Question about Feline Leukemia and FIV test

Old February 29th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Question about Feline Leukemia and FIV test

As I posted earlier, I am taking in a stray cat that we found. I had
the cat tested for leukemia and FIV and she is negative. She was
tested one week after we caught her and brought her inside. My
question is, should I have her tested again? Meaning, how quickly
does something show up in a cat's system to be detected by the test?
If she had come in contact with an infected cat the day before I
caught her, would that show up in a test done a week later?

Thanks.

S.
**visit me and my cats at www.island-cats.com**
Old February 29th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Cindy,
Did you ever have a cat that tested negative and then later tested positive?

Guess I need to keep my other cats away from this new one...but for how
long? I can't keep them separate for 3 months.

S.
---
"cindys" wrote in message

wrote in message
As I posted earlier, I am taking in a stray cat that we found. I had
the cat tested for leukemia and FIV and she is negative. She was
tested one week after we caught her and brought her inside. My
question is, should I have her tested again?

I would. And I have done so on more than one occasion when I was fostering
cats, even when the shelter already had the cat tested.

Meaning, how quickly
does something show up in a cat's system to be detected by the test?

I can't remember the window. It's at least a few weeks, but I think it
might be up to three months (someone else might know better than I do).

If she had come in contact with an infected cat the day before I
caught her, would that show up in a test done a week later?

Probably not.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Old February 29th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Hi,

I am going through the whole thing with a stray cat we are taking in.
The waiting period is about two months.

Double check with the vet though to be sure.

Thanks,
Melissa
Old February 29th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Sorry about the double post...

They generally say it is, like human aides, most usually transmitted
sexually. If that is a female cat, and your two boys are vaccinated...
If the female is not pregnant, there is a pretty good chance that the
original test is good to go on.

Do double check with your vet. Feline Aids can be spread in other
ways... through bites and so forth... saliva... But usually it is
associated with sexual contact just human AIDS is.

It is better to have the test done again... but if that kitty that you
have there isn't pregnant or anything... chances are good you are
safe.

BUT, better to go with caution. That is just my feeling.

Thanks,
Melissa
Old February 29th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Melissa, what are you doing in the meantime...just keeping the stray
separate from your other cats for 2 months? That isn't going to be easy to
do...

S.

Old February 29th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

The stray was not pregnant...she is spayed now. What about leukemia? My
other 2 cats have not been vaccinated for leukemia since they are strictly
indoor cats.

I just brought the stray home today....she is separated from my other 2 but
now I'm concerned about introducing all of them.

Old February 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
As I posted earlier, I am taking in a stray cat that we found. I had
the cat tested for leukemia and FIV and she is negative. She was
tested one week after we caught her and brought her inside. My
question is, should I have her tested again? Meaning, how quickly
does something show up in a cat's system to be detected by the test?

Depends on which test was run. The in-house ELISA (enzyme-linked
immunosorbent assay) Snap test can detect *circulating* FeLV antigen in
about 2-4 weeks- possibly less in some cats- after infection. The IFA
(immunofluorescent antibody) assay- which can only be run buy a diagnostic
lab- can take ~4 weeks, and sometimes up to 12 weeks to detect an infection.
The IFA takes longer to produce a postive result because it tests for FeLV
in the leukocytes and platelets which usually means virus has to reach the
bone marrow before it can be detected.

For FIV- it usually takes about 8 -12 weeks for antibodies to develop after
the initial infection. Kittens 6-8 months old can test positive for FIV
from receiving FIV antibodies from their mother through colostrum *without*
being infected. An FIV-vaccinated cat will also test postive as well as her
kittens. .

If she had come in contact with an infected cat the day before I
caught her, would that show up in a test done a week later?

Probably not-- *but* given her age and the length of time she has lived
outdoors, its very unlikely the results were false negatives. False postives
are common because the ELISA Snaps are very, very sensitive- which also
makes them very unlikely to produce false negatives..

Phil

Old February 29th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Thanks, Phil. The cat was tested at my vet's office...I assume it would be
the ELISA test because they were able to get immediate results.

So do you think I'm safe with introducing the new cat to my other ones? I
don't plan on doing it immediately, probably in a week or two. My current
cats have not been vaccinated for leukemia (well, one was initally but I
haven't updated his vaccination in at least 3 years).

I can have the new cat retested....how soon should I do so?

Old February 29th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

I dare not advise. But I do have the cat I am taking in seperate from
my two boys. I just don't dare to risk it. He is in a large caged area
in my warm barn. I know... I feel really badly about it, but he is
safe and warm and dry and well fed and I spend a good amount of time
there with him. I cannot wait to bring him inside.

I was told, with another stray we brought in that it is usually
sexually transmitted - not 100 % of the time, but the risks are
greater for sexually active cats. So if your cat has been neutered and
showed no signs of pregnancy... I think you are pretty safe.

BUT, I would consult the vet. I am not an expert by any stretch.

Good luck :-) You are doing the right thing :-) You will find that is
probably going to be one of the nicest cats you have ever had ;-)

LOL

Let us know how it goes ;-)

Old March 1st 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks, Phil. The cat was tested at my vet's office...I assume it would

be
the ELISA test because they were able to get immediate results.

Snap negatives are very reliable- its the positives that aren't.

So do you think I'm safe with introducing the new cat to my other ones? I
don't plan on doing it immediately, probably in a week or two. My current
cats have not been vaccinated for leukemia (well, one was initially but I
haven't updated his vaccination in at least 3 years).

I can have the new cat retested....how soon should I do so?

If you do the introduction the right way (see my other post to you), it
should take about 2-3 weeks before you allow the cats to mingle. That would
be about 3-4 weeks after the new cat was initially tested. If you want peace
of mind, that would be a good time to have her retested. If she tests
negative again for FeLV after a month- she's probably negative. If you want
to retest her for FIV, you should wait at least 3 months from her last test-
although I think an FIV retest is unnecessary.

Good luck with your cat! She's a lucky a cat because she has you.

Phil

"Phil P." wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

being infected. An FIV-vaccinated cat will also test positive as well as
her
kittens. .

If she had come in contact with an infected cat the day before I
caught her, would that show up in a test done a week later?

Probably not-- *but* given her age and the length of time she has lived
outdoors, its very unlikely the results were false negatives. False
positives