sprained paw

Old August 13th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default sprained paw

My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Thx!
Old August 13th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

On Aug 13, 12:40*pm, wrote:
My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Thx!

One suggestion seems to have been overlooked: Find a new vet!

Debby
Old August 13th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Take your cat to the vet when you want to know what is wrong with her paw.
You CAN get her in any time you want, you just won't.

Old August 13th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Aug 13, 3:51*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote in message

My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Take your cat to the vet when you want to know what is wrong with her paw..
You CAN get her in any time you want, you just won't.

sigh

Forget that I asked. Obviously, some are just too smart for their own
good.

And NO, I can't get her to the vet. They don't consider a sprained paw
to be an emergency. She is eating and is now going to the litter. I'm
an hour away from the nearest vet in the middle of summer (with part
of the staff is on vacation) in a part of the world where labour
shortages are hampering every facet of the economy including
veterinarians. What do you expect me to do? Tell the receptionist that
she can get me in anytime I want??? Sheesh.

I'll go find a forum where people give out helpful advice instead of
baseless and childish accusations.

unsubscribe
Old August 13th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

And NO, I can't get her to the vet. They don't consider a sprained paw
to be an emergency. She is eating and is now going to the litter. I'm

So, the receptionist has diagnosed it as a sprained paw over the phone? Wow.
It could be something else and waiting a week to find out is a bad idea.
They don't consider a cat that's been hurt and is not going to the bathroom
at all a big deal?

an hour away from the nearest vet in the middle of summer (with part
of the staff is on vacation) in a part of the world where labour
shortages are hampering every facet of the economy including
veterinarians. What do you expect me to do? Tell the receptionist that

So it's an hour drive and there's less vets there than usual. So what's the
problem? Get in the car, drive for an hour and see one of those vets.
That's what I would do.

Riannon

Old August 14th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message

[...]

One problem is that you called it a "sprained paw." You don't know that.
Instead, you should be describing a cat that is limping and needs to be seen
*now.* Tell the receptionist you are willing to sit in the waiting room and
wait for a short break between other patients, but you are very concerned
about your cat.

My cat, Holly, suddenly started to limp some time ago. I coudn't see
anything. It turned out that she had an abscess! She is black and her pads
are black. She had a tiny little cut that even the vet had difficulty
finding. When he probed, pus came shooting out. If I had delayed, I would
have risked serious infection.

MaryL

Old August 14th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Aug 13, 12:40 pm, wrote:
My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Thx!

Why do you think its the paw? It could be a pulled ligament. But
she's not going to die from it before you get her to the vet next
week. You sound like a very caring person. Probably your could give
her treatment for hairball if she is having problems in the litter
box. She might have hairball anyhow. Get her some hairball food if
you can and brush her coat well. Royal Canin dry and Science canned.