Free E Books on Know Your Cat?

Old March 12th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default Free E Books on Know Your Cat?

Anyone know of any?

I'm trying to find out what in the jungle is a hairball.

I purchased a brush to try to stop them, since someone
here recommed that.

What is the cure?

Fortunately I have a teenage (6 month old) cat, so it may be
awhile.

Old March 12th 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christine BA[_3_]

12.3.2010 23:52, Mark Earnest kirjoitti:
Anyone know of any?

I'm trying to find out what in the jungle is a hairball.

I purchased a brush to try to stop them, since someone
here recommed that.

What is the cure?

Fortunately I have a teenage (6 month old) cat, so it may be
awhile.

Just in case you're actually serious I'll try to explain it to you.
When a cat washes itself, it licks its fur. This causes the cat to
ingest loose fur. Sometimes cats then vomit this fur as something that
looks much more like an oblong squishy poop than a ball, but still
they're called hairBALLS.

This is why it was recommended that you get a brush and brush your kitty
regularly, so it wouldn't ingest so much fur when washing itself and
subsequently vomit it (usually) on a carpet or into a shoe or some such
where it has the greatest effect...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 13th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Christine BA" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Christine. I'm glad its not as serious as I thought.
No surgery required, that is.
My cat sure likes the brush.

Mark

Old March 13th 10, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christine BA[_3_]

13.3.2010 3:11, Mark Earnest kirjoitti:
"Christine wrote in message
[...]

In the worst case scenario, it CAN require surgery. If the cat ingests a
lot of fur, cannot hurk it up on your favourite carpet, the intestines
can get clogged with it when trying to process it in the normal fashion.
But then the cat can neither eat nor poop normally, as the passages are
full of fur. Kitty tries to eat, as it's very hungry, but vomits the
food unprocessed as the food cannot enter the intestines. That's when
surgery can be required.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 13th 10, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Christine wrote in message
[...]

Thank you again Christine in Finland. It's been about ten years
since I exchanged words with anyone from that country.
I'll just have to keep on brushing the cat, then.
That is the first time she ever came when I called her,
when I promised to brush her.

Mark
USA

Old March 13th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Christine wrote in message
[...]

Yes. A couple of years ago Meggie, our long haired female, got one that made
her stomach grow bigger and bigger as she ate......We thought she had a
tumor......Pretty soon, she stopped eating altogether, and the vet came and
took her away for an operation.They thought it was a cancer and told us that
they would cut it out if it was contained, and put her to sleep if it had
metastasized. We were quite relieved to find out that it was just a huge
hairball in her stomach. The vet said that it was the biggest hairball they
had ever seen. The operation cost us over $800, but Meggie is a great cat
and she was worth it. Now, we brush her regularly and keep a small dish of
butter for her (and the other cats) to lick when they are on the table.

Old March 13th 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Christine wrote in message
[...]

What is the butter for?
Is Meggie a long haired cat?

Old March 13th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

netamerica...

"Christine wrote in message
[...]

Butter (which they like) helps keep the hairs they swallow from stopping up
in their gastro intestinal track, and facilitates them passing through their
systems.

Is Meggie a long haired cat?

Yup. My first sentence above.........

Old March 14th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Christine wrote in message
[...]

Neat trick. I wish I had thought of that. I use olive oil spread, I hope
that works. They won't pig out on it, will they?

Is Meggie a long haired cat?

Yup. My first sentence above.........

OK, I missed that

Old March 15th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
ca...
Neat trick. I wish I had thought of that. I use olive oil spread, I hope
that works. They won't pig out on it, will they?

They don't seem to....The vet suggested it to me, and I knew they liked
butter, cause they liked to lick my toast in the morning, so I put some in a
dish for them to lick, and it seems to work, cause they haven't had to have
any hairball surgery for the last couple of years......But I brush 'em too,
so maybe the butter doesn't do anything at all.......