Anyone know what some diagnoses would be?

Old December 22nd 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lisa C

Default Anyone know what some diagnoses would be?

I was at the SPCA on Saturday. A potential adopter had picked out a
little black and white kitten probably about 12 weeks old (my
estimate). Then I see them carry the kitten out back with the adopter
saying "they won't put her to sleep, will they?" It seems the
kitten's gums were really pale and she was foaming at the mouth. The
rep said they would have the vet techs look at her and call the vet if
necessary. The adopter then went and looked at some other cats/
kittens.

Any idea what those symptoms might indicate?

They were so overrun with cats and kittens, they spilled over into the
dog rooms.
Old December 22nd 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Lisa C" wrote in message
I was at the SPCA on Saturday. A potential adopter had picked out a
little black and white kitten probably about 12 weeks old (my
estimate). Then I see them carry the kitten out back with the adopter
saying "they won't put her to sleep, will they?" It seems the
kitten's gums were really pale and she was foaming at the mouth. The
rep said they would have the vet techs look at her and call the vet if
necessary. The adopter then went and looked at some other cats/
kittens.

Any idea what those symptoms might indicate?

They were so overrun with cats and kittens, they spilled over into the
dog rooms.

Foaming at the mouth can indicate a serious problem, but it can also be as
simple as nervousness (understandable in a shelter), eating something that
is upsetting to the stomach (possibly even an insect), or reaction to flea
preparation or other medication. I wish the potential adopter had insisted
on having the cat examined by a vet because the poor little thing may not
have much hope under those circumstances.

MaryL

Old December 22nd 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Lisa C" wrote in message
I was at the SPCA on Saturday. A potential adopter had picked out a
little black and white kitten probably about 12 weeks old (my
estimate). Then I see them carry the kitten out back with the adopter
saying "they won't put her to sleep, will they?" It seems the
kitten's gums were really pale and she was foaming at the mouth. The
rep said they would have the vet techs look at her and call the vet if
necessary. The adopter then went and looked at some other cats/
kittens.

Any idea what those symptoms might indicate?

They were so overrun with cats and kittens, they spilled over into the
dog rooms.

Pale gums can be caused by excessive flea infestation....the kitten might
not have much blood left if it has been too heavily infested with fleas for
too long.....I don't know much about the foaming at the mouth......