cat's front teeth gone

Old January 7th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M

Default cat's front teeth gone

My cat is 5 years old.
She now has no incisors, tiny teeth, between her canines on her lower
jaw.
I noticed that she only had 2 or 3 last year.
The only cause that I can think of is the hard tarter-control treats I
was giving her.

No redness, no bad breath, free feed dry and 1/4 can wet 2x day.
And I cannot get her to let me brush.

All incisors between 'fangz' are present on the upper jaw.

Is this 'normal'?
I don't think that they grow back, do they?

T.I.A.

Sylvia M

Old January 7th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Sylvia M wrote:
My cat is 5 years old.
She now has no incisors, tiny teeth, between her canines on her lower
jaw.
I noticed that she only had 2 or 3 last year.
The only cause that I can think of is the hard tarter-control treats I
was giving her.

No redness, no bad breath, free feed dry and 1/4 can wet 2x day.
And I cannot get her to let me brush.

All incisors between 'fangz' are present on the upper jaw.

Is this 'normal'?
I don't think that they grow back, do they?

T.I.A.

Sylvia M

Nothing you've described above is normal about this.

No, they don't grow back.

Get that poor cat to the vet posthaste. Who knows what kind of misery
she's been in. This ain't good.
Old January 7th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Like other posters have suggested, please take your cat to the vet.
No, teeth don't grow back, and she should not be losing so many in
such a short amount of time.

Though she seems fine to you, she could be in pain from tooth or gum
problems.
Old January 8th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M

"Rene S." wrote in message
Like other posters have suggested, please take your cat to the vet.
No, teeth don't grow back, and she should not be losing so many in
such a short amount of time.

Though she seems fine to you, she could be in pain from tooth or gum
problems.

Will do, thanks to all.

Old January 8th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sylvia M" wrote:

Will do, thanks to all.

Please let us know what it is if you can.

Old January 8th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

"Rene S." wrote in message
Like other posters have suggested, please take your cat to the vet.
No, teeth don't grow back, and she should not be losing so many in
such a short amount of time.

Though she seems fine to you, she could be in pain from tooth or gum
problems.

Will do, thanks to all.

Good. This isn't normal, and the tartar control treats would not have
anything to do with a problem like this. Please keep us updated.
Incidentally, I recommend that you change from your current feeding to all
canned food (premium quality), fed twice a day on a twelve-hour schedule or
as close to that as possible. Eliminate all dry food. However, this would
have nothing to do with the problem you described. This recommendation is
for better nutrition.

MaryL

Old January 8th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Sylvia M" wrote

Will do, thanks to all.

Sylvia, is your cat any sort of pedigree? Some of the types (Himalayans for
example) are quite prone to a combination of bad breeders passing off
unheathy genetics, and poor tooth construction to start with.

I knowingly adopted a cat like this from a reputable breeder who up front
told me Roscoe had 'failure to thrive' syndrome and should never ever be
bred. Even the best of breeders have the occasional throw back. I got him
'free to a good home' as the breeder prefered to not kill kittens but
instead settled them as 'fixed' with good homes for as long as they had.
His mom and dad were champion show kitties and several of the litter turned
out just as good. Roscoe however, was never robust and had the bad end of
the reccesives. (this was known in advance as said above).

Roscoe lost most of his teeth by age 3. On adoption, they estimated this
and said he'd probably not make 5. Vet validated it.

Roscoe lived to be 13, but due to a lot of care in his feeding (and lots of
love plus time with the vet).

Yes, do take the kitty to the vet. Tooth loss like that is not normal. You
may after the vet trip, need to adapt diet. If you need help with that, let
me know.

The basics of the diet changes will be to go to mostly wet food but this
will be based on how the back teeth are (they dont munch catfood with the
front ones).

A typical meal for Roscoe once he was largely toothless:
2 TB dry catfood (he liked the taste) mixed in with 3 TB salt free meat
broth
Then for 'dinner' he'd have about 3 TB wet augmented with some sort of
rendered fat or olive oil.

Old January 8th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"MaryL" wrote

Incidentally, I recommend that you change from your current feeding to all
canned food (premium quality), fed twice a day on a twelve-hour schedule
or as close to that as possible. Eliminate all dry food. However, this
would have nothing to do with the problem you described. This
recommendation is for better nutrition.

Mary, I see this over and over again but it's just not really true. Yes,
most should be wet, but a nibble of dry is good for them too if of a premium
quality.

The problems come with poor quality dry (ash etc) or with improper intake of
liquid.

I solved the liquids problem back in 1986 by using meat broths (salt free,
thats important!).

Meantime Cash-pup and Daisy-cat just got their nooner snack.

Cash (good ol' Johnny Cash style hound dog, mix of Beagle and Bull Mastiff)
got 1/2 cup dashi (a fish broth) and 2 fingerling sized fish.

Daisy got 3 TB dashi and one fingerling fish (deheaded and tail chopped off
in her case and added to Cash's dish).

Breakfast was eukanaba dry (dog type for dog, cat type for cat) and dinner
will be 6oz wet pedigree with 1/3 cup dry eukanaba for cash, and 3 oz wet
decent brand for Daisy.