****ed Off At My ****ing Cat...

Old March 12th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

Default ****ed Off At My ****ing Cat...

I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
appreciate any ideas.
Old March 12th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

On Mar 12, 10:06 am, "Matthew" wrote:
"AR" wrote in message

[...]

Anger management

For me or the cat?
Old March 12th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"AR" wrote in message

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't blame
him, I would too.

Old March 12th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

On Mar 12, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"AR" wrote in message

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't blame
him, I would too.

Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
house!---Geez!
Old March 12th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:57:49 -0700, AR wrote:

[...]

IMHO It has now become a game. Enjoy! MLB

Old March 12th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AR" wrote in message

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
blame
him, I would too.

Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
house!---Geez!

No, she doesn't.

I seem to recall your posting here before about the same problem.

Did you take the advice given, and confine your cat to a smallish room with
bed and toys, box and food and water, going to visit him often? No rugs on
the floor.

He will go in his box to avoid walking or lying in his own mess. Cats are
creatures of habit, so he will get used to going in his box. You let him
out, he does it again, you put him back in confinement.

Meanwhile, you leave the goddamned door to your bathroom closed.

My vet said, some cats simply prefer to pee on fabric.

Using the method above, we got my cat to stop using our dining room rug to
pee on. She no longer has to be confined--ever. And she never goes there.

Old March 12th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

"AR" wrote in message

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
blame
him, I would too.

Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
house!---Geez!

They do make medication for your temper problem. Maybe seeing a counselor
would help with those problems of control and inadequacy your are feeling.
Maybe join a group to talk about your feelings. I would love to see how you
explain to everyone how a cat who weighs less than you, has a smaller brain
than you is out thinking you and making you look like a fool having all
these temper tantrums running around your house.

I wonder if you are hearing voices yet?

Whoops! I seemed to have fed the resident troll by mistake. I don't
have a small room without a rug unfortunately. I was trying to do the
something similar by taking the food away for a while (he free feeds
all day) and putting the mat in it's place to punish him that way so
you can see if he does it, he doesn't get the food. Maybe I could try
a long leash on his collar with his food and toys and litter box
accessible, to see if he will then be good if I let him off the leash.
We have a glassed in terrace with plenty of windows so he can stay
there. He sleeps on the couch there on top of a soft blanket I fold up
for him.
I was keeping the bathroom door locked and the rug up in the bath, but
I forget to close it sometimes and the rug was down after a shower. He
does get let out to go outside every day almost, but he always comes
back, so he's not trying to escape...LOL! He's got it too good there!
I read that cats don't care for the smell of citrus, so maybe I can
get a citrus scented air freshener for the bath, and spray the rug
with it too. Anyone know if that's true?

One of these ideas should work. I never considered he thought it was a
game, but why would he do it if he knows there are consequences he
doesn't like? Have no idea how a cat's brain works though.
Old March 12th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"AR" wrote in message
[...]

No, he does *not* know it's "wrong." You are trying to attribute human
characteristics to your cat. Moreover, your language indicates a distinct
lack of compassion for your cat. Please think about what you are doing and
think about the fact that cats do not communicate in the same ways as we do.

Next: *Many* cats will urinate on bath mats, particularly if this is the
type of bath mat with a rubberized backing. The rubberized backing on many
mats include a type of product that mimics fish oil to cats, so this is a
common problem. The solution is to get another mat (without rubberized
backing) or hang the mat where it is out of the reach of your cat. I am
assuming this is the type used when you get out of a bath. If not, and if
it is simply one used for general purpose, you may need to get rid of it.

MaryL

Old March 13th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AR" wrote

Whoops! I seemed to have fed the resident troll by mistake. I don't
have a small room without a rug unfortunately. I was trying to do the
something similar by taking the food away for a while (he free feeds
all day) and putting the mat in it's place to punish him that way so
you can see if he does it, he doesn't get the food.

You're an idiot. Take your cat to the nearest shelter.

Old March 13th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

OUCH!

I agree though... this person seems to want to ask for advice, but
when good advice is given, this person doesn't seem to be very good at
giving the advice a fair shake.

AR, you actually have to TRY out the methods that have been offered to
you instead of griping about your problems and/or why the solutions
will not work.

Saying that this won't work because of this and that and that won't
work because of this and that... Of course it won't work if you don't
give it a fair try.

Cats are not people. They are not going to figure out why you are with-
holding food (when you place the soiled mat in the place of a food
dish) or why you are angry because the cat soiled your mat, I don't
care how smart the cat is. They are not going to equate these things.

You say you spoil the cat... do you? Does the cat feel spoiled
(because it has a soft blanket to lay on)? I doubt it.

Neither here nor there, you also stated, I THINK, awhile back, that
you were keeping your cat at someone elses home during a change in
your own?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what else has been going on in
this cats life? Has he/she had some major changes in its habitat
lately?

I would follow any and all advice offered here and then go from there.
TRY IT before you decide it won't work!

Hope this helps!

New arrangements - cats really pissed! Nik Simpson Cat anecdotes 0 May 24th 07 07:17 PM
Cat crapping and pissing in our bed. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 41 February 7th 07 05:12 AM
I'm so pissed! MaryL Cat health & behaviour 152 June 20th 04 02:05 AM
I'm pissed John Biltz Cat anecdotes 16 February 3rd 04 12:56 AM
one pissed off cat Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 15 September 16th 03 12:07 PM