My new kitten hates me

Old October 1st 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

Default My new kitten hates me

About 10 days ago a skinny little tabby kitten came running up to me like he
knew me his whole life (8 months or so). He wanted to be friends so I took
him in and he took to my place very quickly. My other 3 cats were pretty
cool with it though my 2 year old female cat put him in his place often. He
seemed to take it as well as could be expected.

So last Saturday my big adult male cat Jack got all worked up seeing a stray
cat in the yard. He huffed and puffed trying to push through the window
glass then assaulted the youngster and beat him up pretty badly. Tonight I
called the vet because he was not coming around. He is depressed. He
doesn't want to socialize or play - not even the squeaky mouse toy which he
could hardly put down before this happened. They found a small abscess and
drained it and treated him for ear mites. Also took blood for his tests.
But now his personality is completely gone and has been for 3 days now.

Well things have gone from bad to worse. He wants nothing to do with me and
tosses a fit when I try to pet him. He growls and hisses fiercely at me
when I pick him up. He truly hates me. He is seeing me as a threat and an
enemy. He took the vet visit fairly well, though. They had no trouble
handling him and he was quiet the whole time. But now here at home, he
wants nothing to do with me at all. I just gave him his Amoxy drops and he
tolerated it but the howling and hissing was breaking my heart.

I suppose he must be a sensitive little guy. He is not as resilient as most
other cats I have known and kept. Is there hope for a reconciliation? Do
these things become permanent and they hate you for life? He just is so
depressed and miserable and now so am I. For now he has a comfy room all to
himself with food and a litterbox and soft places to sleep. I've just never
known them to be this way for this long, a few hours sure, but not 3 days.
Granted we have not bonded and he's only been with me for less than 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Old October 1st 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Paul M. Cook" wrote

For now he has a comfy room all to himself with food and a litterbox and
soft places to sleep. I've just never known them to be this way for this
long, a few hours sure, but not 3 days. Granted we have not bonded and he's
only been with me for less than 2 weeks.

I imagine this hurts, but give it some time. The baby will settle down.

Old October 1st 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

First of all, kudos to you for taking in this baby. Think of all he's
been through in his short life--probably a lot. He's just had a
traumatic experience and needs time to recover. Give him lots of love
and attention and he will come around. If he doesn't like you to touch
him, talk to him softly and play with him. Get a couple of Feliway
diffusers and plug one in his room and the other where Jack is to ease
the tension. You can also play talk radio softly in the room while
you're away.

Keep reaching out. He'll come around.
Old October 1st 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

That's so sad! I've had cats where if they spotted another cat out the
window or any place they'd go berserk and end up attacking each other. It
could be days before they would come around and be themselves. I couldn't
go near them when they were in these moods. They do come around after a
while.

Barb

Old October 1st 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
About 10 days ago a skinny little tabby kitten came running up to me like

he
knew me his whole life (8 months or so). He wanted to be friends so I

took
him in and he took to my place very quickly. My other 3 cats were pretty
cool with it though my 2 year old female cat put him in his place often.

He
seemed to take it as well as could be expected.

So last Saturday my big adult male cat Jack got all worked up seeing a

stray
cat in the yard. He huffed and puffed trying to push through the window
glass then assaulted the youngster and beat him up pretty badly.

That's called redirected aggression. It happens when a cat gets worked up
from seeing another cat that he can't get at- so he attacks a cat or even
human that is close to him.

Tonight I
called the vet because he was not coming around. He is depressed. He
doesn't want to socialize or play - not even the squeaky mouse toy which

he
could hardly put down before this happened.

That's not unusual after an attack- especially if the attack was traumatic
for the victim. There's also a possibility the victim will develop a fear of
the attacker and become defensively aggressive towards him whenever he sees
him. So, be on the lookout for future fights and try to head them off before
they start. If you see a fight brewing, don't try to touch either cat.
Instead, try to break their concentration with a loud noise. If you
absolutely must separate them, use blanket or towel. In this state of
arousal, either cat can inflict serious injuries to each other and you.
Remember, if one of them bites you and the wound requires medical attention,
the doctor or hospital is required by law report the incident to the health
department. If you don't don't have current rabies certificates, the cat
could (probably) be quarantined- usually in the municipal or county shelter
for 10 days. Whenever I get bit, I always say the cat was a stray I never
saw before or after.

[...]

Give him some time. Don't force yourself on him or try to pet or hold him
for awhile. When you go into feed him, just hang out with him for awhile.
Sit or lie down on the floor and read a book or take a nap or something.
Just don't make any moves towards him. Don't stare at him or make direct
eye contact for more a second or two. When you look at him, take long blinks
and turn your head away. Give him a lot of treats. He'll come around when
he ready.

How's the situation between him and the attacker?

Phil

Old October 2nd 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I suppose he must be a sensitive little guy. He is not as resilient as
most other cats I have known and kept. Is there hope for a
reconciliation? Do these things become permanent and they hate you for
life? He just is so depressed and miserable and now so am I.

He detects your misery. Animals don't think in terms of permanent. They
live in the now. They also pick up on your emotions. Just give him his
space and do things to get him interested in you. Like sitting on the floor
and ignoring him. Or toss a few toys sort of nonchalantly. He'll come
around.

Old October 2nd 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Jack is a really good cat, but he does have this thing about redirected
aggression. He is cool with the little guy and gives him no other trouble.
Salvador, the kitten, is pretty scared of him. He recognizes his aggressor.

We're doing better tonight. He is slowly coming around. His personality is
showing signs of coming back. He's not his exuberant and joyful self yet,
but this is good progress. I guess I have a sensitive kitty on my hands.
I'll just have to be very careful to supervise them for the time being. For
now, Sal goes in the bedroom when I have to go out. He doesn't seem to
mind, in fact I think he likes the feeling of safety. I'm thinking that
abscess must have hurt a lot so now that it's on the mend perhaps his
spirits will improve and surely getting rid of those ear mites is bound to
be helping. At least he's easy to get the medicine into.

He's being more social tonight. No play but he's here with me watching TV
and keeping a cautious eye on the others.

Paul

Phil

Old October 2nd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Paul M. Cook" wrote
He's being more social tonight. No play but he's here with me watching TV
and keeping a cautious eye on the others.

Yay, Salvadore!

Old October 2nd 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

We're doing better tonight. *He is slowly coming around. *His personality is
showing signs of coming back. *He's not his exuberant and joyful self yet,
but this is good progress. *I guess I have a sensitive kitty on my hands.
I'll just have to be very careful to supervise them for the time being. *For
now, Sal goes in the bedroom when I have to go out. *He doesn't seem to
mind, in fact I think he likes the feeling of safety. *I'm thinking that
abscess must have hurt a lot so now that it's on the mend perhaps his
spirits will improve and surely getting rid of those ear mites is bound to
be helping. *At least he's easy to get the medicine into.

Hooray!

I think it's a good idea to keep them separated when you're away. Take
it slow with re-introducing to the other cats, and don't force
anything.
Old October 3rd 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Glad he's coming around!

Barb

God Hates Me : CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 31 April 8th 08 10:11 PM
RECALL: Lick your chops kitten/cat dry, Evolve kitten and more coming buglady Cat health & behaviour 0 May 18th 07 01:19 PM
Old cat still hates new kitten (4 months on) Lobster Cat health & behaviour 3 May 4th 07 12:01 AM
my cat hates you Lynne Cat health & behaviour 3 February 22nd 07 03:18 AM
Surprisingly Aggressive Behavior by Older Kitten Towards New Kitten Jonny R Cat health & behaviour 27 June 25th 04 02:39 PM