A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OT Venus transit today



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 5th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 869
Default OT Venus transit today

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

  #2  
Old June 5th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,591
Default OT Venus transit today


"---MIKE---" wrote in message
...
For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')


Unfortunately, I don't own welder's goggles And it's raining. I won't
be seeing Venus do anything with the sun today.

Jill

  #3  
Old June 6th 12, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,622
Default OT Venus transit today

---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.


Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for another big number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
  #4  
Old June 6th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,811
Default OT Venus transit today

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:55:37 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.


Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for another big number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.


I figure it's like the weather. Transits of Venus, eclipses, etc., are just
not possible to predict more than a few days ahead, due to chaos theory and
leprechauns and other factors.
  #5  
Old June 6th 12, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,622
Default OT Venus transit today

Takayuki wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:55:37 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:


---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.


Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for another big number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.


I figure it's like the weather. Transits of Venus, eclipses, etc., are just
not possible to predict more than a few days ahead, due to chaos theory and
leprechauns and other factors.


I assume you're joking - I think those things are very predictable.
I just think my sources (ie, the people who say "this is the last time
in our life we can see this") might be mistaken.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
  #6  
Old June 6th 12, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 675
Default OT Venus transit today

[transits of Venus]
Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't
for 105 years? That's a pretty irregular schedule.


They tend to come in pairs a few years apart, as you may recall from
the pair in 1892 BC and 1884 BC:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/transit...usCatalog.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
  #7  
Old June 6th 12, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,622
Default OT Venus transit today

Jack Campin wrote:

[transits of Venus]
Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't
for 105 years? That's a pretty irregular schedule.


They tend to come in pairs a few years apart, as you may recall from
the pair in 1892 BC and 1884 BC:


Yes, that's right - I should have remembered, having been there and
all. Thanks for the reminder.

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
  #8  
Old June 6th 12, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default OT Venus transit today

On 6/5/2012 3:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
...
For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')


Unfortunately, I don't own welder's goggles And it's raining. I won't
be seeing Venus do anything with the sun today.

Jill


The Sun was out and so was I and about 3,000 other people at the Sudekum
Planetarium in Nashville, TN. Here are a couple of people shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bud_hamblen/sets/72157630062798150/

OBrpca: Telescopes where the image is formed by a combination of
mirrors and lenses are referred to as catadioptric telescopes,
frequently shortened to _cats_.

Bud
  #9  
Old June 6th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default OT Venus transit today

On 6/5/2012 6:55 PM, Bastette wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.


Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for anotherbig number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.


Celestial events are the most regular things we know about. It will
teach you humility to realize that the universe rolls on, whether you
know or care about it or not. The universe certainly doesn't care about
you.

Transits of Venus occur in pairs eight years apart, but each pair of
transits are separated by more than a century. Only eight of them have
been seen by human eyes in all of recorded history. I feel fortunate
that circumstances permitted me to see this one.

Bud
  #10  
Old June 6th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default OT Venus transit today

On 6/6/2012 12:56 AM, Bastette wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:55:37 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:


---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for anotherbig number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.


I figure it's like the weather. Transits of Venus, eclipses, etc., are just
not possible to predict more than a few days ahead, due to chaos theory and
leprechauns and other factors.


I assume you're joking - I think those things are very predictable.
I just think my sources (ie, the people who say "this is the last time
in our life we can see this") might be mistaken.


You might live another one hundred and five years, but I am not counting
on it.

Bud



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Pre-Op Today CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 11 August 2nd 11 09:34 PM
OT Gas Was 2.88 today Matthew[_3_] Cat anecdotes 55 October 14th 08 04:41 AM
OT - Really down today CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 28 April 27th 08 10:24 PM
[OT][Geek] Transit of Venus Yowie Cat anecdotes 54 June 9th 04 12:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.