Need advice moving old cat cross country

Old October 5th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennifer Thompson-Fleet

Default Need advice moving old cat cross country

Hello all,

Long time lurker here. I have posted a few times over the years, about
my two cats, Bonnie and Sylvester. I lost Bonnie to acute renal failure
last year. She was 18. Sylvester is still around, he turned 18 last
month. He is a miracle cat. He was diagnosed with hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy about 12 years ago and was given 1-3 years to live. Hah!

Then, about 7 years ago, he was diagnosed with diabetes and was on
insulin twice a day. As of last January, he no longer needs insulin.

He also has (or had) inflammatory bowel disease. He had to eat the same
dry food all his life (Hill's Sensitive Stomach was the only food he
could keep down)...until recently. I decided to try him on some canned
food to cut down on carbs - he's never been able to tolerate any canned
food without very messy consequences - and he did just fine. So, I've
been expanding his diet and so far so good.

So go figure. The cat is ancient, and decides to get healthy on me.

Anyway, in about two months, I am moving back to California (we're in
Florida now). We moved here from CA two years ago, and we flew both
cats on the plane with us. We gave them just a teensy bit of
Acepromazine, and they were in la-la land for most of the 5-hour flight,
they woke up about an hour before landing.

Well, this time, there are no direct flights, meaning the ordeal will be
much longer with a layover, and Sylvester is two years older now. I am
very worried about moving him at his age, and because of his heart
condition.

It's been suggested that driving him might be better - I will be driving
my dog cross country because I don't want her to be in the cargo hold of
the plane. She is old too - 14 years. So I could drive them together.

Seems like driving Sylvester (about a 4-day trip) would be more
stressful than getting him there by plane in one day. Cats don't like
cars the same way dogs do.

If I do fly him...should I sedate him again? I've since read that
sedating them can be more dangerous than not. Plus, he's got the heart
issue. He'll wail and cry if I don't sedate him though. The last hour
of the flight here two years ago, he started to wake up and boy, he made
himself heard. I don't know if we can deal with two long flights like
that. We might get booted off the plane!

I know moving him so far at his age is a risk...I guess I'm asking which
is the kindest, safest way to do it? Plane or car? Drugs or no drugs?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jennifer and Sylvester
Old October 5th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jennifer Thompson-Fleet" wrote
It's been suggested that driving him might be better - I will be driving
my dog cross country because I don't want her to be in the cargo hold of
the plane. She is old too - 14 years. So I could drive them together.

Will your cat have to be in the cargo hold?

Old October 5th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennifer Thompson-Fleet

cybercat wrote:
"Jennifer Thompson-Fleet" wrote

It's been suggested that driving him might be better - I will be driving
my dog cross country because I don't want her to be in the cargo hold of
the plane. She is old too - 14 years. So I could drive them together.

Will your cat have to be in the cargo hold?

NO WAY! I should have clarified. He would be in a carrier under the
seat in front of me. That's how we brought him and Bonnie (RIP) out
here two years ago. I wouldn't put any animal in a cargo hold, or let
them be tossed around by baggage-handlers. I know most animals are just
fine being flown that way, but I just can't do it.

The bummer is that Sylvester is a big cat. He really needs a large-size
Sherpa carrier, but the biggest the airlines will allow in the cabin are
the medium. He can fit in a medium, but he cannot stand up. He has to
stay hunkered down. I kept unzipping the top to let him move around a
little when no-one was looking when we brought them out here. But it
will be a longer flight(s)this time - an all-day affair, and he will
have to remain in that small carrier (I'll unzip the top when possible).

Jennifer
Old October 5th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jennifer Thompson-Fleet" wrote

NO WAY! I should have clarified. He would be in a carrier under the seat
in front of me. That's how we brought him and Bonnie (RIP) out here two
years ago. I wouldn't put any animal in a cargo hold, or let them be
tossed around by baggage-handlers. I know most animals are just fine
being flown that way, but I just can't do it.

Good for you!

The bummer is that Sylvester is a big cat. He really needs a large-size
Sherpa carrier, but the biggest the airlines will allow in the cabin are
the medium. He can fit in a medium, but he cannot stand up. He has to
stay hunkered down. I kept unzipping the top to let him move around a
little when no-one was looking when we brought them out here. But it
will be a longer flight(s)this time - an all-day affair, and he will have
to remain in that small carrier (I'll unzip the top when possible).

Here's a question for you--when you drive your dog, will there be another
human with you? My instincts are against flying for some reason, even though
I drove a very vocal cat from Houston, Texas to Raleigh NC once, and you are
right about them not liking cars. If there is another person with you, they
might be able to calm and comfort, maybe hold your cat, I was thinking. I
would ask my vet given the age of your cat. If there is a safe drug, knocked
out and on the plane, not in cargo, must be the best alternative.

Old October 5th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennifer Thompson-Fleet

cybercat wrote:

[...]

My mom will be making the drive with me. I do plan on asking the vet
what he thinks, given all the issues - age, health, etc. I still think
that dragging out the trip for four days might be more stressful, even
if he can ride in a lap. He'll still wonder what the heck is going on.
Plus, how do you travel over several days with a cat? Have a litter
box in the car, or what? Then he'd have to adapt to a new motel room
every night, etc. Seems like it would take quite a toll on the old guy.

I'll see what the vet says about safe drugs to use if I fly him.
Old October 5th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:35:56 -0400, Jennifer Thompson-Fleet wrote:
[...]

drive and don't sedate. When you stop for gas, make it a longer stop and
park and let the kitties move about.

I have no problem driving with kitty on my lap on long trips and don't give a FF
what any of the newsgroup-nannies have to say about it. I've been doing it for
25 years and don't have such mediocre driving skills that it is the slightest
problem. If kitty goes anywhere near my feet I hiss and kitty retreats.

Of course, some kitties are the kind that will freak out. That kind of cat
would have to stay in a carrier.
Old October 5th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

I have traveled all over the place with the cat in the car. I would stop
every 4 or 5 hours give him some food and let them out to use the litter box
in the car. Keep the windows up and the AC running if it's hot.

One time I was traveling and the AC quit, and then there was an accident and
no way around it till it was cleared. I back tracked went to a gas station
bought 2 bags of ice. Dumped the food from the cooler out put the ice in
the cooler covered it with a towel and Meowzer rode the rest of the way home
sleeping on top of the ice in the ice chest. It was just way to hot not to
do something to keep him cooled off.

Celeste

"Jennifer Thompson-Fleet" wrote in message
g.com...

Old October 5th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jennifer Thompson-Fleet" wrote

My mom will be making the drive with me. I do plan on asking the vet what
he thinks, given all the issues - age, health, etc. I still think that
dragging out the trip for four days might be more stressful, even if he
can ride in a lap. He'll still wonder what the heck is going on. Plus,
how do you travel over several days with a cat? Have a litter box in the
car, or what? Then he'd have to adapt to a new motel room every night,
etc. Seems like it would take quite a toll on the old guy.

It will. My cat was not old, and she was really a mess. She would not eat or
eliminate the entire three days we were on the road. (I broke it up, stayed
two nights in a hotel.) Strangely, as soon as she got to the hotel, she was
fine. It's the noise of the car she hated.

I'll see what the vet says about safe drugs to use if I fly him.

I think flying with kitty sedated is the best choice. Driving will be hard
on you, too. Just worrying, dealing with the sounds and other signs of
distress your cat is making. Others who say they "always take the cat in the
car on long trips" are not thinking about an 18-year-old cat who has never
been on a long car trip. Cats can die from stress, just like the rest of us.
I'd keep it short and simple, on the plane, with something to make kitty
sleepy if possible so he will not want to stand up, since he will be in a
small carrier. Easier on you, easier on the cat, if your vet agrees. Do let
us know what he says.

Old October 5th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennifer Thompson-Fleet

cybercat wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cybercat. My line of thinking is the same. I came on here
asking because everybody I've told about my plans, says I should drive
him. They've all said, "He'll be with YOU....so he'll be okay". I
don't think my presence in the car will help all that much when you add
up all the other stress factors...4 days, in the car (which he hates),
with the dog, strange motel rooms each night, etc. He has a bad
heart...I don't know if it could handle four days of stress.

Will report back after I talk to the vet.

Jennifer

Old October 6th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Jennifer Thompson-Fleet exclaimed (10/5/2008
11:35 AM):
[...]

I'd drive. From your other posts, and his age, I think it'd be highly
uncomfortable or painful for him to be crammed in a little Sherpa for
all that time. At least if you're driving, he can be more comfortable
in a bigger crate.

Just make sure you pick pet-friendly hotels. Personally, since Meep is
such a low-impact cat, I ignore the rules about keeping in her cage, if
the place has 'em. I think it's important after a day in the car that
she can move around.

Your local bookstore will have books that list pet-friendly hotels,
their rules, and any additional deposit.

Ask your doctor about clomicalm or amytryptyline (sp) for the trip.
It's not so much sedating as mellowing. Well, clomi didn't work for my
cat - sedated her so much she didn't move for two days, poor thing, but
amy worked great for her during our stressful move - we flew halfway
around the world, then drove cross country, and then moved into a
strange house - and she's been fine. Of course, she has done this
before, but Meep's 12 now so no spring chicken either.

Good luck!

jmc