CatBanter

-   -   Dude, I'm Gettin' a Dell (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=2759)

Sherry April 15th 04 01:33 AM

Right, Karen! (Note to self: Try harder to keep the hick from leaking out)

That is known as "local color". You are not a "hick".

LOL, thanks Karen. You're just cuter than a speckled pup sleepin' in the
sunshine. :)

Sherry

John Biltz April 15th 04 02:38 AM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:38:45 -0700, Cheryl wrote
(in article ):

itty (Sherry ) dumped this in
on 14 Apr 2004:

First off, let me establish that I am a complete moron with respect to
all things technical. That said, I just have one more question; My
humane society membership list is on the old computer in Microsoft
Word.(from 1997, I don't know what version). I need it for newsletter
labels and stuff. The new computer has Microsoft Works Suite. Does
anyone know if that will work for keeping the list, and printing
labels? Will I have to re-enter the whole list?

They are not compatible the last time I tried. If you can still access the
file on the old computer, is it a document that you can save as ASCII text?
MS Works might be able to open that. Email me.

You have a number of options. The first is to simply install your old
Word on your new machine. You said you had a broadband connection so you
might consider giving Open Office a try. Its free, open source and
downloadable. I know people who use it and nothing else. Its meant to be
a free office replacement. When I last had XP I bought for $99 Works and
Word boxed together. I don't know if that is still available but it was
nice. You could price how much an upgrade to the latest Word would be
priced for a charitable organization.

Sam Nash April 15th 04 03:05 AM

"John Biltz" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 05:56:34 -0700, Karen Chuplis wrote
(in article ):

in article , MaryL at
AKE-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote on 4/14/04 5:02 AM:

I agree with MaryL about the RAM. It's usually the one thing you wish

you
had.

Its cheaper to buy it yourself. Generally, with manufacturers like Dell,
HP, Gateway and most of all Apple it will cost you 2 to 3 times as much.
If you buy it at a reseller then its a different story they will give you
what you ask for in terms of price.

You're absolutely correct, John, about the difference in price. However,
the instant you put in the larger/new memory sticks, your warranty's out the
window. Call 'em up and they send a sharp young kid out to look at your
problem. They see there's non-OEM memory and they quit working on the
problem, even if the memory has nothing to do with your issue. BTDT. If
one isn't "computernik" enough to argue with the tech, they're out of luck.
You would have to reproduce the problem without the non-OEM memory
"polluting" the system, and even then it's a toss-up as to whether the tech
will look at a system that "had been tampered with".

Just my .02.
Sam

MaryL April 15th 04 03:25 AM

"Sherry " wrote in message
Thing to remember, though, is that her old system sounds like it's
still running old software. For straight word processing I still
prefer Word Perfect 5.1, running out of DOS, and 32MB is more than
enough, and if most of my computer time was spent on WP now I'd
probably still be using the system I replaced last year. Since I
retired from the Army, though, WP is no longer a biggy, now it's
getting on line, playing with pictures, etc, and I love the new system
with 512MB.
--
Steve Touchstone,

First off, let me establish that I am a complete moron with respect to all
things technical. That said, I just have one more question; My humane

society
membership list is on the old computer in Microsoft Word.(from 1997, I

don't
know what version). I need it for newsletter labels and stuff. The new

computer
has Microsoft Works Suite. Does anyone know if that will work for keeping

the
list, and printing labels? Will I have to re-enter the whole list?
Sherry

Sherry,

They are not compatible. However, you should be able to open your Word
document (while still in Word) and use "save as" to save it as a Works
document. Be sure to give it a different name to avoid overwriting -- it
shouldn't be a problem because you should automatically get a different file
extension, but a new name would avoid any possible problems. If you have
any difficulty with this, I could do it for you if you want to send a copy
to me on disk. Send e-mail to me if you want to do this.

MaryL

Marina April 15th 04 03:45 AM

"Sherry " wrote
I think it means, living high on the hog. Nothing could be better. I

suppose
it relates back to if your cotton crop was doing really well, you'd have

great financial year, be well respected etc..

Karen

Right, Karen! (Note to self: Try harder to keep the hick from leaking out)

No, no, don't do that! I like learning new expressions, and this is a great
place for that, because there arer people from all over the world here. :o)
Anyway, there's nothing hick about it to me, it's just something I haven't
heard before.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki