Best Claw Cutter? & Q on Scatching

Old September 11th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

Default Best Claw Cutter? & Q on Scatching

my guys have 2 posts in small 2 bdrm place, one is very tall...I'm 5
ft and it's a little taller than me, the other neads to be replaced
it's too short though use and they use a turbo scratcher...it's circle
thing...has ball they chase around in the middle there's corrugated
crap rub a little cat nip and they go nuts tearing at it

the claw cutter at Wal mart is useless, get maybe one or 2 usess out
of it, anyone know better brands? These grow back so quick....the
only funiture the shred is the couch, can't afforf a new one have
looking into getting a 2nd hand one don't want to it shredded...Is
there anyway I can stop, there are 3 or 4 yrs old now

a friend suggested citronllena (spelling) I know it keeps bugs away
she say to spray the couch with it they'll leave it alone?? I'd love
to a log and nail down four sides..I'd worry about all the bugs it'd
bring, it's the hard what that really helps keep the nails down
Old September 11th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
ensoul wrote:
my guys have 2 posts in small 2 bdrm place, one is very tall...I'm 5
ft and it's a little taller than me, the other neads to be replaced
it's too short though use and they use a turbo scratcher...it's circle
thing...has ball they chase around in the middle there's corrugated
crap rub a little cat nip and they go nuts tearing at it

the claw cutter at Wal mart is useless, get maybe one or 2 usess out
of it, anyone know better brands? These grow back so quick....the
only funiture the shred is the couch, can't afforf a new one have
looking into getting a 2nd hand one don't want to it shredded...Is
there anyway I can stop, there are 3 or 4 yrs old now

I use the same clipper I use on my own toenails on Bubba...

Costs a couple of bucks.

You just have to pay attention and not cut into the quick.

Old September 11th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"ensoul" wrote in message
[...]

This answer may sense to you, or it may not.
Cut cat claws with human toenail clippers. Sideways, so as not to crush and
shred them.
Living with cats requires a certain amount of tolerance with regards to
woodwork, furniture, carpets, and draperies.
Cats regard everything in the house as "theirs". You cannot change this.
They do not care how much you spent on the sofa, or if it belonged to your
Great-Aunt Tillie, or if you cannot afford to replace it.
If your furniture is more important to you than your cats, you need to
rehome the cats.
Cats scratch things. They do this for exercise, claw sharpening, and to mark
their territory by visual and scent cues. You cannot change this.
Some cats like wood, some like carpet, some like cardboard. Some cats like
to scratch other things. Cats are funny that way. You cannot change this.
Even if you provide items for your cat to scratch, he/she might still prefer
something else, and it might not be to your liking. You need to learn to
live with that.
If your cats are miserable and acting out, it's your fault. You CAN change
this.

Old September 11th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I like using the clippers that look like scissors. Easy to use and
they last. Here's an example: http://www.petguys.com/-045663004550.html
Clip the nails every 2-4 weeks, depending on how quickly they grow.

I would not use citronella on your couch. Try using double sided tape
(or Sticky Paws, similar to double-sided tape) on the couch to keep
them away. Make sure you have other alternatives for them to
scratching. The turbo scratcher isn't' generally big enough for them
to stretch out and sharpen. Try something like the Alpine scratcher
(http://www.petguys.com/-079593113000.html) or the double-wide
(http://www.petguys.com/-079593112000.html).

FWIW, I've ordered from Pet Guys several times and have had good
service.

Rene
Old September 13th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Sep 11, 10:14*am, "Rene S." wrote:
I like using the clippers that look like scissors. Easy to use and
they last. Here's an example:http://www.petguys.com/-045663004550.html
Clip the nails every 2-4 weeks, depending on how quickly they grow.

I would not use citronella on your couch. Try using double sided tape
(or Sticky Paws, similar to double-sided tape) on the couch to keep
them away. Make sure you have other alternatives for them to
scratching. The turbo scratcher isn't' generally big enough for them
to stretch out and sharpen. Try something like the Alpine scratcher
(http://www.petguys.com/-079593113000.html) * or the double-wide
(http://www.petguys.com/-079593112000.html).

FWIW, I've ordered from Pet Guys several times and have had good
service.

Rene

Thank you Rene, many great suggests prices are decent too...i was
wondering about using citronella myself
lynn