Advice on feeding 2 kittens recovered from inside kitchen wall today

Old May 4th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Greg Bailey

Default Advice on feeding 2 kittens recovered from inside kitchen wall today

Last night, we heard some noises coming from inside the wall in our kitchen.
This morning, it became evident that these noises were at least one, and
most likely two, small cats.

Three squares of plaster and lathe removal later ... missed on the first
attempt, plus we have an old house so it was a bit tougher than cutting
holes in sheet rock ... we had pulled two kittens out of the wall, one a
cream colored tabby male, the other a smoky dark gray to black female.

Obviously, a mama cat had crawled underneath the house and given birth, and
somehow ... and we still don't know exactly how ... these kittens ended up
inside our wall.

We are a cat family ... although our current cat, a nearly 4-year-old Maine
Coon/Norwegian Forest Cat mix, is none-too-happy with the interlopers, but
he will get used to them ... and we plan to keep these cats. After what we
went through to get them out, there's no way we could give them up, the
bonding was like immediate.

I called our vet, who we have a really good relationship with, who gave us a
bit of advice and, even though it was after hours, let us know that one of
their techs would be at the office at a certain time and for us to take the
cats down there to have them checked out.

They were both alert and active ... and quite flea-bitten, they put some
Advantage on them even though they're still probably too young for Advantage
.... and seem to be none the worse for the experience. We're not quite sure
how old these cats are, probably three to four weeks, they both fit in the
palm of your hand they're so tiny, and they are a bit unsteady on their
feet, but their eyes are wide open.

The vet advised us to keep them on formula for another week or two, every
three to four hours. However, we've done that during the day and it simply
is not satisfying their hunger, we feed the amount of formula the vet
suggested and within an hour they are screaming with hunger.

So, I went to the pet store and picked up a few 3-ounce cans of kitten food,
and seeing that it was very soft consistency and just to see what would
happen, I gave them some of that. And they absolutely devoured it, they were
ravenous to the point of chewing on the styrofoam plate that I served it to
them on to try to get the crumbs. And it really seems to have satisfied
their hunger a lot more than the formula was doing. Between them, they ate
half of the 3-ounce can, and this was an hour, hour-and-a-half or so after
they had formula.

I just wanted to see if anyone here could tell me ... I don't want to call
the vet after hours again with a food question, so it would be Monday before
I could find it out from them ... should we, for a specific reason or
reasons, be continuing to give these cats formula (the vet also advised an
occasional bit of Pediolyte), or should we go ahead and make the jump to
regular food, or should we maybe do a combo of the two?

Old May 4th 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Greg Bailey wrote:

I just wanted to see if anyone here could tell me ... I don't want to call
the vet after hours again with a food question, so it would be Monday before
I could find it out from them ... should we, for a specific reason or
reasons, be continuing to give these cats formula (the vet also advised an
occasional bit of Pediolyte), or should we go ahead and make the jump to
regular food, or should we maybe do a combo of the two?

Wow, great save! Those are a couple of lucky kittens!

If they are handling kitten food well, I'd let them eat it. I think it
would help to mix the formula with the kitten food so they get the
benefit of both.

Watch closely for diarrhea and get them to an emergency vet right away
if that develops.

Let us know how they're doing,

Rhonda

Old May 4th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

By the way, any way of getting under tha house in that area and looking
for more kittens? Maybe at least shining a strong light to see any
glowing eyes?

Rhonda

Old May 4th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Greg Bailey

I looked and didn't see any more.

I think I've seen the mama cat around, but while I feel bad that she
probably doesn't know what happened to her kittens, as I think I said in my
first post, this is a feral stray that has been around the neighborhood for
a few years (and is rather mean), and these kittens were probably destined
to be feral strays and serial reproducers if they had not made their way
into our wall, so we've prevented that for at least two cats (soon as
they're old enough, they'll be neutered).

My family has always gone to the Humane Society for cats ... we actually got
our Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest Cat mix at the Humane Society, someone had
gone through the trouble of having him fixed and declawed and then gave him
away, our vet could not believe we got that beautiful of a cat at the Humane
Society ... and my wife always says, we can't save 'em all but we can save
this one, so we look at it like this, we've saved these two.

FYI, I am mixing the canned food with a bit of formula and they're eating it
really well and it seems to be satisfying them a lot better than the
formula, I figure we'll totally do away with the formula as soon as we get
rid of what we got from the vet yesterday. Also, I gave 'em each about 1.5
ML of Pediolyte, wasn't sure how much I needed to give 'em, they didn't like
it much but they took it all.

Plus ... hallelujah and praise the Lord ... they just had their first BM's,
both normal and no diarrhea. I was worried about that but I used the warm
cotton ball trick and it worked in short order.