Vet Tech Journals: Still unemployed....

Old October 10th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default Vet Tech Journals: Still unemployed....

Went on two interviews in the past week and haven't heard anything.
I'm going to call the clinics on Monday to follow up

In the meantime, the cats are keeping me company and if i'm on the
computer too much they let me know.

In my spare time i managed to get a spare tv set up in my office, and
set up my Wii game system, which i haven't played with in a long
time.

And later that night i found out how much fun it is to play Wii games
when there's a cat in your lap.

And now I'd like to pose a question to the group....

in my spare time, I've been looking over my Vet Tech Journals, all
five years worth...and I've been contemplating turning them into a
book...

I realize a lot of my entries were sometimes posed for the cat group,
but a lot of them really gave an insight of what it was like for me to
go through school and work in the veterinary field.

So I've decided to try putting it into a book format. Once for the
RVT class newsletter, I wrote an article called 'Vet Tech Journals'
and wrote a fictional tale from a first person POV of what it was like
to to be in a class trying to draw blood for the very first time. It
was basely very much on my experiences, and it got great responses.

I'm thinking on using that same format. Creating a fictional first-
person journal chronically the events and experiences from starting
the school program, to working in the veterinary field, to graduating
and passing the board exam. Everything based on my experiences and
past VTJ entries. Of course all names would have to be changed even
further, etc....

Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
enjoyed them. So my questions are these....

If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
purchasing/reading it?

Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?

If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
willing to help me write/edit?

This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how to
proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going to
possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel i
have a marketable product.

Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
here on the group or you can email me.

Thanks,

Kristi
Old October 10th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Mischief kirjoitti:
snip
[...]

As you've already stated, you're a talkative person, and you seem to be
that also in writing, I mean, it seems to be easy for you to produce
fluent text. This is a good thing when you're thinking of writing a
book. I have enjoyed your stories too, and like you said, the one you
wrote for the RVT class newsletter got a great response, so it's not
just us who like them.

On the technical side of it, if you're thinking of using a
do-it-yourself publishing service, you can probably format your pages as
you want them, I don't know, you need to check with them. However, if
you get your story accepted by a "real" publisher/printing house, you
might need to forward the text to them in basic ASCII-format (windows
notepad, for example), and they'll transfer it into their system and
format it themselves. At least this is how they did it at my mother's
former job, when she worked for a printing house, at first as a
typesetter and later in sales.

Good luck with your endeavour!! You might become the next great
vet-story author, like James Herriot and the like!!

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old October 10th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]

"Mischief" wrote in message
[...]

Go for it Kristi!!! You don't really need a publisher - there are plenty of
"do it yourself" places around nowadays! Some even help w/ marketing. You
should check into it. Get the first copy(ies) printed & bound at a place
like Staples, Office Depot, Kinko's or the UPS Store - and go from there.

Old October 10th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 10, 6:22*am, Kajikit wrote:

Comments? *Thoughts? *Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
here on the group or you can email me.

I'd be happy to buy a copy- I always enjoy the Vet Tech Journals and
as some people have already said these days you don't need an agent
and a publisher

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old October 10th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
"Mischief" wrote in message
[...]

Kristi, you can also go to a publish on demand house, like Lulu. Basically,
you are self-publishing, but they do the printing and binding, as the books
are ordered. It does cost something - I believe they charge per page - but
they will tell you up front what the cost is, so you can decide what to
charge for the books in order to make a profit.

A friend from another newsgroup is working on his fourth book, using this
method. His books are collections of stories of his experiences. If you
email me, I can tell you more about them, and send you the url to his
website, where he has a section on self-publishing.

I agree with others that a collection of your stories would make a great
book, and I'd certainly be interested.

Joy

Old October 10th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

Christine BA wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
@aioe.org:

Mischief kirjoitti:
snip
[...]

Just jumping in here... my mother discovered when she tried to get
published that the "real" publishing houses will not accept anything
unless it comes from an agent.
Bobble

Old October 10th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Bobble kirjoitti:
Christine BA wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
@aioe.org:

Mischief kirjoitti:
snip
[...]

I'm sure that's true, as mom only worked at a printing company, not an
actual publishing house. So that alternative would get the book a
professional look, but no contract for sales and distribution etc.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old October 10th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

"Christine BA" wrote in message
Bobble kirjoitti:
Christine BA wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
@aioe.org:

Mischief kirjoitti:
snip
[...]

That's true. However, I understand from my friend that it is possible to
register a self-published book with Amazon.com. I'm sure there is a fee for
this, but if one wants to increase sales, it is possible.

Joy

Old October 10th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Bobble kirjoitti:
Christine BA wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
@aioe.org:

Mischief kirjoitti:
snip
[...]

Not to change subject but to get down to quick cash path....I still
think with a
little marketing effort you could get a following like someone here
who has
small ads in local papers as "Critter Sitter" for dogs, cats, reptiles
and rodent
pets. No coworkers, no vet bosses, just licensed (your lecense) pet
care for
people with other things to do than walk the dog (I sometimes feel bad
watching
dog owners unhappily out in snowstorms walking dogs (realizing you are
in L.A.)
and/or vacationing. Have you considered doing this?

***

These services can also include feeding critters and giving them attention
when the owners are away. My daughter and her husband pay a pet sitter to
take care of their cats when they are traveling. The sitter cleans out the
litter box, feeds them, pets them if they'll let her, even sits a while so
they can come into her lap if they want. She also keeps a sort of diary as
to their behavior and appearance each day. If requested, she sends an email
daily, or possibly less often, either to them, or to me (if they'll be out
of touch completely). Fees can be graded according to what needs to be
done.

If you're thinking of getting into this, you might look for ads and call to
ask about fees, so you have an idea of what to charge.

Joy

Old October 11th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

"Mischief" wrote in message

[...]

I regularly read a writers' newsgroup, rec.arts.sf.composition (I am not
myself a writer, but like learning about the writing process and can
occasionally help answer a background question for a writer). According
to what I have read on that newsgroup, most "brick and mortar" bookstores
(i.e., those with an actual retail storefront) aren't willing to take the
chance of buying self-published books. So, if you go the self-
publication route, you will also have to go around to public events such
as flea markets to sell the books, or sell them through a web site.

--
John F. Eldredge --