Male cat getty frisky?

Old June 16th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MsBuscandy

Default Male cat getty frisky?

I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
Why would he start doing this after all this time?

Old June 16th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cathy F.[_2_]

"MsBuscandy" wrote in message
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.

You can't keep up with that? If he has a UTI, he needs the med!

Cathy

Old June 16th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"MsBuscandy" wrote in message
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.
But he seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never
done this before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than
this behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet (
can't afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
Why would he start doing this after all this time?

Did the vet test his urine before prescribing the meds, to make sure it was
a UTI?
You absolutely need to give the meds as directed, "I can't keep up with
that" is bull****.
Is he really humping soft surfaces, or trying to urinate in a place that's
comfortable? Are you sure he is passing urine normally? Does he have any
other symptoms, like crying in pain, hiding, not eating?

Old June 16th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MsBuscandy" wrote in message
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.

WTF?

Take him to a shelter, where someone can be bothered. Asshole. Do you
know that he can die from that infection?

Old June 16th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
. com...

"MsBuscandy" wrote in message
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains,
never acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him
to the vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and
gave me meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up
with that.

WTF?

Take him to a shelter, where someone can be bothered. Asshole. Do you
know that he can die from that infection?

A situation like this can get very serious, very fast. Oh, and did I
mention, very expensive?
What started out as UTI symptoms in our 3-yr-old male cat resulted in PU
surgery. $2100.00 and a whole lot of worrying later, he's on the mend.

Old June 16th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

If you had to take medication twice per day, would that be too much to
keep up with? I'm sorry, but he needs the prescribed dosage for the
recommended time period. If you did not follow through with this, he
probably still has the UTI. This is not only painful for him but can
lead to much more expense for you if you don't take care of it now.
Old June 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

MsBuscandy wrote:
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?

You can't keep up with giving him a pill two times a day for two weeks? Why?
What's the problem? Do you know that if you don't and he has struvite
crystals that he could end up blocking up completely and then you will have a
much worse problem on your hands. If he blocks up he can die within 24-48
hours. Even if he doesn't, did you know he could be in pain right now? Have
you ever had a bladder infection? He could be "humping" the couch as you
describe it because of the pain and is trying to relieve it. Also, you may
have to change his diet as this could have been brought on by what he's
eating. Looks like you need to become better informed about all of this - if
you care about him, you will give him his meds and look into how you can help
him more.

Riannon

Old June 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cathy F.[_2_]

"MsBuscandy" wrote in message
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.
But he seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never
done this before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than
this behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet (
can't afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
Why would he start doing this after all this time?

BTW - if he does have a UTI, he is probably looking for a soft surface on
which to pee - explaining the seemingly 'out of the blue' behavior. My male
cat had a UTI several years ago - he was peeing on soft surfaces: the
laundry, the cushion in the cat bed... no other symptoms - he didn't cry out
while doing it, didn't seem lethargic, just inapprpropriate peeing. It
took 2 courses of antibiotics - had to go to a stronger one for the second
course - to rid him of the infection.

If you've ever had a full-fledged UTI, you know it is really painful when
peeing (the inside walls of the urethra are abraded & so it burns like
crazy) - he's probably just trying to alleviate the associated pain by
seeking out soft surfaces.

Cathy

Old June 17th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 03:11:35 GMT, "MsBuscandy"
wrote:

I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
Why would he start doing this after all this time?

I went through the same behavior when I turned 50 -- he's just
"middle age crazy!" :-D
Old June 17th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

[...]

hahaha! What are you doing tomorrow night?