PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Feliway - before I waste my money

moi
July 8th 03, 09:40 AM
I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and wondered
if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:

I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
what I am looking for for my worried cat.

He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other cats
near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old he
started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting lost).
We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in strategic
places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his sister
(half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom has
tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like the
comforting effect of Feliway may help.

I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
significant difference?

Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as cheaply as
possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and £17.19).

Thanks!

Moi

*~*SooZy*~*
July 8th 03, 10:08 AM
"moi" > wrote in message
> I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and
wondered
> if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:
>
> I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> what I am looking for for my worried cat.
>
> He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other cats
> near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old he
> started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting lost).
> We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in strategic
> places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
> problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his sister
> (half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom has
> tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like the
> comforting effect of Feliway may help.
>
> I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
> significant difference?
>
> Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as cheaply
as
> possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and £17.19).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moi

yes I found somewhere cheaper think I replied to your posting in another
group Moi, with the links

*~*SooZy*~*
July 8th 03, 10:08 AM
"moi" > wrote in message
> I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and
wondered
> if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:
>
> I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> what I am looking for for my worried cat.
>
> He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other cats
> near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old he
> started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting lost).
> We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in strategic
> places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
> problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his sister
> (half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom has
> tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like the
> comforting effect of Feliway may help.
>
> I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
> significant difference?
>
> Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as cheaply
as
> possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and £17.19).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moi

yes I found somewhere cheaper think I replied to your posting in another
group Moi, with the links

moi
July 8th 03, 10:24 AM
Yes sorry SooZy, I was about to reply. I think I've found it as cheap as I'm
going to at http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/shop/Miscellaneous.htm
but I haven't spoken to anyone who has used it.

I have tried other products in the past aimed at keeping neighbouring cats
off his patch and they were just a waste of time. He is such an adorable
soft puddin' and I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of him - but I can't
stand my house smelling of cat pee. For what it's worth "Shout" stain
remover with enzymes spray (sold with the washing powders) is the best thing
for removing cat pee smells. It's the crawling around on my hands and knees
sniffing the furniture that gets me down! ;o)

I think I'll start another thread to tell people about Shout - they may find
it useful...

Thanks!

Moi

"*~*SooZy*~*" > wrote in message
> "moi" > wrote in message
> > I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and
> wondered
> > if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:
> >
> > I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> > what I am looking for for my worried cat.
> >
> > He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other
cats
> > near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old he
> > started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting
lost).
> > We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in
strategic
> > places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
> > problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his
sister
> > (half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom has
> > tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like the
> > comforting effect of Feliway may help.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
> > significant difference?
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as
cheaply
> as
> > possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and £17.19).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Moi
> >

> yes I found somewhere cheaper think I replied to your posting in another
> group Moi, with the links

*~*SooZy*~*
July 8th 03, 10:54 AM
I used to wash area with biological soap powder liquid and wipe the area
over with surgical spirit after, when I had my old cat which worked! I know
the feeling about the nose to the ground!!!!!!!! LOL

--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

"moi" > wrote in message
> Yes sorry SooZy, I was about to reply. I think I've found it as cheap as
I'm
> going to at http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/shop/Miscellaneous.htm
> but I haven't spoken to anyone who has used it.
>
> I have tried other products in the past aimed at keeping neighbouring cats
> off his patch and they were just a waste of time. He is such an adorable
> soft puddin' and I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of him - but I can't
> stand my house smelling of cat pee. For what it's worth "Shout" stain
> remover with enzymes spray (sold with the washing powders) is the best
thing
> for removing cat pee smells. It's the crawling around on my hands and
knees
> sniffing the furniture that gets me down! ;o)
>
> I think I'll start another thread to tell people about Shout - they may
find
> it useful...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moi
>

> "*~*SooZy*~*" > wrote in message
> > "moi" > wrote in message
> > > I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and
> > wondered
> > > if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:
> > >
> > > I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> > > what I am looking for for my worried cat.
> > >
> > > He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other
> cats
> > > near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old
he
> > > started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting
> lost).
> > > We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in
> strategic
> > > places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
> > > problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his
> sister
> > > (half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom
has
> > > tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like
the
> > > comforting effect of Feliway may help.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
> > > significant difference?
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as
> cheaply
> > as
> > > possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and
£17.19).

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Moi
> > >

> > yes I found somewhere cheaper think I replied to your posting in another
> > group Moi, with the links

*~*SooZy*~*
July 8th 03, 11:38 AM
"moi" > wrote in message
> I know
> > the feeling about the nose to the ground!!!!!!!! LOL
>
> Is it just me or once you smell it do you smell it *everywhere*! I go
around
> saying - I can smell pee. Can you smell pee? Do my hands smell of pee? -
The
> rest of the family think I'm pee obsessed at times and they don't seem to
> notice it. I'm not sure that getting one of those black lights would be a
> good thing - can you see me dashing round the house like a crime
> investigation scene?! LOL
>
> Moi

LOL no I was like that with my last cat! he is no longer with us :-(
I used to open the front door and smell it, just like you crawling about,
blotting bits of kitchen roll everywhere too!
yes black light seems like a good idea.

We haven't got any carpets anymore ;-)

*~*SooZy*~*
July 8th 03, 11:38 AM
"moi" > wrote in message
> I know
> > the feeling about the nose to the ground!!!!!!!! LOL
>
> Is it just me or once you smell it do you smell it *everywhere*! I go
around
> saying - I can smell pee. Can you smell pee? Do my hands smell of pee? -
The
> rest of the family think I'm pee obsessed at times and they don't seem to
> notice it. I'm not sure that getting one of those black lights would be a
> good thing - can you see me dashing round the house like a crime
> investigation scene?! LOL
>
> Moi

LOL no I was like that with my last cat! he is no longer with us :-(
I used to open the front door and smell it, just like you crawling about,
blotting bits of kitchen roll everywhere too!
yes black light seems like a good idea.

We haven't got any carpets anymore ;-)

moi
July 8th 03, 02:08 PM
> As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> etc.).

Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them? Also
what's a "head shop"?

Moi

.net...

"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...
> circa Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:57:04 +0000 (UTC), in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav, moi )
> said,
> >
> > > Have you tried a black light to help you locate urine spots? They are
> > > available as both corded and cordless units, and it would probably cut
> > down
> > > some on all of the crawling around as you try to locate the offending
> > spots.
> >
> > No I'd never heard of that. Is it the sort of think you see on these
> > forensic detective series where they are looking for blood? ;o/
> >
> > Does it show up anything else other than urine? Sometimes it's best not
> > know what is lurking! ;o)
> >
> > What sort of place stocks these sort of things?
> >
> Blood only shows up under black light if it has been sprayed with
> luminol (more forensic trivia for you ;-) ).
>
> As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> etc.). In the U.S., you can get black lights at pretty much any
> discount store, but I don't know about the U.K.
>
> Laura

Fat Freddy
July 8th 03, 05:11 PM
> > As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> > usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> > etc.).
>
> Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them? Also
> what's a "head shop"?

Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
posters.

These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
spots.

Fat Freddy
July 8th 03, 05:11 PM
> > As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> > usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> > etc.).
>
> Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them? Also
> what's a "head shop"?

Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
posters.

These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
spots.

Fat Freddy
July 8th 03, 05:27 PM
> I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> what I am looking for for my worried cat.

My Smokey, even thought nuetered, is very territorial and a prolific
sprayer. If a strange cat comes around, Smokey will spray every bush in
the yard to mark his territory. If the cat should happen to sneak into
the house, Smokey will spray inside.

So, I always keep a bottle of Feliway handy for those times. I spray it
on all his favorite marking spots such as door jambs and corners of
furniture and he calms down and doesn't spray.

I also keep two Feliway diffusers plugged in, but they are not much use
in the summer because we like to keep the windows open and the breeze
blows the Feliway out.

Fat Freddy
July 8th 03, 05:27 PM
> I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
> what I am looking for for my worried cat.

My Smokey, even thought nuetered, is very territorial and a prolific
sprayer. If a strange cat comes around, Smokey will spray every bush in
the yard to mark his territory. If the cat should happen to sneak into
the house, Smokey will spray inside.

So, I always keep a bottle of Feliway handy for those times. I spray it
on all his favorite marking spots such as door jambs and corners of
furniture and he calms down and doesn't spray.

I also keep two Feliway diffusers plugged in, but they are not much use
in the summer because we like to keep the windows open and the breeze
blows the Feliway out.

moi
July 8th 03, 05:50 PM
Well you learn something new everyday - bit surprised by how many on the
group knew about these things ;o)

I can even confess to going in these shops with hubby looking at gadgets and
stuff - no wonder I felt a bit out of place... Well that's another bit of
knowledge I can throw at my teenagers to show them I'm not as naive as they
think I am! ;o)

Moi

"Fat Freddy" > wrote in message
t...
> > > As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> > > usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> > > etc.).
> >
> > Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them?
Also
> > what's a "head shop"?
>
> Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
> flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
> with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
> drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
> items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
> posters.
>
> These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
> light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
> the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
> mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
> and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
> spots.

moi
July 8th 03, 05:50 PM
Well you learn something new everyday - bit surprised by how many on the
group knew about these things ;o)

I can even confess to going in these shops with hubby looking at gadgets and
stuff - no wonder I felt a bit out of place... Well that's another bit of
knowledge I can throw at my teenagers to show them I'm not as naive as they
think I am! ;o)

Moi

"Fat Freddy" > wrote in message
t...
> > > As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
> > > usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
> > > etc.).
> >
> > Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them?
Also
> > what's a "head shop"?
>
> Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
> flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
> with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
> drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
> items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
> posters.
>
> These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
> light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
> the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
> mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
> and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
> spots.

moi
July 8th 03, 05:57 PM
You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
> > the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
> > mine at Home Depot.

Yes I think I'll be happier shopping here - just hope I don't have to
explain what I want it for, then again maybe I would rather explain...!

;o)

Moi

"moi" > wrote in message
> Well you learn something new everyday - bit surprised by how many on the
> group knew about these things ;o)
>
> I can even confess to going in these shops with hubby looking at gadgets
and
> stuff - no wonder I felt a bit out of place... Well that's another bit of
> knowledge I can throw at my teenagers to show them I'm not as naive as
they
> think I am! ;o)
>
> Moi
>

> "Fat Freddy" > wrote in message
> t...
> > >
> > > Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell
them?
> Also
> > > what's a "head shop"?
> >
> > Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
> > flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
> > with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
> > drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
> > items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
> > posters.
> >
> > These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
> > light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
> > the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
> > mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
> > and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
> > spots.

moi
July 8th 03, 05:57 PM

"moi" > wrote in message
> Well you learn something new everyday - bit surprised by how many on the
> group knew about these things ;o)
>
> I can even confess to going in these shops with hubby looking at gadgets
and
> stuff - no wonder I felt a bit out of place... Well that's another bit of
> knowledge I can throw at my teenagers to show them I'm not as naive as
they
> think I am! ;o)
>
> Moi
>

> "Fat Freddy" > wrote in message
> t...
> > >
> > > Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell
them?
> Also
> > > what's a "head shop"?
> >
> > Certain paints and inks when illuminated with a black light will become
> > flourescent producing "psychedellic" effects, hence their popularity
> > with stoners who shop at "head shops" which are stores specializing in
> > drug related items such as bongs, pipes, and rolling papers, as well as
> > items to appreciate when stoned such as lava lamps and black light
> > posters.
> >
> > These stores and pet supply stores are not the best source of black
> > light bulbs. You can find much better prices and a larger selection in
> > the specialty light bulb section of your local building supply. I got
> > mine at Home Depot. The larger the bulb the better it will illuminate
> > and you won't have to get right down next to the carpet to find the
> > spots.

Sherry
July 9th 03, 03:16 AM
>Does it show up anything else other than urine? Sometimes it's best not to
>know what is lurking! ;o)
>
>What sort of place stocks these sort of things?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Moi

I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney problems and
got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I wanted to
just move.

Sherry

Sherry
July 9th 03, 03:16 AM
>Does it show up anything else other than urine? Sometimes it's best not to
>know what is lurking! ;o)
>
>What sort of place stocks these sort of things?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Moi

I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney problems and
got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I wanted to
just move.

Sherry

Cheryl
July 9th 03, 06:21 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message

> I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney
problems and
> got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I
wanted to
> just move.
>
> Sherry

Heh. I'd be afraid to shine one here, too. I bought my house from my
brother who has a poodle with peeing problems and even though the
carpets were cleaned, they weren't done with an enzymic solution.
Then there was Marley with megacolon... Shadow used to have a pee
problem in my old apartment but when we moved here he briefly peed on
a bed in a spare bedroom. I'm sure I'd see more. :O) Luckily I
don't smell it but I'm renovating the downstairs right now and going
to clean fully before I paint.

Cheryl
July 9th 03, 06:21 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message

> I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney
problems and
> got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I
wanted to
> just move.
>
> Sherry

Heh. I'd be afraid to shine one here, too. I bought my house from my
brother who has a poodle with peeing problems and even though the
carpets were cleaned, they weren't done with an enzymic solution.
Then there was Marley with megacolon... Shadow used to have a pee
problem in my old apartment but when we moved here he briefly peed on
a bed in a spare bedroom. I'm sure I'd see more. :O) Luckily I
don't smell it but I'm renovating the downstairs right now and going
to clean fully before I paint.

July 9th 03, 08:08 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
>
> > I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney
> problems and
> > got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I
> wanted to
> > just move.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> Heh. I'd be afraid to shine one here, too. I bought my house from my
> brother who has a poodle with peeing problems and even though the
> carpets were cleaned, they weren't done with an enzymic solution.
> Then there was Marley with megacolon... Shadow used to have a pee
> problem in my old apartment but when we moved here he briefly peed on
> a bed in a spare bedroom. I'm sure I'd see more. :O) Luckily I
> don't smell it but I'm renovating the downstairs right now and going
> to clean fully before I paint.

I got my "Stink Finder" black light and looked at the carpets in my house
before I ripped them out a couple of years ago. They looked like
Chernobyl!

I'm much happier with wood floors, esp. after we put a layer of super-duper
polyurethane on them. We bought this stuff called "Street Shoe" from a
janitorial supply and now the floor's tough as nails.

July 9th 03, 08:08 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
>
> > I had a bit of a problem with cat pee when my old cat got kidney
> problems and
> > got very old. The first time I shone a blacklight on the carpet I
> wanted to
> > just move.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> Heh. I'd be afraid to shine one here, too. I bought my house from my
> brother who has a poodle with peeing problems and even though the
> carpets were cleaned, they weren't done with an enzymic solution.
> Then there was Marley with megacolon... Shadow used to have a pee
> problem in my old apartment but when we moved here he briefly peed on
> a bed in a spare bedroom. I'm sure I'd see more. :O) Luckily I
> don't smell it but I'm renovating the downstairs right now and going
> to clean fully before I paint.

I got my "Stink Finder" black light and looked at the carpets in my house
before I ripped them out a couple of years ago. They looked like
Chernobyl!

I'm much happier with wood floors, esp. after we put a layer of super-duper
polyurethane on them. We bought this stuff called "Street Shoe" from a
janitorial supply and now the floor's tough as nails.

Pat O'Reilly
September 18th 05, 06:18 AM
Within 30 minutes of pluging in the Feli-Away, my cat gets in my lap, and
relaxes like I had given him a valium. He also looks up at me lovingly,
and craves affection, and also give it in return. It has an amazing effect
on my cat. Now, I can't afford it every month, at about $25 a pop. So I
used it when I will be gone for a week or 2 to make him relaxed.

He's still somewhat affectionate without it, but less relaxed and less
affectionate overall. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Pat