Any DVD to understand cat sounds, postures and behavior?

Old August 4th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AKT

Default Any DVD to understand cat sounds, postures and behavior?

Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.
Old August 4th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"AKT" wrote in message
Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

No, I don't. But those of us who have had cats for a while might have some
ideas.

The one I love the best is the "left front leg stretch, right front leg
stretch, simultaneous yawn with ear flattening and chirpy vocal" welcome.

Old August 4th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
MaryL

"AKT" wrote in message
Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen Bailey.
It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed some good
reviews.

MaryL

Old August 4th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

. ..

"AKT" wrote in message
Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed
some good reviews.

This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

Old August 4th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AKT

cybercat wrote:
: I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
: Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
: Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed
: some good reviews.
:
: This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.
Old August 4th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"AKT" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
: I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
: Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
: Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I
noticed
: some good reviews.
:
: This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.

A lot of it is common sense and will emerge as you get to know your cat.
When they run by you and say, "mrrrp!" they are greeting you in a playful
way, for example. When you pick them up or put your face in theirs and they
make a whiny little "eeeee" with their mouths closed, you are getting on
their nerves. The wide-eyed, open faced, inquisitive "me OW?" Gracie gives
me when she approaches on the bed (usually made when she jumps up and
repeated when she stands on the top of my pillows and stares down at me)
means "You up? Can I come get some petting?" Because she then plops by my
side and snuggles and stretches and if I get sleepy and stop petting her she
nuzzles my hand.

And the nose-up sniffing she does as she sits on the pillow next to mine,
after I say good morning means, "ahhhhh, there is nothing like the morning
breath of the human I love, except maybe a nice cat butt."

Have fun and keep us posted.

Old August 4th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"AKT" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
[...]

But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
the area *immediately*! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote

But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
the area *immediately*! ;

Yep. The hard-swishing tail, too.

Old August 4th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William E. Graham

"CatNipped" wrote in message

But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
the area *immediately*! ;

Too late! - I got scratched......

Old August 4th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Phil P.

"AKT" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
: I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
: Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
: Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I

noticed
: some good reviews.
:
: This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.

A good feline behavior text has illustrations as well as photographs to
clarify the text.

Understanding Cat Behavior by Roger Tabor
Although not really a behavior text is still a good warm-up- a "Feline
Behavior 101". About $15.00

Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians by Bonnie Beaver

is much more detailed and thorough and has a lot more illustrations, and
photographs of *all* aspects of feline behavior. About $50.00- but well
worth it. I have it and I highly recommend it.

The "bible" of feline behavior is probably "The Domestic Cat: The Biology of
its Behavior" by Turner and Bateson- the *first* edition (1988). The second
edition (2000) isn't as thorough or detailed, or illustrated. I have both-
the second edition is more of a continuation of the first ed. The second
edition has a lot more information on animal welfare issues (almost half the
book)- which is great if you're involved in animal welfare like I am. But if
you want to learn *all* about *all* aspects of feline behavior- the first
edition is the book you want. It'll probably be hard to find, but its
definitely worth the effort.

There are many books on feline behavior- just stay away from books written
by "writers" who just sell books.

Phil