Rapid breathing

Old October 8th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JohnR66

Default Rapid breathing

Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.
John

Old October 8th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 wrote:
Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.

what does your vet say?

Old October 8th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JohnR66

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 wrote:
Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is
when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.

what does your vet say?

When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.

Old October 8th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"JohnR66" wrote in message
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 wrote:
Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many
cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal
activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is
when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.

what does your vet say?

When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.

Right. Well, it's a sign of heart and/or lung disease. Might be time for a
new "vet."

Old October 9th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JohnR66

"cybercat" wrote in message

"JohnR66" wrote in message
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 wrote:
Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many
cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal
activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is
when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.

what does your vet say?

When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.

Right. Well, it's a sign of heart and/or lung disease. Might be time for a
new "vet."

It was my Simon. I guess I'm still trying to come to terms with his sudden
sickness and death. I probably did mention this to the vet at some point
early in his life. I guess it was an underlying condition that finally
claimed him 11 years into his life. I wish I had listened to his heart more
and may have caught the arythmia early on.

When I got him, he was 5 months old. He did have swollen eyelids and was
picked over but I loved his markings and he had a nice personality. I took
care of his eyelids with antibiotics. From that point on, he had a healthy
life. My vet was supposed to be good. I guess it's all hindsight now.