Advice wanted- vomiting cat

Old February 11th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Advice wanted- vomiting cat

Hello,

This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.

Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.

I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. We
have done better by making sure she always has food available. She
really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. The other cats
NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
issue. I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.

Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
has a 'bad stomach'? I have acid reflux. Can cats have a similar
condition? Are there antacids or something for a cat? It isn't
hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.

Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!!!

Tom & Aster
Old February 11th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

She could have a hairball - and that is why this happens about once a
month. She might be throwing up the food and not getting the hairball
out.

She also may be eating too much too fast. I would try feeding more
often with less quantity and give her some Temptations for hairballs.
Sharon

Old February 11th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

My experience with this is that they do this when they eat too
quickly. This often happens in multiple cat households. Continue to
feed her separately, if you can accomplish that, it is a good thing
and try to limit the times she actually runs out of food.

Keep working on getting her to eat soft food, too. I think sometimes
the dry foods have more of this sort of effect on cats than soft
foods. I am not an expert, though, this is only my opinion, there are
others on this board that are far more educated about this than I.

Good luck ;-)
Old February 12th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

One problem with dry food is that after eating it, the cat is likely to
drink some water. Then the dry food expands and can cause the cat to
vomit. My cats only get a little dry food at noon and bed time. The
main meals are canned (Wellness). I put it down a little at a time so
Tiger won't pig out (and vomit). Amber will eat her portion and walk
away for a few minutes. Tiger doesn't get more until Amber returns for
more. Since I am eating at the same time I have to get up several times
to replenish their dishes.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 12th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom:

I have several good articles on my website dealing with special diets
for cats and the health problems associated with them. Go to the index
page and use the search engine.

Hope you find some good advice or an answer.

Cheers

Russell

http://www.catnews.org

Old February 12th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 9:01*pm, wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

[...]

http://www.catnews.org- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the help. At least I'm glad to hear it's not a totally
unheard of issue. I think some type of "dispenser" is best, cause
feeding smaller amounts throughout the day and never letting the dish
get empty helps. She used to have a sister who passed away at 1 year
old, we **think** an aneurysm or just something and it was over in 30
seconds. But- at that time they didn't get fed separately, and the
cat who passed on was fat. So- Aster is probably conditioned to eat
fast out of fear of her food getting eaten. But we make it PHYSICALLY
IMPOSSIBLE for the other cats to get her food. I've thought about the
dry food expanding in water thing too. Makes sense, and we should
give wet food another try and/or look for the gluten again. We had
some wet foods that the vet gave us to try, (going back about a year
or more) and she absolutely would not touch the stuff. Seeing as she
was so skinny, we didn't want her not eating at all, and THEN the big
pet food scare came out and I'm paranoid so I threw it all out.
Didn't care if it was on the list or not, it went in the trash.

I might as well ask this slightly gross question. Deli Cat is an
orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige. Any suggestions
on what's the best way to get those stains out? We might very well
rip all the carpet out anyway, but would a Rug Shampooer like you rent
at the Supermarket get it out? We have "Spot Shot" and I think that
stuff is actually taking the dye out of the carpet it's so darn
potent!

Thanks again!
Tom
Old February 12th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

snip

Deli Cat is an
orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.

Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to the
dye in the food. Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye in
the food . Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any dies.

If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet z/d a
shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
hypersensitivity. . Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is split
with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below the
immune response threshold of the cat. The cat's immune response threshold
is ~10,000 daltons, and the average molecular weight of the proteins in z/d
is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might want to
have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
gastrointestinal tract.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old February 12th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 12, 9:36*am, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:

On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

[...]

I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
doesn't work, back to the vet. The middle sentences
of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! LOL,
thanks for the tip though!!

"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
"OK - the answer: The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
is a cat's immune response threshold"
"What is 4?"
"No, sorry. We were looking for 6,000. Pick again"
"OK- I will take Movies for $400"

Tom
Old February 12th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:

On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

[...]

All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't detect
the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.

BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.

On second thought- I have a better idea---

Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find her
a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell him
its because you're too dumb to have a cat.

Old February 13th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 12, 5:00*pm, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Phil P." wrote:

wrote in message

On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:

On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

[...]

its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. YOU typed
Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
what that middle part meant. Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.

That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
to have a cat? You must be the group snob. I'm a guy with 3 cats
chatting - Nice to meet you.