Nasty smell from cat

Old January 4th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Default Nasty smell from cat

Allan Smith wrote:
Kelly,

There is one other possibility, an allergy to gluten. I have one that has
the problem. If she is fed anything with wheat in it - run for the exits. I
use canned food, but am very careful to avoid corn, wheat, barley, and rye
in her foods. Rice is ok, as it contains no gluten. Oats don't seem to
bother her.

In humans, the autoimmune form is called Celiac Sprue, and info is here.
https://health.google.com/health/ref...isease+-+sprue

Wild cats do get a tiny bit of grains. It's in the stomachs of their prey.

But I never saw a cat stalk, kill, and eat an ear of corn.

Allan

I wish you could have seen Ginger (a very large orange tabby) attack an
ear of corn. He ate it down the row like people do. Memories: that
was long ago. Best wishes. MLB
Old January 4th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

MLB,

Was he a diabetic? Most such cats lapse into a coma at the end.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

Old January 5th 10, 10:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 4, 10:04*am, MLB wrote:
Allan Smith wrote:
Kelly,

There is one other possibility, an allergy to gluten. I have one that has
the problem. If she is fed anything with wheat in it - run for the exits. I
use canned food, but am very careful to avoid corn, wheat, barley, and rye
in her foods. Rice is ok, as it contains no gluten. Oats don't seem to
bother her.

In humans, the autoimmune form is called Celiac Sprue, and info is here..
https://health.google.com/health/ref...isease+-+sprue

Wild cats do get a tiny bit of grains. It's in the stomachs of their prey.

But I never saw a cat stalk, kill, and eat an ear of corn.

Allan

I wish you could have seen Ginger (a very large orange tabby) attack an
ear of corn. *He ate it down the row like people do. *Memories: *that
was long ago. *Best wishes. * MLB

We've has several cats that loved corn. Duffy also loved broccoli.
Maynard loved peas and mushrooms more than tuna and chicken. He also
loved cantaloupe, Lima beans, corn, carrots, snow peas, pasta, blue
cheese dressing, and a bunch more. Kira loved carrots. We gave a
carrot to the dog for a snack, and I found Kira dragging it around and
trying to eat it.

Old January 6th 10, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

MLB,

There are many things a cat will eat as it mimics the humans and dogs around
them. Like children, they 'learn' form thier 'parents'. While vegetables
aren't normally much of a problem, gluten-grains can be another matter
entirely, just as with humans.

Corn is not usually a gluten-problem, but it is one of the highest-glycemic
foods around, quickly spikes the blood glucose, and many believe it can
contribute to diabetes later in a cat's life. I think it best avoided.

Allan

Old January 8th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Kelly Green" wrote in message
. com...

"Allan Smith" wrote in message
MLB,

There are many things a cat will eat as it mimics the humans and dogs
around them. Like children, they 'learn' form thier 'parents'. While
vegetables aren't normally much of a problem, gluten-grains can be
another
matter entirely, just as with humans.

Corn is not usually a gluten-problem, but it is one of the
highest-glycemic foods around, quickly spikes the blood glucose, and many
believe it can contribute to diabetes later in a cat's life. I think it
best avoided.

Us humans are also eating way too many foods that spike our blood glucose.
Look at the rate of obesity and diabetes in the US population. Our pets
are
following in our footsteps.

Although I frequently try, I cannot get my cats to eat anything that is not
meat.Sometimes Meggie will nibble at a piece of cake or doughnut, but she
seldom eats more that a fraction of an ounce of it, and the rest of them
won't even do that......They are hopelessly hooked on meat.

Old January 8th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Bill,

Since cats are true carnivores, not omnivores like humans and dogs, it isn't
surprising they prefer meat. As for cake, cats cannot taste sweet, so you
might as well try to get them to eat bread. They might have a slight
preference for some cakes over bread, but it is likely due to a higher
butter content, not sugar.

Quite simply, if an animal's ancestral diet does not include fruits, there
is no need for it to difeferentiate sweet, sour, and bitter. You can test
this by offering your cat a half-teaspoon of vinegar-containing liquid,
shuch as the juice from bottled olives or dill pickles, Most will drink it
for the acetate, not even tasting the sourness. Some will drink straight
vinegar.

In the wild, cats doen't eat grains, except those in the stomach of their
prey. Their metabolic process is finely tuned to a diet of small animals and
insects, i.e., high protein, some fats, but very low carbohydrates.
Commercial cat foods often use grains as a 'filler' to increse volume and
reduce production cost. Normally rather harmless in small quantities, too
much can lead to obesity, particularly in spayed females, and to changes in
urine chemistry and crystals, a particular probelm for neutered males.

And, like one of mine, gluten-containing grains can create serious problems
with Celiac Sprue.

Allan

Old January 8th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

[...]

Yes, they seem to like butter, and our vet says small amounts of it are good
for them because it helps prevent them from accumulating hair balls. She
does like to lick the butter cream frosting on cakes and doughnuts too. I
had one years ago who would eat canned fish that was packed in hot
sauce......I liked it, and whenever I ate it, she would hop up on the table
and ask for some......The hot sauce didn't seem to bother her at all, so I
don't think she could taste it Since hot peppers are not on a carnivore's
regular diet, I can understand why they may not be able to taste them.

Old January 8th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Bill,

Since hot peppers are not on a carnivore's regular diet, I can understand
why they may not be able to taste them.

Yep, I was quite surprised to find out long ago that one of mine liked
pickled jalapenos that were so hot I couldn't eat them. She was after the
vinegar, and the jalapeno heat wasn't going to get in her way. But even when
given a choice between green olives and jalapenos, she preferred the
jalapenos. Unless you pulled the pimento out of the olive. She'd go for the
pimento before the jalapenos.

Oh well, she _was_ after all, a cat.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and
get used to the idea."
- Robert Heinlein

Allan

Old January 10th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley[_3_]

On Jan 8, 12:40*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
.. I
had one years ago who would eat canned fish that was packed in hot
sauce......I liked it, and whenever I ate it, she would hop up on the table
and ask for some......The hot sauce didn't seem to bother her at all,

Fugazi (RB) liked lamb doner kebabs with chilli sauce- the hotter the
better but she only liked the chilli sauce- she;d lick the meat clean
and leave it.

Dave was once eating a sheek kebab from our local takeaway- these
things are very hot- about the limit of his tolerance and miles above
mine- he put his plate down for a second and Sarrasine who usually
never shows much interest in Hoomin food suddenly snatched the last
bit off the plate and ran off with it. We expected at very least a
lot of feline cursing and a bolt to the water dish but she sat there
chewing on it and afterwards did the whole lip licking and washing
routine that she does whenever she has something nice to eat

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 10th 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lesley" wrote
- he put his plate down for a second and Sarrasine who usually
never shows much interest in Hoomin food suddenly snatched the last
bit off the plate and ran off with it. \\

This is funny.

Im uff da nasty medz :) Kyla =^..^= Cat community 10 February 26th 08 12:34 AM
WOO HOO! Mosey's off The Nasty Stuff Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 6 February 24th 08 09:23 PM
Nasty Weather! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 February 26th 07 01:49 AM
a nasty taste John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 5 February 19th 05 07:56 PM
Nasty. nasty, agressive sprinklermonsters Amelia T Cat Cat community 4 October 4th 03 07:00 PM