Thinking about adopting

Old July 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Thinking about adopting

I know this is a dangerous admission on Usenet, :-) but I'd like
advice.

I've been ten years without a cat, and I'm thinking of adopting a
one-year-old neutered male from the shelter. I worry, though, that
it may not be a good idea because I'm gone every weekday for work for
9.5 hours counting commuting, and during the summer I'm often out
doing yard work. The last time I had a cat, I was working from home
so there was plenty of time to play with him and make him feel secure
as he adjusted to his new home. Then a couple of years later when I
had outside work again I didn't worry about leaving him.

But this time he'd be on his own most of the day, right from the get-
go. He'd be the only pet in the household, and I'm the only human.
And he'll be exclusively an indoor cat -- I'd do that anyway, but
it's especially important since he was declawed before the shelter
got him. What do y'all think?

And assuming that I go ahead with the adoption, is there a helpful
FAQ about choice of food, choice of litterbox and litter, and so
forth? I know I can look in the newsgroup archives, but there are so
many contradictory opinions that I just get confused. Is there some
good authoritative source?

Thanks!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old July 2nd 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dakota

On Jul 2, 4:40*am, Stan Brown wrote:
[...]

Two cats keep each other company; one will probably be lonely and
isolated for that many hours and might get into things to amuse
himself, since they don't read, watch TV, or surf on the computer.
People have very strong opinions about food, but I've fed cats the all-
natural high-end, all the way down to the cheapest off-brand.

I've had cats live healthy lives to age 21 on Meow Mix and Purina and
had one die at age 10 from high-end pet food that contained the
Chinese poisonous substance, so it's a crapshoot, from my experience.

Now my adults get Purina indoors dry (has some greens in it) with some
canned Friskies or 9 Lives, kittens are getting either Purina or Meow
Mix kitten food with a tiny bit of canned.

When I made a lot of money I always bought the high-end stuff, and
since I've been struggling, I don't, so it's a practical choice for
me.

Cats have litter preferences, in some cases, so you may have to try
different ones. Again, I used to buy the very high end stuff, and now
I just buy Priority multi-cat from the Safeway, and they use it just
fine. My kittens don't like the Yesterday's News, although I really
tried to train them to it trying to be "green." I gave up and went
back to the standard stuff. I just have a large litterbox and one
that's a bit smaller and covered, and I have several friends who swear
by the newer electronic ones. Cat size is a contributing factor--I
had one cat so big he needed the jumbo box just to fit his body in
it.

I've worked most of my adult life, and I think that cats are
completely happy as long as they have company in the form of another
cat, and you make sure they are well-cared-for and loved.

Old July 2nd 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Hello,

Because of your schedule, I'd suggest adopting two cats (perhaps
there's a bonded adult pair already at your shelter?) They could keep
each other company while you're out. I originally had just one cat but
now that I have two, I'll never go back to having just one.

Ah, the food issue. I'd suggest (and use myself) a grain free wet
food, such as Wellness or Nature's Variety. Here's a good article on
feline nutrtition: http://www.catinfo.org/

As for litter, as Dakota said, different cats may prefer different
litters. You might start by seeing what brand the shelter uses, since
the cat is used to that, and slowly transition to another brand. I
like Everclean unscented, but I started using the more "green"
scoopable Feline Pine and my cats like that too. You can even offer a
few boxes with different litters and see what your cat(s) prefer.

Good luck and let us know who you decide to adopt.
Old July 2nd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

How about adopting 2 cats??? They can keep each other company when you are
not home. Also, get some interactive-type toys to keep them occupied when
you aren't there.

Good luck....

S.
---
t...

Old July 2nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
---"Stan Brown" wrote in message

t...

[...]

Shikata ga nai...- Hide quoted text -

Adopting a cat is a great idea! If you are afraid that the cat is
going to be lonely, then perhaps a playmate (another cat) would be a
good idea. If you do not want two cats, then I would see how it
goes. Try having the cat by itself for a while and see if the feline
shows any signs of depression. All cats are different and react
differently in situations. As far as cat health, food, litter box
material, and other things such as toys, I found a great book that
answers so many questions and has great advice on raising a happy
healthy cat. check it out on www.catbehaviorsecrets.com

GOOD LUCK with your future feline friend!!!!!!
Old July 2nd 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Stan Brown" wrote

Hi Stan! You got lots of good advice there but I'll add the one disclaimer
on the second cat. Not all cats are happy having a second cat. My cat
Daisy (also a rescue kitty like you are contemplating) is an 'only cat' sort
but she's real happy to have a dog companion. Odd I know, but thats how she
is.

One way to tell a good match is if there is a second cat in his cage with
him. He's apt to like having a second cat around. Good pick would be that
second cat in with him already.

Generic advice, if he seems to get along with other cats but there isnt one
in the cage with him, try a second that is female first. More apt to get
along. You can test this at the facility.

Very good chance the rescue facility already has tested the cat for
compatibility with other pets. Ask. Daisy for example would select the
farthest part of her cage, from any other cats nearby (we didnt notice at
first but they showed us). She doesnt fight with other cats if they leave
her alone, but she will not tolerate others in her area and tends to be
terratorial. Conversely though, she sleeps *on* our dog and does the mutual
butt-sniffing with him.

No, I'm not suggesting a dog. You can't have one indoors for all day and
have a happy dog, nor is just leaving them out in the yard going to solve
anything (short of a farm, this can be abusive to do). My husband is
retired so always has someone around to take him out, minus the short
occasional times when we all go shopping (he's crate trained for those few
times).

Daisy would have been fine as a lone cat during the day if we had no dog.
Her nature leads to it better than a second cat.

Old July 2nd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryce

Stan Brown wrote:

[...]

You have been clean for over eleven years. We never are
completely cured though. After all those years, your resolve
has weakened and you have already contacted a dealer. There
are many anecdotal reports that cat-keepers have lower blood
pressure, higher spirits, and may recover sooner from serious
illness. It has been shown that holding breath while cleaning
a litterbox improves lung function. Stan, after successfully
allowing your body to deteriorate for over a decade, do you
really want to risk slowing down (or even reversing) that trend??

Then go ahead and do it. Two may keep each other company, but
I don't think that's a requirement. Over the years, I have had
one to as many as four at a time. I think two is best. It
completely obscures whodunit when a bit of mischief happens and
they can take turns walking back and forth between you and the
keyboard.

I hope there's somebody to give you a little welcome-home bump
in the ankle soon! Let us know.
Old July 2nd 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Stan Brown wrote in
t:

I know this is a dangerous admission on Usenet, :-) but I'd like
advice.

I've been ten years without a cat, and I'm thinking of adopting a
one-year-old neutered male from the shelter.

..
..
..
..
Thanks!

I adopted two male littermates about a year old in January. I am out of
the house 9.5 to 11.5 hours a day. They keep each other great company
while I am gone and their interactions are just another source of fun for
me. One of them has bonded with me very much and the other is a bit more
nervous but is getting less so each day. When I get home they both come
out and great me for a few minutes and then either play in the living
room or go back to their own room and nap in their window. Two cats are
a slight bit more work and, of course, almost double the expense but it
is well worth it for me knowing they just don't get lonsome while I am
gone. It is not hard to find two cats in a single cage at any shelter
where you are asked to take both. Give this some consideration.

Andy
Old July 3rd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"outsider" wrote in message
Stan Brown wrote in
t:

I know this is a dangerous admission on Usenet, :-) but I'd like
advice.

I've been ten years without a cat, and I'm thinking of adopting a
one-year-old neutered male from the shelter.

.
.
.
.
Thanks!

I adopted two male littermates about a year old in January. I am out of
the house 9.5 to 11.5 hours a day. They keep each other great company
while I am gone and their interactions are just another source of fun for
me. One of them has bonded with me very much and the other is a bit more
nervous but is getting less so each day. When I get home they both come
out and great me for a few minutes and then either play in the living
room or go back to their own room and nap in their window. Two cats are
a slight bit more work and, of course, almost double the expense but it
is well worth it for me knowing they just don't get lonsome while I am
gone. It is not hard to find two cats in a single cage at any shelter
where you are asked to take both. Give this some consideration.

This is just such a great idea! I want to do this next time I adopt.

Old July 3rd 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
But this time he'd be on his own most of the day, right from the get-
go. He'd be the only pet in the household, and I'm the only human.
And he'll be exclusively an indoor cat -- I'd do that anyway, but
it's especially important since he was declawed before the shelter
got him. What do y'all think?

I think you should adopt two, bonded adult cats. Not only as playmates for
each other and to keep each company when you're not home, but also to make
the transition from the shelter and adaptation to your home much easier on
them. They would provide security and comfort for each other during the
transition period.

Since you're already concerned about a single cat being alone most of the
day, its very possible you'll adopt a companion for him. Its always better
to adopt two cats together that are already bonded and have a relationship
than adopting two singles and hope they get along. Its better for the cats-
and its better for you. You'll also be preventing two life-long companions
from being split up- as most shelters do.

If you can't find a pair in the Topkins County SPCA, I have four wonderful
pairs up for adoption. Too bad you live so far away.

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/JillJoJo-web.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/milo+moli_feature.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/NicholasDustin.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BennyParis-web.jpg