CatBanter

-   -   Blocked Tear Duct (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=87699)

Sharon April 7th 08 10:50 PM

Blocked Tear Duct

Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. A reddish brown discharge comes with it. When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. It cleared up right
away. It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. Is there a prevention for
this? What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!

Jo Firey April 7th 08 11:10 PM

Blocked Tear Duct

"Sharon" wrote in message
Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. A reddish brown discharge comes with it. When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. It cleared up right
away. It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. Is there a prevention for
this? What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!

Some cats have very small tear ducts to start with. My Rosie had one that
was totally blocked. I washed her face every day. She didn't know any
better so she didn't mind.

But once something happens to cause it to become inflamed, instead of just
being very small, the inflammation will cause it to block entirely. Turns
into a vicious circle.

I'd keep using the ointment, it likely has something in it to reduce the
swelling and infection.

BTW it doesn't just happen to cats, but you need to be tactful in making
comparisons. My four month old granddaughter also has problems with blocked
tear ducts. She will most likely outgrow it. For now a cold or allergies
with cause her problems and the warm wash cloth treatment is normally
enough. But not so sure my daughter appreciated me comparing her with my
cat.

Jo

[email protected] April 7th 08 11:33 PM

Blocked Tear Duct

Jo Firey wrote:

BTW it doesn't just happen to cats, but you need to be tactful in making
comparisons. My four month old granddaughter also has problems with blocked
tear ducts. She will most likely outgrow it. For now a cold or allergies
with cause her problems and the warm wash cloth treatment is normally
enough. But not so sure my daughter appreciated me comparing her with my
cat.

Some people need to get over themselves. Why is being compared to a cat
an insult to a human? I think it's an insult to the cat. :) (Joke, joke!
But the point I'm making isn't a joke.) Why do people feel that animals
are so far beneath us, that it's tactless to state that a human and a cat
could have the same physical problem?

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Kyla =^. .^= April 8th 08 09:57 AM

Blocked Tear Duct

bastXXXette
Jo Firey
[...]

Yeah, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Kyla
To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

CatNipped[_2_] April 8th 08 05:32 PM

Blocked Tear Duct

"Sharon" wrote in message
Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. A reddish brown discharge comes with it. When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. It cleared up right
away. It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. Is there a prevention for
this? What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!

Crush up 1/2 a 500mg tablet of L-Lysine (OTC in the vitamin section) into
his food twice daily. It cleared up Da Boyz eyes in about 4 weeks.

Hugs,

CatNipped

yepp April 8th 08 05:40 PM

Blocked Tear Duct

On Apr 7, 5:50*pm, Sharon wrote:
Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. *A reddish brown discharge comes with it. *When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. *It cleared up right
away. *It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. *He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. *I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. *Is there a prevention for
this? *What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!

So sorry Sharon. I had this problem with Casey, my Himalayan. The
vet prescribed a gel to put on the eye lid rim, which I did for
weeks. He also was given some eye drops. I forget what the names
were of these prescriptions. The vet said both his tear ducts were
non-existenet. None at all! This was when he was only a kitten
though. The vet also wanted to perform an operation to open them up.
It was expensive and I didn't go for it. As Casey got older, the eye
problems lessened and lessened. Since your cat is already 6 years
old, I would probably go to another vet and get a 2nd opinion or
treatment option. Good luck!