Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

Old September 30th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

I've noticed that our cats are grazing on dog food between feedings
-- anyone have a tip or two on how to curb this behavior?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 30th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Sep 30, 3:26*am, "-Lost" wrote:
Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

I've noticed that our cats are grazing on dog food between feedings
-- anyone have a tip or two on how to curb this behavior?

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. *Don't e-mail me. *I am
kidding. *No I am not.

I would either:
1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
period of time (15-30 minutes)
or
2. Put the dog's food somewhere the cats don't/can't go.
Old October 1st 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Rene S." :

snip

I would either:
1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
period of time (15-30 minutes)

I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times --
not excessively.

or
2. Put the dog's food somewhere the cats don't/can't go.

On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

We have to figure something out our largest cat is packing weight
back on after a successful stint at dieting because he refuses to
keep his sniffer out of the dog bowl.

Thank you for your input.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 1st 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Rene S." :

snip

I would either:
1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
period of time (15-30 minutes)

I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times --
not excessively.

They don't need to do that. If the dogs don't eat their all of their food
when it's given, take it away. They will soon learn to eat it all. If they
don't , you are overfeeding them.
This will also help regulate their elimination schedule.

Old October 1st 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On a serious note, does such a place exist? *And if so, how would
the dogs get there? *I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
for instance.
Old October 2nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Rene S." :

On a serious note, does such a place exist? *And if so, how
would the dogs get there? *I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach
the food the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like
the porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times
of the day, for instance.

I think I like that idea. Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 2nd 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote in message

On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
for instance.

WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out difficult
problems like this!

Old October 2nd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):
"Rene S." wrote in message

On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
for instance.

unnecessary_sarcasm

WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out difficult
problems like this!

/unnecessary_sarcasm

there, I fixed that for you.

Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a
really obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it
out? No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.

yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight

jmc
Old October 2nd 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote in message

On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
for instance.

unnecessary_sarcasm

WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out
difficult problems like this!

/unnecessary_sarcasm

there, I fixed that for you.

Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a really
obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it out?
No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.

yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight

I sent a reply to you via email, since you sent *this* to my email address.
Since your address is munged, it bounced. So here is my reply:

I just cannot stand "Lost." There is something just not at all genuine about
this attention-seeking ass. You know me ... we've both been around a while.
I generally do not suffer in silence.

Thanks for writing.

Old October 3rd 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/2/2008 12:23 AM):
"Rene S." wrote in message

[...]

Didn't get your email, and sending it to your email musta been a glitch,
cause I didn't do it on purpose - sorry.

I noticed the "not suffer in silence" thingy. I do. Suffer in silence,
usually. Flamewars, to me, are pointless. Entertaining sometimes, if
I'm not involved

jmc