Diet Update - Ping Phil

Old February 19th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Diet Update - Ping Phil

It's been a little over a week and Sammy has lost 2.5 ounces with none of
the other cats losing any weight. I think that almost eliminating the dry
food (we're down to a third of a cup once a day for all 5 cats) has been the
key. Next week I'm going to eliminate the dry food altogether and that will
set my mind at ease about the boys developing struvite crystals or Sammy
becoming obese and having to deal with the health problems that causes.

Phil, thanks for all the advice - as usual your were spot on and helped me
when even my vet's tech was wrong! I'll keep you updated about Sammy's
weight loss - I think 2.5 ounces a week is pretty good and it may increase a
bit after the dry food is eliminated.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old February 22nd 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
It's been a little over a week and Sammy has lost 2.5 ounces with none of
the other cats losing any weight. I think that almost eliminating the dry
food (we're down to a third of a cup once a day for all 5 cats) has been

the
key. Next week I'm going to eliminate the dry food altogether and that

will
set my mind at ease about the boys developing struvite crystals or Sammy
becoming obese and having to deal with the health problems that causes.

Phil, thanks for all the advice - as usual your were spot on and helped me
when even my vet's tech was wrong! I'll keep you updated about Sammy's
weight loss - I think 2.5 ounces a week is pretty good and it may increase

bit after the dry food is eliminated.

That's great news.

The rate of weight loss might fluctuate a bit so don't get discouraged.

Which scale did you get?

Good luck,

Phil

Old February 22nd 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

The Redmon 7462 Digital Baby Scale - this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Redmon-Weigh-G...3101480&sr=8-2
(or http://tinyurl.com/2voxmc). I like it because it has a very large
weighing surface (23" x 14") and because the design makes it completely
stable (it's only 2" high so the cats don't feel nervous sitting on it). I
keep it in the same spot on a table as well as weighing them at the same
time every day so there are no "variables" to consider, and they'll jump up
there and sit on it of their own accord (of course it helps that I give them
a treat whenever I weigh them ;). So far it's been really accurate, I'm
not seeing any fluctuations except what I'd expected from the change in
diet.

I'm even more eager to get them off dry food altoghter after reading about
yet another male cat with a blockage here, so starting Monday it will be
just canned for them. I'm experimenting with other flavors of Fancy Feast
(my girls only liked the pate varieties, but the boys are more
adventurous) - do you have any recommendations regarding the benefits of one
flavor over another?

Again, thanks for all your help, I'm feeling much better about their diet
and their healthy future.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Good luck,

Phil

Old February 22nd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I'm trying to get all my cats on a totally canned diet but a couple of them
start getting diarrhea if they eat more than about a quarter 5.5 oz can a
day! Especially Hailey. Any suggestions on how to get them to tolerate it
better? Three of them are fine and if I gradually increase the amount
they're getting they are fine. Hailey always seems to get the runs if I
increase it, even slowly. Having had cats with kidney issues I really want
to get them mostly off the dry.

Bonnie

Old February 22nd 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"22brix" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if I can help - I didn't experience that, however.... There's
a difference between diarrhea and just runny or soft stools. Diarrhea is
watery and frequent (8 - 10 times a day), runny or soft stools once or twice
a day is not as dangerous (causing dehydration), and will usually not cause
any medical problems. If the canned food is just causing runny or soft
stools and not actual diarrhea, then I'd stick it out for a week or so to
see if it clears up on its own.

A few years ago I began feeding my cats Fancy Feast along with their dry
food and it was an instant hit - they ate more and more of that and less and
less of the dry food until they're now at a point where I'm able to
discontinue the dry food without worrying about them not eating enough.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 22nd 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"22brix" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe diarrhea is too strong a word! Hailey has always had a bit of
intolerance to new foods--not from not wanting to eat it, he's a pig! But
he always seems to get soft, smelly stools with any kind of canned food,
even when I introduce it slowly. He has long fluffy pantaloons that get
smeared with smelly stuff and highly resents being cleaned! He doesn't
have that problem with dry food but I worry about his kidneys--he is
Tortle's brother. I don't if any of this is genetic--do some cats have more
of a propensity to kidney issues and would they carry over to siblings?

Bonnie

Old February 25th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"22brix" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"22brix" wrote in message

[...]

If it's not diarrhea then I'd try to stick to the canned food - you can get
your vet or a groomer to trim his pantaloons. The soft stools should clear
up after a week or two. I think it's more beneficial for his kidneys to be
on the canned food. I do think genetics may have something to do with it,
but male cats in general have more problems with struvite crystals causing a
blockage simply because the opening of the urethra is narrower in males.

Hugs,

CatNipped