Hobbes Not Eating!

Old January 21st 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Hobbes Not Eating!

I can't believe this. Hobbes is not eating now. I'm sure it's due to
the antibiotics. Yesterday the vet changed him from Clavamox to
Baytril in hopes of the change helping Hobbes to eat. He also is
being given Nutri-Cal.

This morning, however, Hobbes threw up everything he ate this
morning. Ugh! Upon someone's recommendation, and my desparation, I
gave him some chicken Gerber baby food. He seemed to like that. At
this point, I've just got to get him eating!

He also is sneezing a lot. Wet sneezes. And he shakes his head
because his ears itch. The vet didn't have much to say about that.
Everything "checked out" from a physical exam but I don't know why
Hobbes is doing this. It isn't going away.

It's sad. I want him to be happy.
Old January 22nd 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
nobody

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:48:54 -0800 (PST), LauraM
wrote:

I can't believe this. Hobbes is not eating now. I'm sure it's due to
the antibiotics. Yesterday the vet changed him from Clavamox to
Baytril in hopes of the change helping Hobbes to eat. He also is
being given Nutri-Cal.

This morning, however, Hobbes threw up everything he ate this
morning. Ugh! Upon someone's recommendation, and my desparation, I
gave him some chicken Gerber baby food. He seemed to like that. At
this point, I've just got to get him eating!

He also is sneezing a lot. Wet sneezes. And he shakes his head
because his ears itch. The vet didn't have much to say about that.
Everything "checked out" from a physical exam but I don't know why
Hobbes is doing this. It isn't going away.

It's sad. I want him to be happy.

Laura,

Purrs to you and Hobbes. Sorry Hobbes is having such a tough time of
it.
Old January 23rd 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Hi Laura,

When our cat had bouts of pancreatitus, he would not eat. When cats get
sick to their stomachs they tend to blame their food and refuse the last
food that they ate.

With Bob, we had to keep changing foods as he blamed new brands.
Finally, we got him on low-ingredient food that didn't hurt his pancreas
and we didn't have to change as much. Apparently they suspect IBD to be
related to pancreatitus, like one causes the other. Bob was too sick to
have a biopsy to see if he had IBD too. Anyway, we put him on IVD-brand
prescription food, and he was also on Waltham brand. As I remember, he
loved duck and peas.

Since your cat is also sniffly, not being able to smell their food can
make them stop eating. You might want to try the stinkiest things you
can think of for now. Bob would sometimes respond to this one wet food
that had tons of fish and sardines. When Bob had a cold (poor guy got
everything after he became diabetic...) I boiled pans of water and held
him with a blanket over both of us, over the steam. It helped loosen him
up. I've also heard to put them with you in the bathroom when you take a
shower to soak up the steam.

Good luck! We had to force-feed Bob when his cold was at its worst, so
hope you can keep Hobbes eating something.

Rhonda

Old January 23rd 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Another thought -- did they thoroughly check his teeth? Bad teeth can
have the same symptoms as a virus, especially the nose running.

Hope you find out what's wrong.

Rhonda

Old January 23rd 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

LauraM wrote:

I can't believe this. *Hobbes is not eating now. *I'm sure it's due to
the antibiotics. *Yesterday the vet changed him from Clavamox to
Baytril in hopes of the change helping Hobbes to eat. *He also is
being given Nutri-Cal.

This morning, however, Hobbes threw up everything he ate this
morning. *Ugh! *Upon someone's recommendation, and my desparation, I
gave him some chicken Gerber baby food. *He seemed to like that. *At
this point, I've just got to get him eating!

He also is sneezing a lot. *Wet sneezes. *And he shakes his head
because his ears itch. *The vet didn't have much to say about that.
Everything "checked out" from a physical exam but I don't know why
Hobbes is doing this. *It isn't going away.

It's sad. *I want him to be happy.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Rhonda. Since my last post my kitty has turned the corner for the
better. I just know he has IBD...something my vet, for some reason,
seems to not be addressing as aggressively as I'd like. I've been
talking to various people regarding this and they all agreed to get
him off Hill's diet with all their fillers like wheat gluten. He's on
Wellness now. Before that I used Gerber baby food (chicken) and he
seemed to like that.

I've got him on Lysine for his sneezing, Miralax for his constipation
(which he's been suffering from for several months), baytril
antibiotic (switched from Clovamax which was making him sick), and
weaning him off prednisone. He's also an an anti-nausea medication.
I'm also giving him fluids for awhile. Whew! What a list!

But he hasn't thrown up since I switched his food and is going in his
litterbox like a champ since I added the Miralax.

Thanks for responding. i don't know what I would've done with posting
here. People have been so kind in helping me figure out how to nurse
my kitty back to health. So far, so good!
Old January 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

LauraM wrote:

I can't believe this. *Hobbes is not eating now. *I'm sure it's due to
the antibiotics. *Yesterday the vet changed him from Clavamox to
Baytril in hopes of the change helping Hobbes to eat. *He also is
being given Nutri-Cal.

This morning, however, Hobbes threw up everything he ate this
morning. *Ugh! *Upon someone's recommendation, and my desparation, I
gave him some chicken Gerber baby food. *He seemed to like that. *At
this point, I've just got to get him eating!

He also is sneezing a lot. *Wet sneezes. *And he shakes his head
because his ears itch. *The vet didn't have much to say about that.
Everything "checked out" from a physical exam but I don't know why
Hobbes is doing this. *It isn't going away.

It's sad. *I want him to be happy.- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to say that his teeth are fine. I brush regularly and just had
them cleaned at the vet about a month ago. Thanks!!