Sammy and Hunter - Help!

Old April 10th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Sammy and Hunter - Help!

Hunter is at the S.N.A.P clinic getting his "snip" - they're going to call
me between 2 and 4 today to let me know how he did and when to come pick him
up. Again, purrs for his uneventful surgery would be greatly appreciated.

Sammy is going to be a problem. *NOT* because she is so big and could bully
Hunter but because she is such a big *WUSS*! She has been very, very edgy
since hunter has been in the house, even though she hasn't seen him (I'm
sure she can still smell and hear him). She won't eat because she's afraid
to stay upstairs (I had to sit down next to her this morning to even get her
to take a few bites - the whole while she kept stopping to look around
nervously).

I don't want her to get sick from nerves as she did when we tried to home
Tayla, but I am determined that sweet little Hunter will have a home with us
(actually Tayla would have too if she hadn't been so dangerously aggressive
with the (then) 10 week old boys). It's going to be 2 more months before
Sammy will even be able to see Hunter, then more time being separated by
screen or cage. However, I want to start taking care of her nerves *now*
before she has a chance to make herself sick. I'm thinking of getting
something for her nerves from the vet this weekend.

Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 10th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Anybody ever heard of Homeopet Anxiety?
http://www.petsupply-store.com/homeo...ml-p-2667.html

My vet said this is an over-the-counter medication.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 10th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Homeopet Anxiety Drops

I've googled it with "+ side effects", "+ prolonged use", "+ complaints",
and "+ adverse reactions" and I haven't seen any warnings at all about it.
It appears to be totally natural substances (which doesn't always mean it's
safe) and there is *no* listed "overdose" limit (it says it can be
administered every 15 minutes if needed). It appears to be mostly chamomile
(tea?). The ingredients listed a Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in
purified water.

Comments anyone? I'm not too sure about the phosphorus and borax, but the
chamomilla seems innocuous.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 10th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Why are you keeping them separated?

Old April 10th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
Why are you keeping them separated?

It's going to be 2 more months before Sammy will even be able to see
Hunter, then more time being separated by

screen or cage.

Hunter is a stray we just brought inside. He just got his feline distemper
and rabies shots last Saturday and they test him for FIV and FeLV at the
same time. Although he tested negative the vet said that if he'd been
exposed in the last few days before the test that it wouldn't show up as a
positive until after 60 days. So until he can be tested again he'll be kept
separated from the other 5. Even after he's cleared there is going to be a
slow introduction (starting with a door with a cut out lower half that has
been screened - and putting him in a very large dog kennel in our great room
so he can see and be seen without being able to bully or be bullied).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 11th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

"CatNipped" wrote:

It appears to be mostly chamomile
(tea?). The ingredients listed a Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in
purified water.

Actually, there is no chamomile in it. Nor is there any phosphorus,
rhododendron (luckily, since it's poisonous), borax, or theridion
(derived from a poisonous(?) spider).

The "6c&30c" indicates that this is a true homeopathic concoction, not
an herbal or hybrid. The "6c" indicates a dilution down to one part of
the mother tincture in a trillion (100^6); and the "30c" indicates a
dilution to one part in what?...a novemdecillion?

Anyway, obviously not even one molecule of any of those ingredients is
likely to be found in a sample of the concoction. So what you would be
giving your cat would be water and alcohol.
--

Wayne M.
Old April 11th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's the alcohol, but it seems to be working so far - she's stayed
upstairs and hung out with us all last evening instead of hiding under the
bed and this morning she was eating again.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 11th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (4/11/2008 10:55 PM):
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Alcohol *is* actually said to be good for anxiety.

Meep is now on amytriptyline for her nerves (she's very stressy, and
internalizes: thus the cystitis). Too early to report, but she's doing
much better than she was on the clomicalm. She even played with me
tonight, and just zoomed through behind me as I wrote this.

And she's very, very talkative. And more demanding than normal

I think it's working.

jmc
Old April 11th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Misty was on amytriptyline for many years and until she died at 19, and
it never caused her any problems (and cured her inappropriate urination
on stove, counter, rug, etc.). Did you know you can get the
prescription from your vet and get it filled for less at Walmart? Our
nice vet put us on to that fact. Saved us quite a bit over the years.
Bobble
Old April 12th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Bobblespin exclaimed (4/11/2008 11:52 PM):
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

That would be helpful if we had a WalMart here. I'm in Australia.
However, that's good to know because we'll all be in the US again before
the end of the summer. I did know it's a human drug, used for depression.

jmc

My mighty hunter Matthew Cat anecdotes 1 October 10th 06 09:02 PM
The Mighty Bug Hunter jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 June 15th 05 06:46 PM
Sammy - big moth hunter Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 15 September 8th 04 06:57 AM
Cat hunter Mermaid Cat rescue 10 June 2nd 04 03:10 AM
My cat the hunter Ablang Cats - misc 14 March 23rd 04 06:33 AM