Flax and cats

Old June 23rd 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jerold Pearson

Default Flax and cats

Is ground fresh flaxseed okay for cats?

Why I ask: My vet suggested I give my cat 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored
Metamucil twice a day to address his colitis. He is 12 years old, male,
neutered, and indoor-only (my cat, not the vet). This has worked for a few
months now, but lately, he has decided not to eat the food I mix the
Metamucil in with, whether canned or dry. And he won't go near pumpkin.

Flax has lots of fiber (as well as lots of Omega-3), so I'd like to see if
he'll eat it and if it works for his colitis. But I don't want to try it
until I know it's safe for cats.

Also: Any ideas on how to get the critter to eat the Metamucil? As I said,
I've mixed it with canned food (both the gravy style and the pate style),
mixed it with dry food and water, and even tried mixing it just with gravy.
He used to eat it all of these ways, but now it's getting harder and harder
to get him to eat it at all.

Also also: Any other sources of fiber I might try, apart from pumpkin,
Metamucil, or flax (if it's safe)?

Thanks.

JEP
Old June 24th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jun 22, 11:29*pm, Jerold Pearson wrote:
[...]

Have you tried plain psylium husk (available at health food stores)?
It's the basis of Metamucil. Maybe he'll tolerate that?
Old June 24th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Have you tried plain psylium husk (available at health food stores)?
It's the basis of Metamucil. Maybe he'll tolerate that?

Since I posted this, I've done some thinking. You might wish to read
this web site: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

Your cat would probably do well on either a raw diet (like Nature's
Variety) or a grain-free canned diet like Wellness. (I feed both of
these to my cats myself.) Putting your cat on a species-appropriate
diet will help with digestive issues. Give it a try for a few weeks
and I'm sure you'll notice a difference.

Rene