Tape Worms...

Old January 17th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivy LittleVine

Default Tape Worms...

I am the somewhat inexperienced foster mother of multiple INDOOR
felines living in a small space. I recently dewormed my crew less than
a month ago for the first time and noticed this morning that They-y-
y'r-r-r-e-e-e Ba-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k !-!-!

I went through my vet for the medication and successfully administered
roundworm and tapeworm medication to them at home myself. At $10 a
crack per cat... I cannot afford to do this on a continuous basis
every month.

Here's the problem...

After giving them their medication... when is the best time (how many
days do I wait?) before introducing their new litter boxes? and what
type of solution do I need to clean their paws/claws with to help
eliminate any possible re-infestations that can occur from them
cleaning their paws?

Old January 17th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Ivy LittleVine" wrote in message
I am the somewhat inexperienced foster mother of multiple INDOOR
felines living in a small space. I recently dewormed my crew less than
a month ago for the first time and noticed this morning that They-y-
y'r-r-r-e-e-e Ba-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k !-!-!

I went through my vet for the medication and successfully administered
roundworm and tapeworm medication to them at home myself. At $10 a
crack per cat... I cannot afford to do this on a continuous basis
every month.

Here's the problem...

After giving them their medication... when is the best time (how many
days do I wait?) before introducing their new litter boxes? and what
type of solution do I need to clean their paws/claws with to help
eliminate any possible re-infestations that can occur from them
cleaning their paws?

Matthew is right. Cats get tapeworms when they ingest fleas, not as a
result of licking their paws after using the litterbox. Here is a site that
describes the process:
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+d...x=&startPage=1

If you're sure they're "back," then you will need to go through the
deworming treatment again. However, you also need to take steps to
eradicate fleas. Even if your cats are indoor-only, it's possible for fleas
to get into your home. For example, they could be transported on your shoes
or other clothing or even on the clothing of visitors. You may need to
treat the perimeter of your house when you treat the indoors. Part of the
treatment should involve *thoroughly* vacuuming the house, including
furniture. Be sure to get into the edges of the room and underneath carpets
because fleas can reside in tiny crevices. You will need to be vigilent
about this. My vet once said that fleas have "timed release eggs" that can
hatch as long as 3 years before finding a host--and the fleas will become
the culprits for tapeworms. When you treat your house/apartment, buy a
couple of flea collars. *Do not* put them on your cats (they are toxic!).
Instead, empty your vacuum cleaner and take the contents *outside,* then cut
a flea collar into small segments. Vacuum a few of those pieces into your
vacuum cleaner bag or cannister to get any eggs that may be in there.

Talk to your vet about Advantage or a similar product if you need to trat
your cats. Over-the-counter medications are ineffective and are often
dangerous.

MaryL

Old January 17th 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivy LittleVine

On Jan 17, 10:14*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
[...]

cleaning their paws?- Hide quoted text -

I use cedarcide... we don't have fleas. Two were avid mousers that
lived outside until recently. The vet said eating mice/crickets etc.
was probably the original cause. Only one (the same cat) is once again
showing signs of the problem... but beings they all share the same
litter boxes everyone has to receive medication.
Old January 17th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivy LittleVine

describes the process:http://www.google.com/search?q=how+d...&rls=com.micro...

[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

We've had two long spells of subzero temperatures around here. No
fleas are coming in here on shoes or anything else for that matter...
unless they've been nursing antifreeze. smile
Old January 17th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:
[...]

- - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, but...don't forget what my vet said. Flea eggs can lie dormant for up
to three years (and be invisible to people looking for them).

I spent my Christmas vacation with family and friends in Ohio, so I know
what you mean about living on antifreeze.

--
MaryL

Old January 17th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivy LittleVine

wrote:

[...]

I'm gonna have to quiz my vet's assistant about this stuff again.
She's the one who said... "if they all share a litterbox, they all
need medication." Perhaps she was referring only to roundworms, eh?

Just to give you half an idea what a fanatic I am about this. I have a
HEPA handvac (on my hands and knees) that I use to clean EVERY SQUARE
INCH of carpeting and furniture... after which I spray cedarcide
throughout my entire space. The cats also get a soaking. When
finished... I soak a Kleenex with cedarcide and suck it up into my
regular vacuum. Them varmits don't have a prayer in this house. On top
of the cedarcide... I also use UV light where they eat and on throw
rugs that can't be thrown into the washing machine. I also wipe my
floors up with straight white vinegar. If anybody else has any
cleaning tips PLEASE share them.

Old January 17th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:

[...]

Well, the litterbox could be a culprit if there are eggs in it (quite
possible). You obviously are scrupulous in cleaning (much more more than I
am), so please don't take my remarks about cleaning as an insult. The point
is, *anyone* could get a couple of fleas in the house and not notice it, and
that's all it takes because they (and especially their eggs) are so tiny.

MaryL

Old January 17th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivy LittleVine

wrote:

[...]

I can testify to well-kept homes that never had indoor pets being
infested with fleas in their carpeting. So what you are saying holds a
spark of truth. I'm just gonna have to keep on my toes and not let
down my guard. Thanks for the little reminder, MaryL.

Old January 18th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Ivy,

What kind of worm?

Cats can get roundworms not just in the litterbox, but from soil, grooming,
or elsewhere as well. The typical treatment is two, sometimes three,
wormings, three weeks apart.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...__kittens.html

Tapeworms are caused by ingesting fleas, either on their prey, or in
grooming themselves or each other. The typical treatement for tapeworms is
to get rid of fleas, then worm once. Though some vets advise a second
worming three weeks later, it can be skipped to see if any segments
reappear. I've never had to administer a second dose if fleas are not
present. If it is tapeworms that are back, it is likely that you have a flea
problem.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

Drontal is my choice for a tablet womer - it gets roundworms, tapeworms, and
hookworms.

Profender is my choice for a spot-on treatment that gets roundworms,
tapeworms, and hookworms, and it is effective for three months, thus doesn't
need to be repeated in three weeks.

"Advantage" is a spot-on treatment that gets adult fleas.

"Advantage Multi" ("Advocate" in Europe) is a spot-on treatment that gets
adult fleas, roundworms and hookworms (but not tapeworms), ear mites, and
prevents heartworm (heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes - not typically a
problem for indoor cats).

If you have a flea infestation problem, Revolution may be a better choice,
as it kills adult fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs, both on the cat as well
as in the environment, in addition to ear mites, roundworm and hookworm (but
not tapeworm), and prevents heartworms.

Best prices I've found are here, and no prescription is required:

Drontal -
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...Products/drc4t

Profender -
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...egories/Wormer

Advantage -
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...tage%20Cats%22

Advantage Multi -
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...ocate%20Cat%22

Revolution -
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...tion%20Cats%22

I use Advantage on the indoor cats (about $7/month) for normal flea control,
and Advantage Multi on the outdoor cats (about $10/month). Advantage Multi
is a little more expensive, but not much more than other flea-control
products, and does much more than just control fleas.

A neighbor who has a flea infestation in his house used Revolution on his
dogs, and reported excellent results within 30 days, without resorting to
some of the more tedious methods often used when fleas become established
indoors.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

[OT] Worms Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 December 22nd 08 11:53 PM
Worms and very possesive cat Prissykitty73 Cat health & behaviour 4 May 3rd 06 05:47 AM
widcat with worms. Boner the Cat Cat health & behaviour 2 April 28th 06 01:41 PM
Cat - Worms [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 14 November 21st 05 07:57 PM
worms kevt Cat health & behaviour 3 August 28th 04 12:59 AM