Introducing older cat and kitten, OK this is cool

Old January 20th 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Introducing older cat and kitten, OK this is cool

Baby was ten weeks Nov. 25, Gracie is about ten years. Much hissing and
girlyslapping, I did not really separate them formally, just made sure each
had a plac to go, and gave Gracie a break from the kitten, also a girl, from
time to time. They had separate sleeping areas but could be together--or
not--all day and evening with me at home most of the time.

At first it looked like Gracie was just wrecked, she developed a new
plaintive cry, began overgrooming, and was totally irritated allll the time.
The bad URI the kitten gave her, and the herpes outbreak did not help. (YES,
I should have kept them separated.)

Then Gracie began asserting herself vigorously and loudly to stop the
constant stalking the kitten was doing. And she succeeded! Next phase I
found them sleeping a foot apart, but if the baby tried to sniff her or
touch her Gracie hissed.

Now, just this morning, for the first time in years I saw Gracie play like a
kitten! She plays, but not that wild-eyed kitten play with the leaps and
flips. The kitten was not up yet, but Gracie's mood was unmistakable. It was
wonderful to see, as now I feel the kitten is a good influence on her, a
stimulating influence. When not sleeping they skirmish and there is an
occasional hiss from Gracie, but they are very close to playing together.

Old January 20th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
[...]

That is good to hear. I try to get TuTu to play but she thinks it is
too much trouble. However, a couple of days ago I gave her a new catnip
mousie and she started batting it all over the kitchen. She must do it
at night because I find them in different places in the morning. Best
wishes. MLB
Old January 21st 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:21:35 -0700, MLB wrote:

cybercat wrote:
[...]

Always so nice to hear something like this. Where did Baby come from?
Did I miss this?