New Kitten Worries

Old March 2nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default New Kitten Worries

We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.
We already have an 8 year old here so following advice found on the
net we are trying to keep them apart until they are used to each
other's scent etc.

Overnight we kept the kitten shut in a spare bedroom - room temp
heated and confortable and with his food, drink and a clean tray. He
cried (meowed) for quite sometime at first when we shut him in there
until he fell asleep. We popped out this morning and he was crying
again when we shut him in there.

His toiletting (poo) seems quite loose - worried he has mild diorrhea
but we don't know if that's normal for a cat this age?

Otherwise he seems quite healthy and friendly - he follows us around
most of the time and climbs all over us.

Just want a bit of reassurance that this is all normal!

Thanks all
Old March 2nd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail[_2_]

Do not give him milk. THis may cause diarrhea. You should bring a stool
sample to the vet to check for parasites. Young kittens often have worms.
Feed high quality canned kitten food.
Gail

Old March 2nd 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Are you feeding him the same food that he was getting before you got him? A
change in food can cause loose stools. Also, he may need to be checked for
internal parasites. The crying is normal; afterall, he is in a strange
place. You may want to leave a radio with soft music on in the room.

Congratulations on adopting a black cat. Did you know that black cats are
the least adoptable cats? Good luck with your new kitty!

Sue
---

Old March 3rd 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_3_]

wrote in message
We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.

Since you bought the kitten, didn't the breeder give you any information?

Old March 3rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I also just adopted a 6 month old black girl cat. I just mixed her in with
the 4 year old black cat who had been lonely for her best friend who had
died 2 years ago. A few hisses and they get along fine, now.

The kitten's stool was very loose and awfully stinky so I took her off
canned food and have just been giving her dry kitten food. Big improvement.
I will shortly be bringing in a stool sample to the vet.

Barb

No worries Pat Cat anecdotes 21 July 19th 07 06:54 PM
Dulce Mae worries about me Susan M Cat anecdotes 0 March 1st 06 06:53 PM
Dulce Mae worries about me polonca12000 Cat anecdotes 0 February 26th 06 07:19 PM
Dulce Mae worries about me jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 February 26th 06 12:13 AM