A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Do cats eat more in winter?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 31st 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 382
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On Dec 30, 2:29*pm, CatNipped wrote:

There are chapters and chapters I could write about the very distinctive
digestive tract of cats that would further prove the necessity of a
canned food diet,


Or I could just point out my recent experience- when I had Dunzi and
Sarsi they'd get 3-4 pouches of wet food a day then quality dry to
free feed from. Did well on it

Then we got Bonnie..now she's a polite ladylike girl and once she got
over her initial shyness a very friendly one but there is one issue
she stamps her dainty little paw down on and that is her food- she has
a healthy appetite to put it mildly but she point blank refused to eat
kitten food wet or dry so we were forced to try the same diet we did
with Dunzi and Sarsi (Issi and Gaz never got special kitten food and
did well enough despite it) but that dainty little pink nose went
striaght up in the air when faced with dry food! And it soon became
obious Dunzi was the one who liked dry- Sarsi liked a little but that
was it

So now it's easier to put down 5-6 pouches of wet a day for both of
them- I have a small bag of IAMS and Sarsi likes a couple of pieces as
an occasional treat but literally a couple at this rate the smallest
bag will last half a year at least- I give them to her when she's been
good (At this moment the rate she's being good it will last a decade
or more)

The only problem we;ve had was when Felix "As Good as it Looks" went
onto special offer- this is a rather expensive pouched wet food that
we would normally only feed occasionally but after a few days of
feeding it every meal Sarsi was having loose poops that didn't smell
very nice at all so we switched back to the ordinary with some of the
good stuff now and again and her stomach settled down within 24-48
hours so maybe it was a bit rich

And they both look magnificent! Sarsi's always had a harsh thinnish
coat, which we put down to genetics- no she now boasts a longish silky
sleek coat and Bonnie's a picture of glowing health as well

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
  #12  
Old December 31st 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 117
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

CatNipped wrote:

One last comment... I give mine dry food occasionally (every 3rd or 4th
day they'll get half a handful to kibble) and they love it. But, like
children, you can't decide what they eat by how much they like it -
they'll always go for the sugary treat even at the expense of their health.


Wow! Such a useful post (even though I snipped it, since presumably
most of us already know these things). You're a rpca treasure.

Just a tiny nit (not even a pick) - hopefully you meant that the
*children* go for the sugary treats, not the kitties. As we all (should)
know, kitties have no receptors and can't taste sweet.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.
  #13  
Old December 31st 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,823
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On 12/30/2011 5:15 PM, Lesley wrote:
On Dec 30, 2:29 pm, wrote:

There are chapters and chapters I could write about the very distinctive
digestive tract of cats that would further prove the necessity of a
canned food diet,


Or I could just point out my recent experience- when I had Dunzi and
Sarsi they'd get 3-4 pouches of wet food a day then quality dry to
free feed from. Did well on it

Then we got Bonnie..now she's a polite ladylike girl and once she got
over her initial shyness a very friendly one but there is one issue
she stamps her dainty little paw down on and that is her food- she has
a healthy appetite to put it mildly but she point blank refused to eat
kitten food wet or dry so we were forced to try the same diet we did
with Dunzi and Sarsi (Issi and Gaz never got special kitten food and
did well enough despite it) but that dainty little pink nose went
striaght up in the air when faced with dry food! And it soon became
obious Dunzi was the one who liked dry- Sarsi liked a little but that
was it

So now it's easier to put down 5-6 pouches of wet a day for both of
them- I have a small bag of IAMS and Sarsi likes a couple of pieces as
an occasional treat but literally a couple at this rate the smallest
bag will last half a year at least- I give them to her when she's been
good (At this moment the rate she's being good it will last a decade
or more)

The only problem we;ve had was when Felix "As Good as it Looks" went
onto special offer- this is a rather expensive pouched wet food that
we would normally only feed occasionally but after a few days of
feeding it every meal Sarsi was having loose poops that didn't smell
very nice at all so we switched back to the ordinary with some of the
good stuff now and again and her stomach settled down within 24-48
hours so maybe it was a bit rich

And they both look magnificent! Sarsi's always had a harsh thinnish
coat, which we put down to genetics- no she now boasts a longish silky
sleek coat and Bonnie's a picture of glowing health as well

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs


Yeah, that's the biggest difference you'll see when they're switched to
canned - their coats get very luxurious.

Health-wise there's even been cases where diabetes was "cured" by
switching to a canned diet. I know there is no cure for diabetes, so I
have to assume it might not have been "true" diabetes, but all symptoms
went away and all medications were able to be stopped, so there's really
no difference. Cats are just not "built" to process carbohydrates.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

  #14  
Old December 31st 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 382
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On Dec 30, 4:00*pm, CatNipped wrote:


Yeah, that's the biggest difference you'll see when they're switched to
canned - their coats get very luxurious.


Sarsi looks like she' put a pound on but it's all coat and her slight
pot belly has gone- she is a magnificent picture of sleek, shiny
coated cat

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

  #15  
Old December 31st 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,985
Default Do cats eat more in winter?


"CatNipped" wrote in message
...

I completely agree with you, Lori, wet food is the way to go. Especially
for boycats who can get terribly blockages in their penises from eating dry
food as a main diet.
As I never had Boyfie from a kitten, I am fairly sure he always had dry from
his previous owners as he loves it so much. So because he does, he gets a
sprinkle of it at bedtime and has his main meals of wet food.
I'd rather his teeth decayed than he got blocked and there is evidence to
suggest that dry food contributes to kidney failure as the cats simply don't
drink enough and the high protein it contains is also dangerous for the
kidneys as cats get older.
At his last vet check in June his teeth were fine.

Tweed



  #16  
Old December 31st 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,823
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On 12/30/2011 7:31 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
...

I completely agree with you, Lori, wet food is the way to go. Especially
for boycats who can get terribly blockages in their penises from eating dry
food as a main diet.
As I never had Boyfie from a kitten, I am fairly sure he always had dry from
his previous owners as he loves it so much. So because he does, he gets a
sprinkle of it at bedtime and has his main meals of wet food.
I'd rather his teeth decayed than he got blocked and there is evidence to
suggest that dry food contributes to kidney failure as the cats simply don't
drink enough and the high protein it contains is also dangerous for the
kidneys as cats get older.
At his last vet check in June his teeth were fine.

Tweed




Mine have never had problems with their teeth - I think that has more to
do with the luck of the genetic draw than what food they eat.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

  #17  
Old December 31st 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,985
Default Do cats eat more in winter?


"CatNipped" wrote in message
...
On 12/30/2011 7:31 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
...

I completely agree with you, Lori, wet food is the way to go. Especially
for boycats who can get terribly blockages in their penises from eating
dry
food as a main diet.
As I never had Boyfie from a kitten, I am fairly sure he always had dry
from
his previous owners as he loves it so much. So because he does, he gets
a
sprinkle of it at bedtime and has his main meals of wet food.
I'd rather his teeth decayed than he got blocked and there is evidence to
suggest that dry food contributes to kidney failure as the cats simply
don't
drink enough and the high protein it contains is also dangerous for the
kidneys as cats get older.
At his last vet check in June his teeth were fine.

Tweed




Mine have never had problems with their teeth - I think that has more to
do with the luck of the genetic draw than what food they eat.


Kitty Farmcat had almost all her teeth when she was.. disappeared.. aged 25.
I don't know whether it was because she ate birdies all her life. Bring me
that collared dove!
Tweed



  #18  
Old January 1st 12, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 329
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

CatNipped wrote:

Mine have never had problems with their teeth - I think that
has more to do with the luck of the genetic draw than what
food they eat.


I'm sure that genetics plays a major role in dental health. It also
plays a major role in urinary health. There is no statistical support
for the idea that cats fed a dry diet will have more urinary blockages
than those fed canned food. Studies have shown that on average, cats
who eat dry take in as much water daily as cats who eat canned. But for
those few cats who happen to be genetically predisposed to blockage, and
who *don't* drink enough on there own, there would certainly be some
prophylactic value in feeding wet food. But more important than wet or
dry is feeding a diet that produces the desired pH to combat the
particular type of urolith to which the cat is prone.

--

Wayne M.
  #19  
Old January 1st 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 329
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:46:48 -0500, "J J Levin"
wrote:

Our two cats, Agatha and Edgar, seem to have bigger appetites now that the
weather is colder. Either I am giving them better food (I have not changed
their menu much) or they need more food because it's winter.

They share a small can of moist food morning and evening, and have kibble
available all day. But now he (more than she) is begging for more treats
after breakfast and after dinner. And he used to be sort of picky and pick
and choose which treats he ate, now he wolfs them all down.

Is this common?


a)winter padding. and b)cold-weather energy. Cats definitely run
around and play more in the Winter when the weather gets cool, and
that burns more calories. Plus they burn more energy keeping
themselves warm.
  #20  
Old January 1st 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 695
Default Do cats eat more in winter?

On Jan 1, 6:40*am, Kajikit wrote:
)cold-weather energy. Cats definitely run
around and play more in the Winter when the weather gets cool, and
that burns more calories.


I've noticed they do of a morning but this time of day- they're
crashed out and dead to the World! Bonnie is dreaming

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cats and winter cold John Smith Cat health & behaviour 9 December 22nd 07 05:47 PM
Winter landscape with cats 223rem Cat anecdotes 1 February 17th 07 07:25 PM
Pics: Winter cats Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 11th 07 09:34 PM
Feral Cats in the Winter [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 January 6th 07 02:23 PM
Cats eating more before winter ? Mathieu Paquette Cat health & behaviour 2 September 29th 06 09:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.