Recommendations for flea medicine

Old November 18th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

Default Recommendations for flea medicine

My cat likes to go outside sometimes. I worry about fleas and ticks,
of course, and I need some recommendations on ways to avoid this.

My Vet wants me to buy the prescription stuff, but a few friends say
the over-the-counter Advantage is just as good. I'd prefer getting
the over-the-counter stuff, so I don't have to order ahead at my vets,
or drive pretty far out of my way to pick it up.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Dom
Old November 19th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:42:12 -0800 (PST), Dom
wrote:

My cat likes to go outside sometimes. I worry about fleas and ticks,
of course, and I need some recommendations on ways to avoid this.

My Vet wants me to buy the prescription stuff, but a few friends say
the over-the-counter Advantage is just as good. I'd prefer getting
the over-the-counter stuff, so I don't have to order ahead at my vets,
or drive pretty far out of my way to pick it up.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Dom

Revolution kills more bad things than Advantage. It gets many worms
too.
Old November 19th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Nov 18, 2:42*pm, Dom wrote:
My cat likes to go outside sometimes. *I worry about fleas and ticks,
of course, and I need some recommendations on ways to avoid this.

My Vet wants me to buy the prescription stuff, but a few friends say
the over-the-counter Advantage is just as good. *I'd prefer getting
the over-the-counter stuff, so I don't have to order ahead at my vets,
or drive pretty far out of my way to pick it up.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Dom

As every flea & tick collar or product has strong poisons in it that
get soaked into your kitties skin, I personally would go with a
natural product that will do a wonderful job. And, you have the
benefit of NOT slowly poisoning your cat. Use Food Grade Fossil Shell
Flour on kitties body and around the yard. Not only does it kill
fleas and ticks ON your cat but it will kill them in your yard as well
if you just sprinkle it around. Its also called Diatomaceous Earth.
It has many, many benefitical uses for animals and humans. Here's
some info about it: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

I use for myself and my four kitties as a daily supplement. And no
I'm not affliated with any supplier so I have nothing to gain that
way. I just think it's a wonderful product.

DWMeowMix
Old November 19th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I would NOT buy any OTC stuff. Some of the off brands have made cats
seriously ill or even killed them. If cost is a concern, you can buy
the larger dog vials and measure out the proper ml based on your cat's
weight. (It's the same product.) I know someone on this group does
that, and maybe he/she can chime in.

I found this web site that lists the dosages (scroll down a bit):
http://www.revolution4cats.com/displ...s=FL& sec=120

You can buy the name brands (Advantage, Revolution) at some pet stores
and at places like 800 pet meds.
Old November 20th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Rene S." wrote

I would NOT buy any OTC stuff. Some of the off brands have made cats
seriously ill or even killed them. If cost is a concern, you can buy
the larger dog vials and measure out the proper ml based on your cat's
weight. (It's the same product.) I know someone on this group does
that, and maybe he/she can chime in.

Umm, I think you are mistaken that it's the same stuff. I do agree though
that the OTC stuff is bad juju.

Old November 21st 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Dom" wrote in message
My cat likes to go outside sometimes. I worry about fleas and ticks,
of course, and I need some recommendations on ways to avoid this.

My Vet wants me to buy the prescription stuff, but a few friends say
the over-the-counter Advantage is just as good. I'd prefer getting
the over-the-counter stuff, so I don't have to order ahead at my vets,
or drive pretty far out of my way to pick it up.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Dom

If you're worried about ticks, forget about Advantage- it doesn't kill
ticks- and Revolution is practically useless against fleas. I recommend
Frontline Plus. If you buy it online, make sure you're buying from an
authorized dealer. There are a lot of counterfeit pet meds on the internet.

If you don't want to drive to your vet's office, send him a check and tell
him to mail it to you.

Phil

Old November 21st 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

My cat likes to go outside sometimes. I worry about fleas and ticks,
of course, and I need some recommendations on ways to avoid this.

My Vet wants me to buy the prescription stuff, but a few friends say
the over-the-counter Advantage is just as good. I'd prefer getting
the over-the-counter stuff, so I don't have to order ahead at my vets,
or drive pretty far out of my way to pick it up.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Dom

If you're worried about ticks, forget about Advantage- it doesn't kill
ticks- and Revolution is practically useless against fleas. I recommend
Frontline Plus. If you buy it online, make sure you're buying from an
authorized dealer. There are a lot of counterfeit pet meds on the internet.

If you don't want to drive to your vet's office, send him a check and tell
him to mail it to you.

Do not know about there but here in my area of Michigan the local Pet
Smart and Pet Supplies Plus stores both sell Advantage and Frontline
Plus OTC plus my ve stocks them both and all I need do is stop in and
get either one. Of course more expensive at vets.