My cat

Old October 29th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lucky

Default My cat

A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. The
tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" He would eat
anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. However, I thought he
had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. Last month, he
started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
thin and almost fell over he was so weak. I took him to the emergency
room, and they told me he was very sick. They said they felt a
intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
bathroom for several days. They advised me to either put him to sleep
or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. I had
to let him go.
Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. I have
another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
(even soap). I am so worried that I made him sick. Although, his
symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... He
didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. He just threw-up which
was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
poisoned?? Thank you
Old October 29th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
wrote:

[...]

You have just lost a good friend, not nice and sad
I always thought a cats life expectancy was around 12?
My present cat is 22 and although its spine feels bony (bad sign means
it's on it's way out) still active though

Petzl
Old October 29th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:22 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"Lucky" wrote in message
Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen.

All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
exterminator. I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
but good canned food.

Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
them)
For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
become thousands)
http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html

Petzl
A good
Old October 29th 09, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lucky

wrote:

"Lucky" wrote in message
[...]

Petzl, thank you. I lost the best friend. It was one of the hardest
days of my life. I guess there is a reason, I didn't mention the Raid
question that day, and the Vet never suspected poisoning. She said
she thought he had a mass and probably cancer. Do you think I should
call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
should I let it go since he is gone now?
Old October 29th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:00:52 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
wrote:

Do you think I should
call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
should I let it go since he is gone now?

No
I doubt Raid will harm poison anything except insects
Your cat had the best life one could give
Don't know why mine is still alive at 22 but most cats succumb around
12 years old no mater what you do.
Sorry for you loss of a good faithful friend
Petzl
Old October 29th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lucky

wrote:
Do you think I should
call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
should I let it go since he is gone now?

No
I doubt Raid will harm poison anything except insects
Your cat had the best life one could give
Don't know why mine is still alive at 22 but most cats succumb around
12 years old no mater what you do.
Sorry for you loss of a good faithful friend
Petzl

Thank you so much for a little peace of mind. That's great you have a
22 yr old cat. I hope my other 2 animals live that long - it's too
difficult seeing them go. I think in my heart I believe he had
cancer. several yrs ago he ate a little bit of a poisettia, and I
took him to the vet. He had so much diarhea, and acted different when
he had poisoning, than this time. Then with all the symptoms last
year - I think he probably had cancer last yr and it wasn't detected.
Because the test was negative and he seemed to be getting better
(stomach fluid went down), I didn't think he needed to go in for more
tests. I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
much - he was a very cool cat. Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
( I miss him.
Old October 29th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lucky" wrote in

I just feel horrible about his

death. I loved him so much. I found him in a pound 13 yrs ago. and
bonded instantly. I will never be able to replace him.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You didn't do anything wrong it was just his
time to go. The love you built together will be there always. He was a lucky
cat. Be good to yourself now. You were certainly good to him.

Old October 29th 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lucky" wrote
tests. I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
much - he was a very cool cat. Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
( I miss him.)

Do you have some pictures you might put up on a web site, then put the link
here? I would love to see photos of him. He sounds very cool. I know he
loved you so much too. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old October 29th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lucky

On Oct 28, 10:58*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Lucky" wrote
tests. *I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
much - he was a very cool cat. *Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
( *I miss him.)

Do you have some pictures you might put up on a web site, then put the link
here? I would love to see photos of him. He sounds very cool. I know he
loved you so much too. *I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you... I am organizing some photos and will see if I can post
some here. He was so sweet. He was a tabby cat. There were cuter
kittens at the pound when I found him and everyone tried to get me to
choose another one, but when I held him he never tried to jump out of
my arms like the other cats. At the vet, the nurse commented what a
little lover he was. He was also so special and smart. I was lucky
to have found him and thank you for your kind note. I think the bond
w/ a cat like that is as strong as any relationship. We did build a
lasting love connection and I'm grateful and feel better knowing that
I took care of him the best I could the last 13 yrs. Will probably
always miss him...
Old October 29th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

wrote:

"Lucky" wrote in message
[...]

I'm very sorry about your cat. Focus on the wonderful memories of
your cat. Try not to focus too much on guilt, as it can actually
interfere with the grieving process. Most likely the Raid was not the
cause of death anyway.

You might want to read some of the posts over at the following
newsgroup:
alt.support.grief.pet-loss

You might also want to memorialize your cat. When my cat died
recently, I blew some pictures up and hung them on the wall. Also, I
wrote down my many memories with her. I found that very therapeutic.

FirstHit