Pretty Girl is dead, Scooter is missing.

Old March 1st 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Pretty Girl is dead, Scooter is missing.

Pretty Girl was one of the neighborhood cats. She was firendly with a
family that went to Florida for the winter at the beginning of January
and would even hang out in their house. She very rarely stoppped by my
front door for a feeding and was quite skitish around me but a
neighbor was taking care of her and she would sometimes stay overnight
in their house. She was outside last Monday and got hit by a car. It
is a pretty good life for an outside cat around my neighborhood but
cars are a big problem. She was one of the cats that we were able to
get fixed.

I just found out because I was in Florida for the week and once I got
home I was calling around to see if anyone knew where Scooter was. I
had taken in Scooter but would let him go out if he wanted to because
his girl and kittens are outside. My idiot cat sitter told me he was
going to keep Scooter inside but I guess Scooter whined enough to get
him to let him out.

The idiot subsequently let him in one day and then chased him out
because he thought that it wasn't Scooter (he had lost his collar
again). So he was outside during the big snow on Thursday/Friday. I
haven't seen him since I got back on Saturday but one of my neighbors
reports feeding him so I know he's ok.

Hopefully I'll get him back in tonight or tomorrow and make a
concerted effort to persuade him to give up his roaming ways. Losing
Pretty Girl like that was a shock, but I'd really hate to loose
Scooter. My other three cats, Espy, Nipsy, and Marlo, don't share my
appreciation for Scooter's fine qualities however.
Old March 2nd 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message

She was outside last Monday and got hit by a car.

Tragic and the fate of all too many indoor-outdoor and feral cats.

Old March 2nd 10, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 01:18:38 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .

She was outside last Monday and got hit by a car.

Tragic and the fate of all too many indoor-outdoor and feral cats.

I know. We just don't have enough homes for all these cats. It really
isn't a bad life for them around my neighborhood; the cars are really
the only big threat.
Old March 3rd 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:02:23 -0500, dgk wrote:

[...]

Thanking you for looking after these unfortunate cats, and helping to
improve their lives

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100303-0, 03/03/2010
Tested on: 3/3/2010 11:39:21 AM

Old March 4th 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Pretty Girl is dead, Scooter is missing. Now back.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:39:21 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

[...]

I'd like to let them all come in but I can't take care of any more.

I got home yesterday and Scooter was in the heated box I built for him
(and his family) near my front door. So he came in, got hissed at by
my other cats, and wanted to go back out. Later he came in again and
spent the night, lying next to my head. There was much hissing,
growling, and general posturing among the four felines, particularly
at feeding time(s).

I put Frontline on him since it's starting to warm up the slightest
bit and I can do without him bringing in fleas. I think it might be
best if I just kept him inside but when he goes out he sniffs and rubs
his girl (named Jet) and his two 4 month old kittens. I know he might
get hit by a car but I can't just cut him off from his family. They
really do travel around as a unit. It would make it easier on everyone
if he just moved in though. They were almost starting to get along
when I went to Florida, now it's like we're starting over again.