CatBanter

-   -   It wasn't Tiger (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108594)

---MIKE--- October 17th 12 01:31 PM

It wasn't Tiger

Yesterday, a little after 7 PM, I felt a mild shaking of the sofa. At
first I thought Tiger was sitting behind me scratching his head. But
no, he was asleep on the floor. It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Ann791 October 17th 12 02:13 PM

It wasn't Tiger

On 10/17/2012 8:31 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Yesterday, a little after 7 PM, I felt a mild shaking of the sofa. At
first I thought Tiger was sitting behind me scratching his head. But
no, he was asleep on the floor. It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

There were reports on the news that people felt the earthquake in
Connecticut but we did not feel it.

Ann

Wayne Mitchell October 17th 12 02:18 PM

It wasn't Tiger

(---MIKE---) wrote:

It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

Kinda piddlin', as earthquakes go. Wouldn't have made the news in
California, I suspect, but it gave the locals a thrill. It was centered
about 20 miles west of us here.
--

Wayne M.

dgk October 17th 12 02:57 PM

It wasn't Tiger

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:31:58 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

Yesterday, a little after 7 PM, I felt a mild shaking of the sofa. At
first I thought Tiger was sitting behind me scratching his head. But
no, he was asleep on the floor. It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I read about that. I only felt an earthquake once, when I was sitting
in bleachers watching a tennis match at the US Open. It felt like some
truck had backed into them. Not everyone noticed! But quite a few
folks were looking around. A ew minutes later the kid next to me
looked at his phone and said it had been an earthquake.

That is an odd feeling. I can understand why you thought it was Tiger.

Joy October 17th 12 07:07 PM

It wasn't Tiger

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Yesterday, a little after 7 PM, I felt a mild shaking of the sofa. At
first I thought Tiger was sitting behind me scratching his head. But
no, he was asleep on the floor. It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

A newsgroup friend in Boston felt it, but she didn't realize it was an
earthquake at the time.

Joy

Bastette October 17th 12 09:08 PM

It wasn't Tiger

---MIKE--- wrote:

Yesterday, a little after 7 PM, I felt a mild shaking of the sofa. At
first I thought Tiger was sitting behind me scratching his head. But
no, he was asleep on the floor. It was an earthquake - centered about
100 miles east of here.

It's sometimes hard to tell. There have been times when I thought there
was an earthquake, but it was just one of the cats scratching. :)

One time I heard a loud crash and bang, and felt the house shake (I live
on the second floor of a small apartment building). I was sure my downstairs
neighbor had a large piece of furniture fall over with lots of breakables
on it. So I called to see if she was OK, and she was all casual and said,
"I'm fine, no problems." I told her what it sounded like and she said, "Oh,
no, just an earthquake," like they happen every day. Which, it turns out,
they do, though usually you can't feel them.

I love looking up earthquakes on the USGS website (US Geological...
Survey?). You can report the quake on the site if you felt it. Turned
out this quake was only about 3.2, a baby earthquake, but the epicenter
was about a kilometer away!

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"

Adrian[_4_] October 17th 12 11:51 PM

It wasn't Tiger

LOL

--