet tech (granted, she's probably giving the advice the
female vet would (Dr. French is an "associate" out of her office)). Dr.
French is the vet who came to our house last year to administer the
euthanasia to our 17-year-old who was dying of a brain tumor and had gone
downhill fast. He's very kind and, as I mentioned, has always been great in
other areas, so I trust him for everything else.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 8th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I have a 6 year old male and he weighs 11 pounds - give or take a few
ounces. He gets two cans of fancy feast a day - period! I was
sprinkling a little dry food on top until he got a bladder infection
last summer - with blood - and the vet told me to take him off of ALL
dry food. He maintains his weight very well with the two cans a day
and isn't overweight for his frame.

I have said before, that my last cat was 20 years and 3 months when we
put him to sleep because of loss of his rear legs and sever
hyperthyroidism for a number of years. But he ate nothing but fancy
feast and 20 years is a good life for a cat. He never had any
bladder problems either.

Having more than one kitty is always a problem when it comes to weight
loss for one of them. I think the only way is to feed the hefty once
alone and take up the food that the others leave before letting him
out again.
Sharon

On Feb 8, 2:54�pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"kraut" wrote in message

[...]

From what I've heard, for males, the crystals can develop suddenly and 5yo
[...]

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Old February 8th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

CatNipped wrote:

Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats,
but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
Maine Coon since she has all of their
other characteristics. Maine Coons,
because they were bred for a severely
cold climate, tend to carry more body
weight than other cats. Of course,
since we live in Houston and since she
never goes outside anyway, this is not
needed and she really should lose a bit
of weight.

Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. A
year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. I then
saw that he wasn't fat at all. Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 8th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
---MIKE--- wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats,
but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
Maine Coon since she has all of their
other characteristics. Maine Coons,
because they were bred for a severely
cold climate, tend to carry more body
weight than other cats. Of course,
since we live in Houston and since she
never goes outside anyway, this is not
needed and she really should lose a bit
of weight.

Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. A
year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. I then
saw that he wasn't fat at all. Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.

If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.

The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.

Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.

He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
to *like* watermelon...
Old February 9th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Well, I did not want to admit that Buddy is also a Maine Coon - and he
weighs ONLY 11 pounds - the vet says that is enough for his frame.
Maine Coons will eat ANY thing!!! And they gain weight more easily
than other cats - my opinion. But, he is an only cat and only gets 2
cans of Fancy Feast a day and water. So........... We have NEVER
given him people food and he is NOT interested in it at all.
Sharon

On Feb 8, 6:27�pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
In article ,

---MIKE--- wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

to *like* watermelon...- Hide quoted text -