Sliming an over weight cat

Old February 3rd 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

Default Sliming an over weight cat

My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.

Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian
Old February 3rd 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
harry

On Feb 2, 8:59*pm, Brian wrote:
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.

Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Hello,

Give kitty dry food 24 hours a day and water, and nothing else.
Make sure you use a GOOD and proper grade/type of cat food.

Truly

Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32
Old February 3rd 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

harry wrote:

On Feb 2, 8:59*pm, Brian wrote:
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.

Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Hello,

Give kitty dry food 24 hours a day and water, and nothing else.
Make sure you use a GOOD and proper grade/type of cat food.

Truly

Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

But I've only been feeding him on dry food and water to drink and
nothing else.

Regards Brian
Old February 3rd 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

"Kelly Greene" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time.

Which is the worst way to feed housecats as you found out.

Should I put less food in his
bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
does not get food until his next feed.

No matter how you do it he has to take in LESS calories to lose weight.
Getting him moving will also help. You can look into canned foods that don't
contain grains and corn which are very fattening.

I've heard that crash diets are
bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.

He can't eat more of anything unless YOU put it in his bowl. Get the
fattening grains out of his diet.
A few good sites:

Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
www.rawfedcats.org

Thanks Kelly.
I'll do some research on the sites you've given me.
I don't think there's anyway to get him moving at his age (unless a
dog was chasing him).

Regards Brian
Old February 5th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Thanks Kelly.
I'll do some research on the sites you've given me.
I don't think there's anyway to get him moving at his age (unless a
dog was chasing him).

Regards Brian

Yes, Kelly has provided some excellent links. Our oldest cat was once
very overweight. I tried "prescription" dry food over the course of a
year, only to have him gain MORE weight. Finally, I switched to a
grain-free wet food and he slowly lost the weight (and has kept it off
for five years).

See his weight loss web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
Old February 5th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Just feed a grain free canned food twice a day. No free feeding. Put
the canned food down and after a half hour, remove it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 6th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Where are the ghostbusters when we need them?

"I've been slimmed!"

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 6th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian :
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel

Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
his mouth.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 6th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian :
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel

Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
his mouth.

You mean, "Try putting it in his moweth"?

Old February 6th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:17:33 -0800 from Bill Graham :

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian :
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel

Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
his mouth.

You mean, "Try putting it in his moweth"?

Or his "meoweth"? :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...