CatBanter

-   -   Alternative to pilling (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108208)

---MIKE--- July 21st 12 07:26 PM

Alternative to pilling

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Ann791 July 21st 12 07:52 PM

Alternative to pilling

On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann

Bobble[_8_] July 21st 12 08:07 PM

Alternative to pilling

ann791 wrote in :

On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann

I've used the pill popper with all mine. Tip: once the pill is at the back
of the mouth, blow very gently on the cat's nose until he swallows it.

Bobble

Matthew[_3_] July 21st 12 08:39 PM

Alternative to pilling

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

can your pharmacist make it into a paste to mix with the food?

---MIKE--- July 21st 12 09:27 PM

Alternative to pilling

I have never had any luck with a pill popper. I tried pill pockets once
and that didn't work either. I am going to try mixing the crushed pill
with laxatone and putting that on his arm. The tuna flavor of the
laxatone might mask the taste of the pill.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) July 21st 12 09:46 PM

Alternative to pilling

ann791 wrote:
On 7/21/2012 2:26 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Have you tried a pill popper? It looks like a syringe with a rubber tip.
You put the pill in the tip and place it in the back of the cats mouth
and push the plunger.

Ann

That doesn't work with a really determined cat! (It's astonishing how
far they can spit those pills, when they adamantly refuse to take them!)

MaryL[_2_] July 21st 12 10:11 PM

Alternative to pilling

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crush the pill and mix it with a small amount of canned food (preferably a
favorite flavor of food). This doesn't work with all cats, but it is worth
trying.

MaryL

Bastette July 21st 12 10:46 PM

Alternative to pilling

---MIKE--- wrote:

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

Another idea would be to take Tiger to the vet once for a shot, and
have the vet show you how to give an injection. And then send you home
with liquid clavamox and syringes.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

[email protected] July 21st 12 10:49 PM

Alternative to pilling

Mike
If you mix it with Laxatone - the Laxatone coats the stomach so the pill won't be absorbed.

Can you put the cat on a counter at your height and open his mouth with one hand and put the pill in the back of his mouth with the other and close his mouth until he swallows? Just make up your mind that you CAN do it! The cat needs the medicine for his bladder infection!! If you don't have a positive mindset - the cat will know it!

The crushed up pills are very bitter. If you must go this way, I suggest not crushing the pill - put the pill in a small amount of Fancy Feast and sprinkle Lysine for Cats on top - the Lysine masks the smell of the pill. Lysine is good for the cat anyway.

Joy July 21st 12 10:50 PM

Alternative to pilling

"Bastette" wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:

I am supposed to get clavamox pills into Tiger twice a day. Hiding in
his food isn't working and I don't think he would eat "pill pockets". I
wonder if I could smash the pill, mix it with butter (or vasoline) and
smear the mixture on his fur. The alternative is a number of 20 mile
trips to the vet for a shot.

Another idea would be to take Tiger to the vet once for a shot, and
have the vet show you how to give an injection. And then send you home
with liquid clavamox and syringes.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Or maybe you can get the medicine in liquid form that can be squirted into
his mouth.

Joy