Safe anti-septic to use on cat

Old November 14th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
T[_6_]

Default Safe anti-septic to use on cat

My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
to use on a cat?

Thanks

Old November 14th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"T" wrote in message
My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
to use on a cat?

Thanks

I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean that
way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.

Old November 14th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
T[_6_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
news

"T" wrote in message
My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream
safe to use on a cat?

Thanks

I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean
that way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.

Do you mean Neosporin lip health?

Old November 14th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"T" wrote in message
My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream
safe to use on a cat?

Thanks

I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean
that way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.

Do you mean Neosporin lip health?

No. The Neosporin I am talking about is an antiseptic jell that comes in a
tube. You can buy it over the counter at most drug stores, and it works very
well. First, you wash off the cut well, usually by running cold water on it
for a while. Then, You smear the Neosporin jell on it and then cover it with
a bandage to keep the jell from rubbing off, and keep the dirt out. It is
not poisonous, so it shouldn't do the cat any harm if he licks it off.

Old November 14th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"T" wrote in message
My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
to use on a cat?

Thanks

I would suggest that you carefully wash the wounds with a 50-50 solution of
Betadine and water. Dry afterwards and leave the wounds alone. Neosporin is
an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

Note: Do *not* use peroxide for cleaning the wounds. Peroxide cleans
without pain (which is why many people like it), but it then *inhibits* or
delays healing. I first learned this from my own doctor several years ago,
and then my vet told me the same thing. There are certain types of injuries
when we actually want to delay healing, but only a vet should make that
determination.

MaryL

Old November 15th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Neosporin is
an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading several
entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....

Old November 15th 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:

Neosporin is
an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading
several entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....

Hah. You're right, the distinction has muddied recently. I was surprised to
see that Cipro, the drug they commonly use against Anthrax, if you remember the
scare, is now classed as an antibiotic, while it was considered an antibacterial
before. The distinction used to be that antiseptics kill outright, without
subtlety (like alcohol and iodine and peroxide, frex), while antibiotics target
specific biochemical pathways of the bacteria and prevent them from functioning
and reproducing normally.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Old November 16th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Patok" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
Neosporin is
an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading
several entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....

Hah. You're right, the distinction has muddied recently. I was surprised
to see that Cipro, the drug they commonly use against Anthrax, if you
remember the scare, is now classed as an antibiotic, while it was
considered an antibacterial before. The distinction used to be that
antiseptics kill outright, without subtlety (like alcohol and iodine and
peroxide, frex), while antibiotics target specific biochemical pathways of
the bacteria and prevent them from functioning and reproducing normally.

My wife, who takes really good care of all our cats, told me that this
outfit, in Canada, has good prices on pet meds:
http://www.budgetpetcare.com/popular...t=cat_supplies

anti ann Stormmee Cat community 2 February 8th 10 03:59 AM
Tew Anti Heather Mosey =^..^=[_3_] Cat community 0 February 17th 09 09:21 PM
Tew Anti Heather Mosey =^..^=[_3_] Cat community 0 February 17th 09 04:57 AM
anti-social cat kitkat via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 0 October 26th 06 03:04 AM
For Anti Kami Carol Cat community 1 October 1st 03 11:12 PM