Is it o.k. to give cats "people" low sodium tuna

Old September 17th 05, 09:49 PM
deet

Default Is it o.k. to give cats "people" low sodium tuna

My vet has prescribed Hill's K-D food with chicken for my 8 year old
siamese cat. The only way I can get her to eat it is to mix in some
low sodium " people " tuna. I mix 1 part tuna to 2 parts K-D.

Is the tuna over-riding the benefits if K-D? And, what are the
benefits of K-D? Is there another way to provide those benefits?

TIA
__
Deet
Old September 17th 05, 10:16 PM
Phil P.

deet wrote in message news:432e8105.3806400@localhost...
My vet has prescribed Hill's K-D food with chicken for my 8 year old
siamese cat. The only way I can get her to eat it is to mix in some
low sodium " people " tuna. I mix 1 part tuna to 2 parts K-D.

I hope you haven't been using using tuna packed in oil.

Is the tuna over-riding the benefits if K-D?

Absolutely! The phosphorus in tuna is way too high for a cat with CRF. k/d
is specifically formulated to contain *low* phosphorus. In addition to the
phosphorus being too high, the calcium in tuna is way too low. This causes
an imbalance in the calcium-to-phosphorus ratio of *both* foods. The
protein content is also much to high for a renal cat. Cats with CRF are not
capable of eliminating the waste products of protein catabolism as
efficiently as a healthy cat. This can result in a build up of uremic
toxins in the blood and feeling of sickness- which can lead to inappetence.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Ca...onal_Facts.htm

And, what are the
benefits of K-D?

Low acidity, phosphorus, sodium, protein (although protein should not be
restricted until the BUN reaches 60-80 mg/dl).

Is there another way to provide those benefits?

Prescription Diet x/d with Chicken. Its more palatable, higher protein and
provides similar benefits as k/d.

Phil

Old September 17th 05, 11:40 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:16:19 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

deet wrote in message news:432e8105.3806400@localhost...
My vet has prescribed Hill's K-D food with chicken for my 8 year old
siamese cat. The only way I can get her to eat it is to mix in some
low sodium " people " tuna. I mix 1 part tuna to 2 parts K-D.

I hope you haven't been using using tuna packed in oil.

No- Just water and I drain the liquid and then rinse it a couple of
times with plain water.

Is the tuna over-riding the benefits if K-D?

Absolutely! The phosphorus in tuna is way too high for a cat with CRF. k/d
is specifically formulated to contain *low* phosphorus. In addition to the
phosphorus being too high, the calcium in tuna is way too low. This causes
an imbalance in the calcium-to-phosphorus ratio of *both* foods. The
protein content is also much to high for a renal cat. Cats with CRF are not
capable of eliminating the waste products of protein catabolism as
efficiently as a healthy cat. This can result in a build up of uremic
toxins in the blood and feeling of sickness- which can lead to inappetence.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Ca...onal_Facts.htm

{snip)

Prescription Diet x/d with Chicken. Its more palatable, higher protein and
provides similar benefits as k/d.

Phil

Thank you so much Phil--I'll stop the tuna right away and check with
my vet about the x/d . Now that I know the tuna is harmful, it will
be easier to bear hearing her complaints.

deet
Old September 18th 05, 10:56 AM
Phil P.

wrote:

deet wrote in message news:432e8105.3806400@localhost...
My vet has prescribed Hill's K-D food with chicken for my 8 year old
siamese cat. The only way I can get her to eat it is to mix in some
low sodium " people " tuna. I mix 1 part tuna to 2 parts K-D.

I hope you haven't been using tuna packed in oil.

[...]

The most important thing is that she eats. It doesn't matter how perfectly
formulated a special diet is if the cat won't eat it. Sometimes we must
make compromises and choose the lesser of the evils. Several regular
maintenance diets are low in phosphorus but unfortunately most are
acidified- which isn't very good for a renal cat. There are ways to counter
this effect but playing with a formulated diet can be very dangerous unless
you know exactly what you're doing.

If your cat won't eat any of the commercially available kidney diets
(several manufacturers make renal diets), the next best thing is a diet that
contains the lowest phosphorus and sodium you can find.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old September 18th 05, 05:49 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 05:56:01 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

wrote in message news:432c9857.9777248@localhost...
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:16:19 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

(snip).

http://www.maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Ca...onal_Facts.htm

{snip)

Prescription Diet x/d with Chicken. Its more palatable, higher protein

and
provides similar benefits as k/d.
(snip)

The most important thing is that she eats. It doesn't matter how perfectly
formulated a special diet is if the cat won't eat it. Sometimes we must
make compromises and choose the lesser of the evils. Several regular
maintenance diets are low in phosphorus but unfortunately most are
acidified- which isn't very good for a renal cat. There are ways to counter
this effect but playing with a formulated diet can be very dangerous unless
you know exactly what you're doing.

If your cat won't eat any of the commercially available kidney diets
(several manufacturers make renal diets), the next best thing is a diet that
contains the lowest phosphorus and sodium you can find.

Best of luck,

Phil

Thanks for the info. Incidentally, I went to your web site--it's
great, --very informative.

My vet isn't available on weekends, so I haven't been able to see if
he can get some of the x/d you recommended.

In the meantime, I have done a little experimenting to see what Miss
Purry will eat. The Hill's prescription K-D is untouchable without
tuna. However, she will eat Fancy Feast turkey and giblets
and Sheba roast turkey. In order to jump-start her into tasting
the food, I sprinkle it with chopped boiled chicken thighs or
breasts.

Once again Thanks.

__
Deet

Old September 18th 05, 08:52 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message news:432d99a9.12127209@localhost...
Thanks for the info. Incidentally, I went to your web site--it's
great, --very informative.

My vet isn't available on weekends, so I haven't been able to see if
he can get some of the x/d you recommended.

In the meantime, I have done a little experimenting to see what Miss
Purry will eat. The Hill's prescription K-D is untouchable without
tuna. However, she will eat Fancy Feast turkey and giblets

The phosphorus content of FF Turkey & Giblets is is far, *far*, too high
(0.45% AF/20.45% DMB)for a cat with CRF- or *any* cat for that matter. Try
the Science Diet Turkey & Giblets- much lower in phosphorus. In fact, all
the Science Diet formulas are low in phosphorus.

If your cat won't eat SD, The FF Marinated Chicken Feast, Marinated Beef
Feast, Marinated Salmon, Grilled Chicken Feast in Gravy, Minced Beef Feast,
Sliced Beef Feast, Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast, are all very low in
phosphorus. Be sure to read the labels carefully- Fancy Feast has several
product lines (e.g., Grilled, Marinated, Flaked, Roasted, Sliced, etc.) with
similar diet names.

Try the SD first.

Good luck,

Phil

Old September 18th 05, 10:00 PM

and Sheba roast turkey. In order to jump-start her into tasting
the food, I sprinkle it with chopped boiled chicken thighs or
breasts.

Heh wait, if she eats that, I remember running across diets that
Science Diet made for people willing to cook in their own homes if the
cats would not eat the commercial canned food. Since your cat will
already eat what you cook, you could make it pretty good for her if
necessary. I've tried with middling success but since my cat does not
have any special needs, it's not crucial - which is nice since I'm not
really setup for making foods like this, at this time.

http://www.holisticat.com/rxdiets.html#r/d

Go there for all the diets! i did not include the Hypoallergenic Diet
and the Reducing Diet since they might prefer you to go their home
page. It will list how much to feed and the breakdown of the food.
Interesting, yes?

http://www.holisticat.com/rxdiets.html#r/d

Recipes for Homemade Diets - Feline
retyped and annotated by: Vick

We've included these diets for those who would like to home cook for
their special needs pets but don't know what or how. Hill's Science
Diet provides recipes for homemade versions of their prescription diets
to clients whose pets wouldn't eat the canned or dry versions of their
Prescription Diets. The sheet these recipes came from is Copyright by
Hill's Pet Products, 1989.

* Feline Restricted Protein Diet
* Feline Reducing Diet
* Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet
* Feline Hypoallergenic Diet

Feline Restricted Protein Diet:

* 1/4 lb. liver (beef, chicken or pork only)
* 2 cups cooked white rice without salt
* 2 large hard cooked eggs, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon (5 grams) calcium carbonate (health food stores or
ground egg shells)
* 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute products)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline MDR for all
vitamins and minerals and 250 mg taurine/day.

Dice and braise the meat retaining the fat. Combine all ingredients and
mix well. Add water (not milk) as necessary to increase palatability.
Keep extra food covered in refrigerator.

A restricted protein Prescription Diet food, Feline k/d is available in
canned and dry formulas. Please call your vet's office if you have any
questions.

Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet

* 1/4 lb. liver (beef, chicken or pork only)
* 1 lb. Ground beef, cooked
* 1 cup cooked white rice without salt
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon calcium carbonate (health food stores or ground egg
shells)
* 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute products)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline MDR for all
vitamins and minerals and 250 mg taurine/day.

Cook the meat. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep extra
food covered in refrigerator.

Yields 1 3/4 lbs.

A mineral restricted Prescription Diet food, Feline c/d is available in

Old September 18th 05, 11:17 PM
Deet

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:52:46 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

(skip)

Try the SD first.

Good luck,

Phil

I'll try the SD first. and fortunately, if she won't eat that, she
likes some of the FF foods you listed.

Also I will check through the Hills recipes posted here by Treeline
12345. I know Miss Purry loves chicken liver.

Thanks again.

__
Deet
Old September 18th 05, 11:32 PM
Deet

On 18 Sep 2005 14:00:57 -0700, "

[...]

Hi Treeline 12345:

My cat loves chicken liver--and there's a healthfood store nearby that
carries some supplements for animals. I hope they come in liquid
form, because getting a pill down her is a huge production. Ms. Purry
is a "retired" siamese I got from a cattery a little over two years
ago, and we've adjusted to each other pretty well, I just can't clip
her claws or "pill" her. My vet takes care of those two minor
things.

Thanks so much for your help,

__
Deet