The trouble with animals

Old December 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Christina Websell

Default The trouble with animals

The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We get
them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live, we
want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain of
losing them.
There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving owners.
I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.

I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I didn't
want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
them always.
I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
bad moment in their lives.
My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came here,
and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
resting place under a tree here.

It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is. I
would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now that
one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your parrot
to someone in your will.

Just something to think about..

Your pain versus theirs.

Tweed

Old December 28th 04, 07:28 PM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear warning*,
this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise of those who
love pets.

http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 28th 04, 07:36 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:57:42 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Believe me, at my age, I have already thought about it. MLB

Old December 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Sheenah

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.

We get
them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we

live, we
want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the

pain of
losing them.
There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving

owners.

Tweed

Hi Tweed

Two days before Christmas, I called in at my vets to pick up some meds
for my old girl Thalia. While waiting in the reception area, an
elderly lady and, I assume, her daughter, came out of his consulting
room. Both were weeping. They had just had to have their cat put to
sleep :^(

After they'd moved out of earshot, a middle-aged lady who was waiting
with a cat whom she had brought up to see the vet, turned to me and
said "Why do we do it ?". For me, the answer is "Because we can give
them a wonderful life". It is for that and others reasons that this
cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
service of cats.

Best regards

Sheenah

Old December 28th 04, 07:57 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-28, CatNipped penned:

Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear warning*,
this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise of those who
love pets.

http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm

Arrrgh.

Uber tear warning.

I'm sitting here at work with tears rolling down my face!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 28th 04, 11:21 PM
Helen Miles

"Sheenah" wrote in message

It is for that and others reasons that this
cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
service of cats.///

It has always been my finding that the one who goes to Rainbow Bridge
sends another to take his or her place if it is needed. When I lost Sir
William, 4 days later Pandora arrived. She needed Tiger desperately, and
still does.

Had William not have gone to rainbow bridge, I wouldn't have been able
to keep her because my family was "full".

Just my $0.02

Helen M

Old December 28th 04, 11:26 PM
Nina K Pettis

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with you, Tweed! My roommate tried to apologize for
bringing Seth home (not that she had a choice, since he called her to
come get him!), but I told her he needed us, and I wouldn't trade the
seven weeks of joy we had with him for anything, even though the pain is
immense at the moment.

We loved him, spoiled him rotten, enjoyed every minute of him, and took
him to the best vet available when he became ill. He knew he was adored
and special and the best baby kitten ever, and he repaid all that with
boundless affection and hours of very loud purring.

Nina in Texas, in service to: Snickelfritz (RB), Pixel (RB 12/03), Rusty
(RB 9/9/04), Seth (RB 12/27/04), Skeeter, Kyle, and Jake -- and Lucas
--
Professional proofreading doesn’t cost – it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Old December 28th 04, 11:50 PM
Yoj

[...]

You make a very good point here. I hope I can always be that unselfish.

Joy

Old December 29th 04, 12:10 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article
lgate.org, "Helen
Miles" wrote:

"Sheenah" wrote in message

It is for that and others reasons that this
cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
service of cats.///

It has always been my finding that the one who goes to Rainbow Bridge
sends another to take his or her place if it is needed. When I lost Sir
William, 4 days later Pandora arrived. She needed Tiger desperately, and
still does.

Had William not have gone to rainbow bridge, I wouldn't have been able
to keep her because my family was "full".

It was something like that with Clifford, although I was happy to have
him as only cat after Chatterley died. A few weeks after he died, I went
to an adoption center just to see if I could look at cats. Somehow, I
felt a strong sense of his approval.

Much to my surprise, I came home with an adult (Mr. Clark) and two
unrelated kittens (Ding and Rhonda). As opposed to Clifford and
Chatterley (admittedly Chatterley had been the only cat for some
months), they immediately bonded and have always been extremely
affectionate to one another.

It may make sense -- Clifford had such personality that one cat just
might not have been enough to replace his impact.
Old December 29th 04, 01:55 PM
Katz

Nina K Pettis wrote:

Professional proofreading doesn't cost - it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Just had to say "Hi," Nina. I'm a proofreader, too. I've never
freelanced for a living, only at the request of a company client that
I've gotten to know. I currently work at a company that is 2 companies
in one. Continental Press is a publisher of supplemental textbooks.
www.continentalpress.com ITP is a commercial printer. itpofusa.com I
proofread the textbooks and just QC the commercial jobs for "look," as
well as proofreading all changes to our 3 web sites. I came from a
prepress background, with traditional proofreading before that, "back
in the day."

I looked at your site. Very nice. How do you like freelancing? I always
figured that I would starve to death if I tried to freelance; I'd never
get out of my PJs. LOL. And w/2 demanding furkids to support, I can't
risk it. I'm pleased to hear that there is enough work out there for
you to support yourself.

Katz, Daisy, & Miss Moxie