A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 13th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 674
Default Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)

I saw "Kedi" in Edinburgh tonight. Really enjoyable, lots of
beautiful cats and superb aerial photography of Istanbul that
shows it in a way I'd never imagined, and it makes a really
interesting point. While there are housecats in Istanbul,
someone near the end points out that they lose their "catness"
that way; the urban free-range setup does something unique
for both the cats and the people. They're not really feral,
more collectively owned, and result is that they glue the
community together very effectively - the cats know which
humans to go to and the humans bond around caring for their
local cat gang (at an extreme, one cat had persuaded one bloke
to be his veterinary transport and insurance provider, taking
him in every two weeks for months on end, while the cat would
climb over creeper branches to get in to upper-floor flats of
several neighbours by James-Bond-like athletic feats for a
choice of food and attention).

Several people comment that this human-cat ecosystem is
endangered by what's happening to Istanbul. With ever bigger
buildings and ever less dirt and green space, it's getting
much harder for cats to survive using the instincts they
evolved with.

It's warm-hearted film I think everybody here would like.
(My one reservation was the music, which I found rather
bland and anonymous, but I notice that more than most).

It has the most spectacular feline shouting match you'll
ever have heard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
  #2  
Old July 13th 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 394
Default Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)

On 7/12/2017 5:11 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I saw "Kedi" in Edinburgh tonight. Really enjoyable, lots of
beautiful cats and superb aerial photography of Istanbul that
shows it in a way I'd never imagined, and it makes a really
interesting point. While there are housecats in Istanbul,
someone near the end points out that they lose their "catness"
that way; the urban free-range setup does something unique
for both the cats and the people. They're not really feral,
more collectively owned, and result is that they glue the
community together very effectively - the cats know which
humans to go to and the humans bond around caring for their
local cat gang (at an extreme, one cat had persuaded one bloke
to be his veterinary transport and insurance provider, taking
him in every two weeks for months on end, while the cat would
climb over creeper branches to get in to upper-floor flats of
several neighbours by James-Bond-like athletic feats for a
choice of food and attention).

Several people comment that this human-cat ecosystem is
endangered by what's happening to Istanbul. With ever bigger
buildings and ever less dirt and green space, it's getting
much harder for cats to survive using the instincts they
evolved with.

It's warm-hearted film I think everybody here would like.
(My one reservation was the music, which I found rather
bland and anonymous, but I notice that more than most).

It has the most spectacular feline shouting match you'll
ever have heard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin


It definitely sounds like a worthwhile movie.
  #3  
Old July 13th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,579
Default Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)

On 7/12/2017 8:46 PM, Joy wrote:
On 7/12/2017 5:11 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I saw "Kedi" in Edinburgh tonight. Really enjoyable, lots of
beautiful cats and superb aerial photography of Istanbul that
shows it in a way I'd never imagined, and it makes a really
interesting point. While there are housecats in Istanbul,
someone near the end points out that they lose their "catness"
that way; the urban free-range setup does something unique
for both the cats and the people. They're not really feral,
more collectively owned, and result is that they glue the
community together very effectively - the cats know which
humans to go to and the humans bond around caring for their
local cat gang (at an extreme, one cat had persuaded one bloke
to be his veterinary transport and insurance provider, taking
him in every two weeks for months on end, while the cat would
climb over creeper branches to get in to upper-floor flats of
several neighbours by James-Bond-like athletic feats for a
choice of food and attention).

Several people comment that this human-cat ecosystem is
endangered by what's happening to Istanbul. With ever bigger
buildings and ever less dirt and green space, it's getting
much harder for cats to survive using the instincts they
evolved with.

It's warm-hearted film I think everybody here would like.
(My one reservation was the music, which I found rather
bland and anonymous, but I notice that more than most).

It has the most spectacular feline shouting match you'll
ever have heard.


It definitely sounds like a worthwhile movie.


It does, Joy (and Jack). Problem is I doubt I'll ever see it. I
haven't been to a movie theatre in decades, in fact I wouldn't know
where to find one around here. It might show up on PBS a couple of
years from now. It sounds interesting. I love the description of the
feline shouting match.

Oh, Jack, I do tend to notice music scores in films quite a bit.

Jill
  #4  
Old July 13th 17, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 674
Default Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)

I saw "Kedi" in Edinburgh tonight.
Problem is I doubt I'll ever see it. I haven't been to a movie
theatre in decades, in fact I wouldn't know where to find one
around here.


There was a logo displayed at the start and finish for "YouTube
Red", whatever that is - presumably a commercially licensed
channel for distributing content for cinema screenings. That
suggests they should have a version for home viewing pretty
soon.

I've hardly ever watched films at home, either with a video
player (I don't have a TV) or on a computer screen (I don't
like sitting at a desk for that long). If I want to watch a
film at all I'll do it in a cinema to get immersed in it.

For this film, a lot of it is shot from somewhere near a cat's
viewpoint, contrasted with downward-looking helicopter shots
of the districts where the cats live - this is very different
from the perspectives you get in most big-screen movies. It
might not have the same surprise effect on the small screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
  #5  
Old July 15th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,579
Default Kedi (film about Istanbul cats)

On 7/13/2017 6:22 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
I saw "Kedi" in Edinburgh tonight.

Problem is I doubt I'll ever see it. I haven't been to a movie
theatre in decades, in fact I wouldn't know where to find one
around here.


There was a logo displayed at the start and finish for "YouTube
Red", whatever that is - presumably a commercially licensed
channel for distributing content for cinema screenings. That
suggests they should have a version for home viewing pretty
soon.

Sorry, but I don't pay to "stream" anything on Youtube. I'm not paying
to watch a movie on a computer monitor or in front of a connected TV,
either.

I've hardly ever watched films at home, either with a video
player (I don't have a TV)


I have a TV, but I don't pay extra to get things like movie channels.
It's not a "smart" TV, doesn't also access the Internet or connect via
WiFi. It's just a nice medium size high def television.

If I want to watch a
film at all I'll do it in a cinema to get immersed in it.

Good for you! I simply don't have the option to go to a cinema. There
aren't any around here. If I did... it would be in some sort of
multiplex which would not be showing a movie like 'Kedi'.

Jill

For this film, a lot of it is shot from somewhere near a cat's
viewpoint, contrasted with downward-looking helicopter shots
of the districts where the cats live - this is very different
from the perspectives you get in most big-screen movies. It
might not have the same surprise effect on the small screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ping Jack: Istanbul cats Bastette[_3_] Cat anecdotes 5 July 2nd 17 02:55 PM
Istanbul cat Jack Campin Cat anecdotes 4 June 19th 17 08:48 PM
Cats in film Cindy Cat community 0 September 20th 08 03:03 PM
Istanbul cats Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 9 January 5th 07 03:09 PM
To Istanbul! Mlle. Anas ^..^ Cat community 19 April 21st 05 03:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.