Kitten with Terrible Odor

Old November 29th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default Kitten with Terrible Odor

First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.

History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
six months old. She was thin, but no
apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
homed as an indoor cat.

She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
of it is coming
from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
young to have tooth decay anyway.

The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.

On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
cat.

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
smelled really bad?

Thanks
Sherry
Old November 29th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"Sherry" wrote

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
smelled really bad?

Sherry, nice to see you posting!

The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth. Please
let us know what the vet says.

Old November 29th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Nov 28, 11:50*pm, "cyberpurrs" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
smelled really bad?

Sherry, nice to see you posting!

The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth. Please
let us know what the vet says.

Thanks!
I really hope so too. I think it would be unusual for a 6 month old
kitten to have a
bad tooth, but surely it is possible. Especially a stray whose
background I have
no idea about. Wouldn't you think cancer would likewise be unusual in
a kitten?
And why do we always notice stuff like this on the first day of a 4-
day holiday
weekend?
She's a really affectionate little thing. She is just adorable. And
her housecat manners
are very nice, for a kitten. She learns quickly. I have about given up
on finding her a home.
We had to have Yoda put down, so it's not like I don't have space for
her. She showed up
*in the garage* nearly the same night we lost Yoda. And started
climbing the screen door,
like she thought she belonged in the house.
Sherry

Old November 29th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Sherry I see cyber and the others in the other group said about the mouth.
From what I remember it could be an infection. Gum or teeth problems.
I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems

Old November 29th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sherry" wrote
The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth.
Please
let us know what the vet says.

Thanks! I really hope so too. I think it would be unusual for a 6 month old
kitten to have a bad tooth, but surely it is possible. Especially a stray
whose
background I have no idea about.

It does seem unlikely she would have a bad tooth from something like decay,
but perhaps as Matthew said, an abscess or infection? I forgot about the
kidney symptom. She sounds lovely, hope she is okay.

Wouldn't you think cancer would likewise be unusual in a kitten?

I have never heard of cancer in a kitten, though I am sure it happens, but
very rarely.

And why do we always notice stuff like this on the first day of a 4-day
holiday
weekend?

I hear you! Part of Murphy's Law, no doubt.

She's a really affectionate little thing. She is just adorable. And her
housecat manners
are very nice, for a kitten. She learns quickly. I have about given up on
finding her a home.

Oh, Sherry, I think she may be the luckiest kitten ever, then. If you take
her she certainly will be.

We had to have Yoda put down, so it's not like I don't have space for her.

I am so sorry you had to let Yoda go. He lived to be very old didn't he? How
is Biscuit?

She showed up *in the garage* nearly the same night we lost Yoda. And
started
climbing the screen door, like she thought she belonged in the house.

Probably because she belongs in the house. You know there is no such
thing as coincidence in these matters.

Old November 30th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Nov 29, 11:01*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

From what I remember *it could be an infection. *Gum or teeth problems.
I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Matthew. I don't think it's her teeth. But I have wondered if
she has a
mouth ulcer/abscess. They smell really bad too. I didn't know that
about Kidney
problems manifesting a body odor.

Sherry
Old November 30th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Old Geezer

Sherry wrote:
[...]

I have a female cat that adopted me when she was several years old
that had terrible breath. After getting her teeth cleaned at the
vet her breath is a lot better, but every few months I brush her
teeth with cat toothpaste and she is good to go. She's been my cat
now for seven years. She's a really good cat.

Old Geezer

Old December 1st 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Nov 29, 12:19*am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Why don;t you just give him a bath? You'd stink too if you never got
any.

The Nice Mean Man
Old December 6th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Sherry wrote:

Oh, Cheryl. Jackie is *exactly* the reason I am obsessing over this.
There are
a lot of similarities. Surely this would not happen to me *twice*.
Good Vet took
off for the holiday and won't be back to work until Wednesday.
Mediocre Vet
is covering patients for him. I'm waiting until Wednesday.

Sherry

How's the kitty doing? Were you able to find out what's causing the
odor? I hope things are looking up for her.

FirstHit