Hobbes Doing Well

Old January 24th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Hobbes Doing Well

Just thought i'd give everyone an update on Hobbes. It's been about
ten days since his pancreatic attack. Until a couple days ago, I
thought I was going to lose him. He looked terrible. He also has
some constipation issues which he's been dealing with for awhile. I'm
sure he has IBD even though my vet seems to not be taking an
aggressive stance on that which irritates me. So I'm taking into my
own hands for Hobbes.

He's not being fed any of that Hill's crap anymore. Pardon my
language, but all those wheat gluten, etc., fillers....he'd throw up
every time he ate stuff. He was eating dry T/D all his life until
these recent health issues which made me do some research. Dry food
isn't the best for their colons.

Now he's on Wellness grain free, receiving Miralax for his stools, and
I'm giving him sub-q fluids for a little while longer along with his
anti-nausea, predisone, and antibiotics.

Since I've been feeding the Wellness, he hasn't throw up once! And
he's had perfect stools which I haven't seen in probably over a year.

I couldn't have done it without some input from various people here
and on another group. Thanks to all of you.
Old January 24th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, LauraM exclaimed (1/24/2009 11:37 AM):
[...]

Where can you get Miralax from? I'd be interested in trying this for
Meep - Benefiber keeps her regular, but her stools are very hard.

jmc
Old January 24th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote in message
Just thought i'd give everyone an update on Hobbes. It's been about
ten days since his pancreatic attack. Until a couple days ago, I
thought I was going to lose him. He looked terrible. He also has
some constipation issues which he's been dealing with for awhile. I'm
sure he has IBD even though my vet seems to not be taking an
aggressive stance on that which irritates me. So I'm taking into my
own hands for Hobbes.

Bully for you! A new vet might be the thing, too, for future issues.

He's not being fed any of that Hill's crap anymore. Pardon my
language, but all those wheat gluten, etc., fillers....he'd throw up
every time he ate stuff. He was eating dry T/D all his life until
these recent health issues which made me do some research. Dry food
isn't the best for their colons.

Now he's on Wellness grain free, receiving Miralax for his stools, and
I'm giving him sub-q fluids for a little while longer along with his
anti-nausea, predisone, and antibiotics.

I think you will see a huge change for the better with the canned food.
You're very wise and Hobbes is a lucky boy to have you. I hope he recovers
fully and regains his old self.

Old January 24th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jan 24, 8:48*am, jmc wrote:
[...]

jmc- Hide quoted text -

From what I've read, extra fiber isn't the way to go. I did the same
thing with Benefiber. It makes the digestive system over work itself,
then the colon has to push extra hard to get those hard stools out.

I get the powdered Miralax at my local drugstore chain like Rite-Aid
or Longs. I give him 1/8 tsp in the am. Some people give a lot more
and even 2x/day. But I started out with 1/8 tsp and that dose works
for Hobbes.

I'm mixing 2 Tablespoons of warm water in some of his Wellness wet
food and then mixing the Miralax in that. I then incorporate that
into the rest of the wet food. He loves it! Plus, it gives him more
liquid which helps him process the food in his system.

Let me know how it works.
Old January 24th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jan 24, 9:07*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"LauraM" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks so much. I feel like I've been brainwashed for years by the
vet and have just been deprogrammed. I do need to look for another
vet. I'm having a hard time finding a good one near me. I wonder
when I see nothing but Hill's products in their office.
Old January 25th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sudee

On Jan 24, 8:37*am, LauraM wrote:
[...]

Hi, new to group and devote cat fan -- or should I say slave to cats.
I'm glad you found Wellness. I had a vet that was so pleased when he
heard I found it for my cats as it is so good for them. He said all
the vets were so surprised to see such a great product out of a
relatively small company (not so small anymore I'm sure).

I do have to feed them the Royal Canin SO for my cat with a urinary
problem. I hate that I have to do that as they need the Wellness
indoor for weight control and it would be better. But she really has
to be on this for her urinary problems. She also has a heart murmur. I
lost a kitty with the same two problems who eventually died of
cardiomyopathy.

I work at home as a medical transcriptionist and my only supervisor is
my nagging snow shoe siamese (not a pure bred even though he looks it
as his sister is a calico). He will stand by my office door "yelling"
for me to get back to work. The calico, of course, could give a rip!

Hope Hobbes gets better. I truly love cats and don't know what I'd do
without them. Just lost a granddaughter (cat) this last weekend. My
son and daughter-in-law's baby kitty of less than two years had a CVA.
She was extremely tiny, never grew very big (rescued kitty). Died
within five minutes of her attack on the way to the vet. So sad. They
have another one that they got at the same time, but it is never the
same.

Sue - Firefight mom - outfit is complete without cat hair on it.
Old January 27th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

I've been away for some time, and am just catching up with this group.
Your messages about Hobbes were very siimilar to what we have gone
through with our Alino--an 18.5 year old Blue Point Siamese. He has
been on Lactulose stool softener for about 4 years--twice each day,
and now up to 1.5 units after each meal. It just does wonders for
him, and helps him "go"--even though he often "goes" wherever he needs
to, including on two rugs in our bedroom that are near his favorite
warming bed. We have simply learned to "look before we step" on these
rugs to be sure we don't step in anything nasty! Alino also gets very
embarassed when this happens, and comes to us to cry a bit to let us
know he has "gone" so that we can come and clean it up. He is a very
communicative elder statesman!!

This might help with your feeding situation: Alino's food regime
includes about 3 tablespoons of roasted chicken breast that I buy at
our grocery store every few days--one breast costs about $8 and lasts
about 4 to 5 days for two feedings per day. Since he has dental
problems--he is too old for the vet to clean his teeth, and also has a
slightly enlarged heart, so that she refuses to give him anesthesia
for any reason-- I crush the pieces of chicken between my fingers,
then add about 3 tablespoons of boxed chicken broth and heat the bowl
in the microwave. He also gets a quarter can of 9 Lives or Friskies
wet food (the other three-quarters of the can going to our youngest,
Pemberton, a 2.5 year old Short Haired American Tabby, who simply
loves to eat--typical of a shelter-rescued kitty!!). I sprinkle the
contents of a Cosequin capsule on the chicken breast (helps with
Alino's arthritis--in addition to a Baby aspirin given by mouth every
fourth day), and add about a teaspoon of Metamucil over the whole
bowl, stirring it all up. It looks like quite the casserole when it
is served, but Alino loves it, and usually finds a way to eat more of
the chicken then the wet cat food. He does have dry food (Science
Diet for Seniors), but drinks a lot of water every day as he has done
for years!!

Thus far, Alino is happy and still healthy! We have been through two
disastrous vet situations with our Amaretto (a victim of the poisoned
Chinese grain that ended up in cat food in April 2007), and with
Saunas, Amaretto and Alino's half brother, who died of kidney troubles
when he was only 6. We have told our vet that Alino will not be
visiting her again--she comes to us for a house call every 4 to 6
months to check him--and that if Alino begins to decline, she must do
what she can to help him here, teaching us how to administer whatever
care is necessary that he needs. He totally panics over any vet visit,
and we are all scared that it might trigger a heart attack. When the
time comes to go to Rainbow Bridge, Alino will be with us and home in
his most comfortable place and we will be with him. No way that we are
going to spend another $3000 (at total of $6000 spent on both Saunas
and Amaretto) only to end up with a dead cat only a few days later.
Fortunately, our vet agrees with us 100% and has been incredibly
supportive all the way around!! Now that Derek is only working 2 days
a week (due to the hard hit to the travel business in this economy),
Dr. Kennedy did not even charge us full price for Alino's last home
check up---most kind of her!!

Bestest to you and Hobbes,

PegNDerek

Old January 28th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jan 26, 5:03*pm, Peg Caldwell-Ott wrote:
[...]

Thank you for sharing your story, PnD! I'm glad you have a
supportive vet. I'm not sure mine is as keen on me doing all these
little "extras" like putting Lysine in his food and using Miralax.
He's kind of an "old school" vet which bothers me greatly. He keeps
attributing Hobbes sneezing to "allergies" which I find hard to
believe. I believe it was the feline herpes virus which came out
during his stressful pancreatic attack. Funny how after a week of
using Lysine, it miraculously went away. But the vet still calls them
"allergies". Ugh.

I do wonder about the Miralax. I know a lot of people use that on
their cats, but I'm not convinced even though I started using it. I
do have a humongous bottle of Lactulose. Maybe I should try that
instead. He seemed to respond to it before.

You've been through the wringer as far as cost, haven't you. I've
spent a lot of money on Hobbes, once when he was three and then just
recently another $2.5K. I wish you could claim cats as dependents.
*tee hee*

I think some cats, just like people, are really sensitive to dry
foods. Hobbes is 12 and he just couldn't take eating the dry stuff
anymore. I like Wellness because it has no grains. Personally, I
have allergies to wheat, so I can imagine that some animals would have
this issue as well.

He's doing pretty good, although he doesn't pass a stool every single
day like clockwork. It seems to be every 1-2 days. But when he does,
they're healthy. Now that he's eating food that's more digestible,
he's not producing those huge stools like he did before.

Good luck with your kitties!!!
Old January 28th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Hi Laura,

So good to hear that Hobbes is still on the mend! Yes, Lactulose
works, and works very well, and we highly recommend using it. Alino
also does not necessarily go every single day, but he does most
days--at least a small one, and a larger "session" when he has a day's
gap. They are always well formed and of normal consistency. Eating
the roaster chicken with chicken broth and regular cat food "on the
side" so to speak, is also very helpful to him, as is putting the
Metamucil (and Cosequin) in his food!!

One word of warning with the Lactulose--it is very sugary, so you
might want to test once a month or so, just to be sure the cat is
handling the sugar and not having troubles with diabetes!! We used to
test Amaretto (who was a diabetic for 11 years) twice a day with a
full sugar curve done once a month, so Alino has seen the drill many
times, and does not seem to mind when we test his sugar, drawing a
small sample of blood from his ear. He has never shown any signs of
sugar troubles, which is good news all around!!

Vets are always different. We have tried three different veterinary
offices that are in various parts of our neighborhood on Manhattan,
and the variation astounded us!! We have stuck with Park East for
about 12 years now, simply because we like the vets themselves, and
the way they are so accommodating to the animals--and us!! Yes, the
price is high (and we have no pet insurance, nor are they tax
deductable--now THERE is a new idea for the politicians!!), and what
really got us is that after we had paid our highest bills, the animal
died only a very few days later. That is why we discussed Alino's
situation very thoroughly with Dr. Kennedy and she was willing to work
with us to the max to see that he is well cared for and gets the
treatment he needs, but always at home! At one point toward the end
of his life, we even learned how to run an I.V. for Amaretto and give
him the sub-cutaneous water that he needed at the time. We are also
experts at shots, having given him his twice daily Insulin (actually
Humulin) for many years. We can also do ear cleanings. The only
things we don't know how to do are to draw larger blood and urine
samples, but I think we could handle that too if we had to!! Whatever
it takes.......

Bestest to you and Hobbes, and do keep us posted on his progress!

PegNDerek

www.pegndereksnorkeling.com
Information about us and our snorkeling adventures is posted on our
website, but no kitty picutres yet--we will have to add a section for
that at some point!!