In need of advice

Old November 20th 09, 11:16 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default In need of advice

Hi Anthony, I am sorry you are going through this.

Yes vets add a huge mark up for it.

Nothing wrong with ordering from somewhere else. The vets best interest
should be the pet. If the vet refuses to give a prescription so you can
order if offline. Find another vet that will.

My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get it
online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands but
he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want extra. I
understand this he is in business.

I am going to add another newsgroup for a reply from others. This is a low
activity group
rec.pets.cats.health+behav has plenty of knowledgeable people

wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster to this group and I am in need of some advice
about my cat. Here is a basic summary. My sweet (sometimes) little cat
bandit is approximately 18 years old and has been very healthy for her
whole life. Recently she began throwing up and sleeping constantly..
We took her in for blood work and it turns out that she is suffering
from kidney failure along with anemia.

According to the vet, the biggest problem is her anemia. I have been
researching a drug called Epogen and I spoke with the vet about it
this morning. What I am wondering about is this. He quoted me a price
of 80 dollars for a small bottle of Epogen. On pet medicine web sites
they offer it for as low as 35 dollars a bottle. Is my vet adding a
huge mark-up to this or is there something I am not understanding.
Would it be considered bad ettiquette to order the medicine rather
than buy it from him..

If anyone has any advice about renal failure, anemia, life quality
etc, I'd love to hear your thoughts. She doesn't seem to be in any
discomfort, but it can be tricky to tell with cats

Thank you, Anthony

Old November 20th 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get
it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands
but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want extra.
I understand this he is in business.

Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.

Old November 21st 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get
it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands
but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want
extra. I understand this he is in business.

Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.

We talked about that before ;-) Wal-Mart does not carry what he takes

Old November 21st 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I
get it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He
understands but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that
I want extra. I understand this he is in business.

Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.

We talked about that before ;-) Wal-Mart does not carry what he takes

Forgive my senior moments. :-)