Bubba vs The Harness

Old July 30th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Bubba vs The Harness

Hi

Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
without me having to chase him around the rest stop.

I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
and put it on him around the house to give him
a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
too happy with the imposition in spite of
additional treats.

If looks could kill...

I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
of time before I try to use the leash too.

Any helpful hints or suggestions?
Old July 30th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
Hi

Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
without me having to chase him around the rest stop.

I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
and put it on him around the house to give him
a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
too happy with the imposition in spite of
additional treats.

If looks could kill...

I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
of time before I try to use the leash too.

Any helpful hints or suggestions?

Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be careful
not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle out of them and
you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway if he gets spooked by
something!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 30th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote
Nope, I think what you're doing is fine.

That's what I thought. And keep the treats coming.

Old July 30th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks.

I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
and tighten it up if it needs it later...
Old July 30th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
cybercat wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote
Nope, I think what you're doing is fine.

That's what I thought. And keep the treats coming.

Yeah, no such thing as "too many" treats for Bubba.

I gave him some of my pastrami lunch. He *loves* pastrami.

He's been wearing it for an hour or so and finally
quit crying and trying to back out of it...
Old July 30th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"
Old July 30th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That sounds like a good plan to me! Sorry to be the worry-wort (I get it
from my mother)! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 30th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

(Claude V. Lucas) wrote in
:

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Yes, do make it snug when he's used to it. Some of mine used to back-up
out of their harness when something scared them.

Bobble
Old July 30th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
bobblespin wrote:
(Claude V. Lucas) wrote in
:

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

He's already tried the "back-up" trick, but without it hooked
to anything he's just been backing up in circles.

Kinda funny in a sad way.

I wish I had a video camera...
Old July 30th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Rene S. wrote:
Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"

Outside will be the *real* ordeal.

Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats.

I'm serious.

The last time I took him outside he started howling
like I was sticking pins in him or something.

That was *carrying* him without even putting him down on the ground.