Conference Update: The Art and Science of Animal Training

Old February 20th 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Behavior Analyst

Default Conference Update: The Art and Science of Animal Training

PROGRAM UPDATE: presentation descriptions for

The Art and Science of Animal Training:
Where Are We Now? Where Are We Going?

Are now available at www.orgs.unt.edu/orca

SAMPLER:

The Art of Training
by Steve Martin

Training is as much an art form as it is a science. Though all animal
training has a solid foundation in the science of behavior, it is
often the little things that we don't read in psychology books or
"Don't Shoot The Dog" that have the most important influence on our
training practices. These are things we often do in our training
sessions every day, like preparing the environment for success.
Sometimes we don't even realize we are doing them, like building
trustful relationships on solid foundations of positive experiences.
Sometimes we keep them to ourselves because they are not in the
training protocol and we are not sure if we are supposed to be doing
them, like giving an animal the power to influence its environment ...
including our body language. This presentation will explore some
training practices that don't get as much attention as the mainstream
training protocols.
Read more about other lectures by…

Alexandra Kurland
Kay Laurence