I just checked my cats sugar level

Old June 9th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default I just checked my cats sugar level

before I (forced fed him), it's 197.
He's still very lethargic, doesn't move and doesn't eat unless I force
feed him.
This is his second day on insulin.

Any advice?
Old June 9th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I just wanted to add, that my kitty has been like this for over 3 days
now. I have to force feed him. I put baby food (turkey and other
flavors but it always has veggies mixed in) and pedalyte in a syring
and put it in his mouth. He hates it and it gets all over, but I hear
him swallowing so I know he's getting fed. He's not dehydrated
anymore.

I hope I"m doing this right.
Old June 9th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
before I (forced fed him), it's 197.
He's still very lethargic, doesn't move and doesn't eat unless I force
feed him.
This is his second day on insulin.

Any advice?

I read your two messages in this thread and also your earlier message posted
a couple of days ago. I am *very* concerned for your cat (as I know you
are). First, *do not* use baby food mixed with veggies because they all
include onion, and onion is toxic to cats. You should *only* use chicken or
turkey (not beef or lamb) *plain meat* baby food. You would also need to
get at least 2 or 3 jars of baby food into your cat per day to reach a
minimum level of nutrition. Don't rely on what a syringe "looks like" to
you because syringes can look very large, but that is deceiving when we are
talking about food and not medication.

Second, it is essential to get your cat's sugar under control ASAP. If you
will email me with a valid email address, I will put you in touch with
someone who is an expert in the care of diabetic cats and methods of force
feeding. This is a free service, by the way. (My email addy attached to
this message is valid except that you first need to "take-out-the-litter.")

MaryL

Old June 9th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Hi BP,

Is your kitty under the care of a vet internist? That's where we were
sent when our cat's diabetes was not under control immediately. We had
to have a referral from our regular vet. I'd do that for you kitty
immediately.

Also, 197 is high, but not horrible for the time being. Our cat was at
420 when diagnosed. What you don't want to do is be adjusting the
insulin dose yourself every time you get a reading. They have to be on a
dose for a certain amount of time and then re-evaluated (it's been
awhile -- but I think it was for 1 or 2 weeks.) Also, blood curves taken
over a few hours say more than single blood draws. Our internist would
take fructosimine tests every so often too to get an overall blood sugar
average over time.

I would be more worried about why your cat is lethargic right now than a
single reading. Please check with an internist as soon as you can.

There's a great cat diabetes group that answered tons of my questions.
They are the message board at www.felinediabetes.com. Just sign up for
the board under "communication" in the right hand column. There are
usually people on at all times of the night.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old June 9th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
before I (forced fed him), it's 197.
He's still very lethargic, doesn't move and doesn't eat unless I force
feed him.
This is his second day on insulin.

Any advice?

How much and which type of insulin did your vet prescribe? Is your cat
drinking? Urinating excessively? Lethargy and/or depression in a diabetic
cat may be a result of dehydration.

If your cat's diabetes isn't regulated, he should have a ravenous appetite
and eat like a pig. The fact that he doesn't leads me to suspect
pancreatitis. If that's the case, his diabetes could be secondary to
pancreatitis as a result of destruction or reduction of pancreatic islets
and/or beta cells which contain the insulin. You might want to speak to your
vet about this possibility ASAP. Cats with pancreatitis are at very high
risk of developing hepatic lipidosis from not eating.

Best of luck,

Phil