Ear mites

Old November 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

Default Ear mites

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can suggest a really good type of ear mite
preparation that will take care of a nasty infestation? We have a new
member of family called, Sapphie. Sapphie is a birman x domestic short
haired cat. We got her in june of this year, & when she arrived, I
treated her for this dose with revolution, the spot on treatment that
say's it takes care of ear mites. Unfortunately, it did nothing at
all! the following month, we tried Advocate instead to see if that
made a difference- but, unfortunately, it didn't. ( I should point out
that in the meantime, I took her to the vets & he prescribed Zymox
otic with hydrocortisone 1%, for Sapphie.)

I believe Zymox is for the treatment of acute and chronic otitis
external due to bacterial, viral and yeast infections, or so he tell's
me? We initially got it for Sapphie, but it didn't take too long to
realise that most of the cats started head nodding. In view of that,
we had a second trip to the vet to see if the others had got them as
well...& they have!!

Some of you will remember that we have quite a large feline family.
Yet, prior to this case of ear mites, we have never had a problem that
is as severe as this case seems to be. It's utterly stubborn. We treat
each cat on a daily basis, & we use cleanaural every other day to help
remove any debris & mites that we can reach, using olive oil & cotton
wool. It's clear that we must be doing something wrong, otherwise I
would be on top of this case.I'm anxious to get shot of them ASAP..

Can anyone suggest either a possible misdiagnosis, or,another product
that will take care of this terrible infestation? I can't watch them
nodding their little head's for any longer than we have to.
The poor little (Huge in some cases!)things.... It truly seems to be
driving them nuts!
TIA
Sheelagh"o"
Old November 8th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Nov 7, 10:54*am, "Sheelagh\"o\"" wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest either a possible misdiagnosis, or,another product
that will take care of this terrible infestation? I can't watch them
nodding their little head's for any longer than we have to.
The poor little (Huge in some cases!)things.... It truly seems to be
driving them nuts!
TIA
Sheelagh"o"

How about ivermectin? That's what my newest kitten, Google, was
treated with when we first got him. He also got his vaccines that day
and he did get sick--vomiting and diarrhea for a day and a half--the
vet said it was more likely the ivermectin than the vaccines. In fact,
he got his vax boosters a few weeks later and didn't get sick at all
so maybe it really was the ivermectin.

At any rate, I don't think he has ear mites anymore and I don't think
my other 2 indoor cats got them from him as we treated him before
bringing him in. But...and you can find the thread here, "Google's
Ruptured Eardrum," he did wind up with a ruptured eardrum, which he is
now being treated for, and I don't know if that had something to do
with his ear exams or just because he's always slamming into things
and knocking things over being a wild little kitten.

So...I think the ivermectin worked. 2 different vets have looked in
his ear since the first vet diagnosed him and haven't seen any. I
know they can be hard to get rid of, tho, so I'm not 100 percent
confident they're gone. He does scratch his ear sometimes but he also
does have the ear infection.

Candace
Old November 9th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

We use Acarexx when the Revolution doesn't seem to take care of it. We've
also noticed that the Revolution (or Advantage Multi) doesn't do squat for
the ear mites if the debris hasn't been cleaned out of the ears before the
Revolution is applied. I have had a few fosters who continued to produce a
lot of wax for a while after the ear mites are gone. I've just continued to
clean out the ears periodically using a commercially available ear cleaning
solution and in all cases eventually the excessive wax production stops and
the ears remain clear.

Ear Mites TMask Cat health & behaviour 2 November 23rd 05 04:06 PM
ear mites Kaylea Cat health & behaviour 4 July 9th 05 08:45 AM
Ear Mites Chrissy Cat health & behaviour 16 September 8th 04 12:32 PM
Ear Mites? Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 8 June 30th 04 09:31 PM
Mites or what? Laurie Cat health & behaviour 6 June 11th 04 11:06 PM