Myth or not, does talk radio keep cat company

Old May 7th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gregg

Default Myth or not, does talk radio keep cat company

I have yet to prove to my caregiver the cat, misses me and the talk
radio keeps her company, yet the animal sheater said the radio being
on when I am gone does not help the cat loneiness, who is right or
wrong
Old May 8th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Gregg" wrote in message
I have yet to prove to my caregiver the cat, misses me and the talk
radio keeps her company, yet the animal sheater said the radio being
on when I am gone does not help the cat loneiness, who is right or
wrong

It's difficult to know since we can't really hold conversations about radio
vs. no-radio with our cats. However, I am of the opinion that it does
help -- and it certainly can't hurt. I left a radio tuned (moderate volume)
to "easy listening" or classical radio when Duffy was in a bedroom by
himself during the days when I was introducing him to Holly. I think they
are used to companionship and think the sound of a radio or TV would help.
This is especially true if the cat is alone (that is, no other cats for
companionship).

MaryL

Old May 8th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm not sure that anyone can "prove" if a radio helps or not. My
opinion is that it couldn't hurt, as long as it isn't turned on too
loudly.
Old May 8th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Gregg wrote:
I have yet to prove to my caregiver the cat, misses me and the talk
radio keeps her company, yet the animal sheater said the radio being
on when I am gone does not help the cat loneiness, who is right or

I always leave the radio on when I go out - only on easy listening stations
though. Also, our shelters here have a radio on in the cat and dog rooms. I
can't remember where I read it, but I remember a study was done that found
that animals were soothed by music being on - the #1 soothing sound was
country, #2 was classical.

Riannon

Old May 8th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-mhd[_2_]

Gregg wrote:

I have yet to prove to my caregiver the cat, misses me and the talk
radio keeps her company, yet the animal sheater said the radio being
on when I am gone does not help the cat loneiness, who is right or
wrong

If you were locked in a house by yourself would you like to have a
radio or TV?

Would you prefer a companion?

I think a radio is better than leaving the cat in total silence but no
radio fully compensates for being totally alone.

-mhd

Old May 9th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in
:

"Gregg" wrote in message
.
..
I have yet to prove to my caregiver the cat, misses me and the talk
radio keeps her company, yet the animal sheater said the radio being
on when I am gone does not help the cat loneiness, who is right or
wrong

It's difficult to know since we can't really hold conversations about
radio vs. no-radio with our cats. However, I am of the opinion that
it does help -- and it certainly can't hurt. I left a radio tuned
(moderate volume) to "easy listening" or classical radio when Duffy
was in a bedroom by himself during the days when I was introducing him
to Holly. I think they are used to companionship and think the sound
of a radio or TV would help. This is especially true if the cat is
alone (that is, no other cats for companionship).

MaryL

I think a music station will help more than talk. I think talk will
eventually not be "noticed" by the cat but most of my cats have seemed to
like music (played not too loud) so I expect they would like it even if I
weren't home.

Andy