Hobbes Rushed to Vet

Old January 14th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Hobbes Rushed to Vet

To those of you who have read my posts regarding Hobbes and his
chronic constipation...

Yesterday Hobbes looked great! He had a large bowel movement in the
morning, urinated, ate well and was back to his normal lovebug self.

This morning @ 3 am, I woke up to him vomiting bile. After cleaning
up and consoling him he did it again at 7:30 am. After that he didn't
want to be touched, didn't want to eat and cowered away. He has never
EVER done that. He always wants to be held and cuddled, and he always
wants to eat.

I rushed him into the vet. He's lost a 1/2 pound in one week!
They're doing an ultrasound today and taking fluid "around" or
"from" (forgot which) his lymph nodes. A special doctor is coming in
to do this procedure. If nothing is found, I'm going to have a barium
test done on him per my vet's request. He'd had a complete blood
panel only a month ago and only a slight elevation in white blood cell
count showed which always seemed to present that way over the years.

I'm convinced he has IBD since he responded so well to the depro
medrol shot he received the last time he was at the vet's a week ago.
I'm so worried. My last kitty died from that horrible disease.

In fact, my last kitty, Emma, came to me in a dream a few months ago.
She was a lot older in the dream and looked at me trying to tell me
something. I then heard a bush rustle and Hobbes popped out of the
bush. I'm convinced Emma came to me because it's almost Hobbes'
time.

I'm distraught. I love Hobbes so much. It's unfathomable that he
could be lost. Please say a prayer for him for me. I'd really
appreciate the good vibes.
Old January 14th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote

I'm distraught. I love Hobbes so much. It's unfathomable that he
could be lost. Please say a prayer for him for me. I'd really
appreciate the good vibes.

Prayers for Hobbes and you, too. Keep the faith.

Old January 15th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Hobbes Diagnosed! was-Hobbes Rushed to Vet

On Jan 14, 11:08*am, LauraM wrote:
[...]

Turns out my baby has a moderate-severe case of pancreatitis. He's on
an intraveneous drip right now, so he's still at the vet's. He has to
be there for at least two more days and then he can come home and be
on
oral medications. The prognosis is guarded.

Evidentally it's hard for the vet to say exactly how kitties get
pancreatitis. One school of thought is a change in food. Well, he's
been changed a couple times recently in the last year (all my doing I
might add...except for this last change to I/D). I'm never going to
change food again without the vet's consent.

I'm so glad I had the ultrasound done on him. SO GLAD.

I've lit a white candle for my cuddlebug. Thank you everyone so much
for your concern and kind words. This place is so great.

Old January 15th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Jan 14, 8:05*pm, LauraM wrote:
[...]

I'll certainly be thinking of you and the little guy. Hope he
recovers quickly and completely.

Candace
Old January 15th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote

I've lit a white candle for my cuddlebug. Thank you everyone so much
for your concern and kind words. This place is so great.

Thanks for letting us know. I hope he recovers completely and can come home
soon.

Old January 15th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Jan 14, 8:05*pm, LauraM wrote:
[...]

for your concern and kind words. This place is so great.- Hide quoted text -

Hugs to you and Hobbs

Debbie
Old January 15th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jan 14, 9:05*pm, LauraM wrote:
[...]

I've been through pancreatitis. Make sure, when he comes home, that
you get:
1. painkillers
2. bag of fluids to give sub-Q at home
3. anti-nausea medication

Insist on the painkillers and fluids! Don't leave without them! I
tried that once and my cat relapsed within two days.

Painkillers and fluids are the cornerstones of treatment, but so many
vets don't do this. Here's a great article that you should read (and
give your vet a copy): http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00114.htm

Also, get some chicken or turkey baby food for short-term feeding. Do
NOT feed Hills i/d or a/d. You need a bland, simple diet for now. You
can add Wellness (grain free ones) or Innova evo wet food too.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It's hard BUT you can get him
through this. Feel free to email me with any questions or specifics.

Rene
Old January 16th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:05:04 -0800 (PST), LauraM
wrote:

[...]

I worked in a hospital for many years.

People get pancreatitis for no apparent reason whatsoever. MD's really
don't know why some people get pancreatitis.

I REALLY doubt it has anything to do with switching Hobbes' food.

I hope Hobbes makes a very fast, complete recovery.

Hobbes Rushed to Vet Rene S. Cat health & behaviour 0 January 14th 09 08:19 PM
Hobbes Update Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 06 10:37 PM
Hobbes might have diabetes Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 16 January 4th 06 06:20 PM
Dan, Hobbes and everybody else [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 23rd 05 07:34 AM
Hobbes is spending the day with Ted Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 17 June 22nd 05 03:52 AM